burning in throat when running

Options
mdelcott
mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
I recently took to running, The problem is I can run on a treadmil no problem no complaints. However when I try running outside I very quickly get a burning feeling in my throat that takes forever after I quit to go away, also this may be weird and I think it has something to do with my spit glands but my bottom front teeth in the gums gets a weird uncomfortable feeling. Does this happen to anyone else, and any advice as to how to make these issues stop. Thanks

Replies

• Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Treadmill running is completely different than outside running. I get crazy dry mouth when running outside and especially with using an inhaler before hand. I actually chew gum to keep my saliva going to help with it. Lol.
  • mdelcott
    Options
    I actually started out with gum but spit it out cause I was afraid that I would choke on it LOL
  • mdelcott
    Options
    no one else?????????????
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I get a burning sensation in my throat also after outside jogging. I end up coughing like a smoker for hours. I just attributed the burning and hacking to a high pollen count and/or terrible air. I live in a windy western climate so its full of dirt, sand and other impurities that make it miserable.One reason I prefer indoors.

Interesting thought on spit glands. Have you tried googling the problem?
  • mdelcott
    Options
    Trusty old google, Im off to do that now ;) Thanks
  • fattieb8110
    Options
    I go the same feeling the other day when I was riding my bike. We have a bike program at work. My partner and I took a pretty steep hill and by the time we reached the top, I couldn't stop coughing for at least 1/2 hour. The burning in my throught went right to my nose. I thought too it was a high pollen count. Guess I better get back on that bike. :) Good luck everybody.
  • ndmain1977
    ndmain1977 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started running in the ARMY. (years, and years, and pounds ago) I remember it took a while for your body to get "acclimatized" as our drill sergeants called it to the climate of the area your'e in. It did go away after 4 weeks or so, and I was able to run with no issues.

May just have to push through it. The climate indoors when your'e on a treadmill is consistent, and regulated... outdoors is a crapshoot on a daily basis, and even minor elevation changes can change the humidity or dryness several times along your route.. heck even running across a tiny stream would make a small humidity difference in that few yards.

If you're hitting up google, maybe try body acclimatization or something as your search term, but if your'e worried it's a medical issue, I have a strong feeling it's not simply because I dealt with the same thing when going from never running in my life, to running daily.
  • ndmain1977
    ndmain1977 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    http://sportsci.org/encyc/heataccl/heataccl.html

There you go... trusty old google :smile:

Guess the correct term is "Heat Acclimatization"
  • eimajb18
    eimajb18 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have found breathing through my nose to be REALLY helpful with running! I carry kleenex with me and I blow my nose about every half mile, but it solved my dry mouth issues and I can actually run much farther because my mouth isn't irritated.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    I get it.

I make sure that:

1.) hydrated
    2.) allergy pill is in system
    3.) suck on a couch drop before your run (this has helped me with heat and getting accumulated at high altitudes)

opps nevermind read about the heat acclimization.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I get the same feeling during my longer runs - will have to read!
  • 2013APC
    Options
    Burning in your throat is caused by cold air hitting the back of your throat for example (its warm inside your house and cold outside you get condensation on your window that's the reaction when running) your body temperature is 37 degrees so any air below that temperature will cause a burn in your throat however from my army preparation course experiance the correct way of breathing when running is to breathe in through your nose and out you mouth so you tranfer air differently to your lungs with more efficiency using the nasal airway passage, if anyone gets this they feel as if they need to spit a lot this is due to lactic acid build up due to not warming up it isn't flem its lactic acid what your muscles produce a lot of if you don't do a decent warm up so that's why you may find your spitting a lot so my advice to everyone is, don't breathe in through your mouth but your nose and out your mouth and to make sure you are fully warmed up before anytype of excercise to prevent any of the burning in your throat or spitting a lot of lactic acid up. Happy Days
  • AnikForest
    AnikForest Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing, the back of my throat is burning and my saliva gets thick.
    I read that i have to take reg pace inhale and exhale (2-2, 3-3 and 4-4 steps)
    Inhale using my noze and exhale with my mouth
    Also have to learn to use my belly not my chest, apparently that will help a lot

Going to try those trick today
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Sounds like allergies to pollen/mold/some type of allergen/irritant to me. (Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. But I have asthma & allergies.) Sometimes dry mouth can cause this, too. Like some others above, I'm also converting to nasal breathing while running and that seems to help some-it's a more efficient way to breathe and filters pollen better. Try bringing vitamin C drops with you. If it's allergies, try having an antihistamine before you run so your receptors aren't picking up every allergen/irritant. I have dry mouth a lot when I run, which sometimes results in the burning you are talking about (along with high pollen/mold counts). Also, try drinking a full glass of water before you run. Better hydration can help.