1200 Calories/Excercise

Options
So I'm new to this whole thing and have a couple questions.
Based on my CW and GW, MFP has set me at 1200 calories a day. Usually I go over by a couple hundred but nothing more. Right now I dont have time to workout ( other than the calories burned from cleaning/cooking) I know I know. Im not trying to make excuses! I've got a crazy work schedule right now...hoping things will calm down at the office after the holidays and I'll be able to get some real excercise in! With that said, my question is how do I know if I'm throwing my body into starvation mode? I read a post yesterday from someone that was burning half of her daily calorie intake and she didnt understand why she wasnt loosing weight. Since Im NOT really excercising awhole lot..am I okay with 1200-1400 calories a day?

Ahh. So confusing :grumble:

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Under Tools use the BMR calculator and see what that says for the number of calories you use just resting. I would not go under that and be sure to have something within 2 hours of waking up. Good luck.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Look at your goals page: here is what mine is....so eating 1200 i have a deficit of 470! this is how we are able to lose weight!

Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,670 calories/day
  • MissLinzi
    MissLinzi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My MBR is 1634..
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    My MBR is 1634..

so then technically if you're eating less than 1634 (even going over the 1200) you have a calorie deficit and will lose weight - although it might happen very slowly. you should not go into starvation mode if you eat at least the 1200. the deal with MFP is that the recommended 1200 calories a day is what you need to eat to lose 1 lb a week. If all you do is eat the 1200 calories and don't exersise you will lose somewhere around 1 lb a week. If you exersise and input that information MFP will automatically give you those exersise burned calories back to eat for that day so that you don't go into starvation mode and still continue to lose weight. This way you fuel your body properly and help tone, etc.

Really starvation mode doesn't happen all that often. Sometimes we think it does because we hit a plateau or we fall of the wagon but lie to ourselves about what we're really eating (and drinking). But most people don't experience a true starvation mode.

Banks has a ton of information on this so you may want to read the locked posts at the top of the General Diet and Weight Loss page.
  • MissLinzi
    Options
    Thanks Moujie :bigsmile:
    You just made the lightbulb turn on! Derr!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    1634 then is the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day. Since you don't, you burn quite a few more than than just by living, ie: it takes calories to shower, to eat, to work, to sit and watch tv, to do everything.

1200 is what many experts say is the minimum to eat, without your body slowing down it's organ functions (including brain, which means you feel foggy).

You are getting 1200-1400 a day, so you should be fine, with possibly some minor decrease of metabolism.

Exercise isn't really required for weight loss except that it is good for your health, burns up calories so you can eat more, and helps tone and firm your body.

ps: I am not an expert. Just spouting off what I've learned :)

Good luck!
  • MissLinzi
    Options
    1634 then is the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day. Since you don't, you burn quite a few more than than just by living, ie: it takes calories to shower, to eat, to work, to sit and watch tv, to do everything.

1200 is what many experts say is the minimum to eat, without your body slowing down it's organ functions (including brain, which means you feel foggy).

You are getting 1200-1400 a day, so you should be fine, with possibly some minor decrease of metabolism.

Exercise isn't really required for weight loss except that it is good for your health, burns up calories so you can eat more, and helps tone and firm your body.

ps: I am not an expert. Just spouting off what I've learned :)

Good luck!

Thanks dear :flowerforyou: It's all just ALOT of information to take it at once..but with the help of all the awesome people on here, I'll learn!
    And good job on the no smoking! I need to get alittle no smoker ticker as well!
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    Are you sure that number is correct?
  • MissLinzi
    Options
    Are you sure that number is correct?
    MY BMR?
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options