When do the cravings stop?!!?

Options
Seeking advice from the more experienced!!
When do the horrible intense cravings for the food you used to love so much STOP?!!?

I would almost kill for chips from KFC.....
Or a big fat chocolate covered icecream....
And god help anyone who brings chicken chips near me, AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

So far I've managed to avoid eating anything really horrid by eating something less horrid, eg diet chocolate mousse or yoghurt, dried fruit, nuts etc, but still these unbelievable cravings persist!! I keep telling myself it's for the greater good, it'll be so worth it etc, but this is what usually brings me unstuck in my diet attempts.

So tell me - How did/do you beat them?!!?

Replies

• akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    took me couple months to stop craving crap food. It takes a month to learn new habits, if you go without it for a couple of months, chances are, you will get into the habit of eating healthy. if you make it that long lols
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You still get the cravings from time to time, and sometimes i do have the odd thing, and then realise it wasn't that great. I found over time i felt like my fav bad things less and less. When I have the feeling I really think about it and say do you really need it, will it really make you feel better. I often find something else tasty but good to eat and find then the feeling goes away. I find when am hungry is when i start thinking about bad things. Also another thing that is helped is if at supermarkert or out and want something i put it in my MFP on my phone and see how many cals, when i see right there how bad it is for me and how it is way to many cals, i often am put off. It does take time, but you do get there. I also found allowing myself cheat days and having the odd KFC etc made it easier as didn't feel they were totally banned, have still lost weight by doing this.
  • Mullinspartyof5
    Options
    Awhile ago I actually saw on the show 60 minutes where they interviewed a well known nutritionist, and she had said that it takes about 5 days for it to be out of your system. It takes the same amount of time as it does to detox from heroin. I remember that like it was yesterday! Good luck! I've lost 70lbs so far and trust me when I say that absolutely NOTHING tastes as good as feeling good feels. Goos luck!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    By eating small portions of it and fitting it into your calorie limit for the day. Denying myself something I love, leads me to binge eat it anyway. If I crave it, I eat it but in very limited quantities. Especially French fries. I keep 10-20 on my plate and throw out the rest of it. If I know I'm not going to be able to stop at a few, I work out a little extra that day, so I can have a plateful of whatever it is I'm craving.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    drink black coffee, go for a walk, listen to music.
    they never stop :(
    just control yourself. for me, pre-bed snacking is the worst. that's when i can't control my cravings
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I had to stop eating out...stop eating sugar, fat & starch. I started cooking all my meals from scratch. No processed foods, pre made or fast foods. I started March 18th at 164 pounds...and today I am at 125 pounds.

I don't crave anything...and love eating fresh clean foods!

I have also stop drinking diet coke, which I loved. I had to stop drinking it...I just craved more junk!!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Once I figured out what set me off (soda and candy) I stopped binging. It took 3-4 weeks of having everything else pretty clean not to have awful cravings. What helped my in the beginning was deciding only to eat three moderate, nutritious meals, nothing in between.

I also found coffee helped in the early part of the day and warm water helped at night.

Finally, I started dealing with the emotional reasons I ate. That actually made it worse in the short run, but much better now.

Grind it out a few weeks.
  • jesslynne222
    Options
    When I get cravings I drink a glass of water and eat a few nuts (whole, unsalted almonds usually) or a small spoonful of peanut butter and try not to think about it. After a few minutes, the cravings usually subside. On the few occasions that they dont, I just take a small bite of whatever I'm craving. As long as you control yourself and dont over do it, its not going to kill your diet. I am the type of person that if i am craving something like icecream (example) and i *try to ignore it, after a while i end up giving in and eat the whole damn carton. I find that if I take just a small bite when i get a REALLY bad craving, it will satisfy me. Yes, its hard to stop after one bite, but its better than that nagging feeling from not having it at all.
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. I've had a few bumpy past few months. I was fast food / junk food free for almost a year and I started the HCG Ultra diet. After 3 weeks of being on that starving program, I had to stop it, but going from 1700 calories a day to 500 on the diet, my body was out of control. I started going to KFC and Jack in the Box for dinner every night and it took me a 2 months to slowly go less and less. I would gradually make myself dinner again and finally was able to step away from buying fast food.

The cravings for me still come and go, maybe not as extreme as before. Drinking water when I got really hungry also helped me.

Just do your best to push yourself and say no, I don't need this and just try to get past the obstacle the best you can. It's going to be tough, but it will pay off in the long run.
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Once I figured out what set me off (soda and candy) I stopped binging. It took 3-4 weeks of having everything else pretty clean not to have awful cravings. What helped my in the beginning was deciding only to eat three moderate, nutritious meals, nothing in between.

I also found coffee helped in the early part of the day and warm water helped at night.

Finally, I started dealing with the emotional reasons I ate. That actually made it worse in the short run, but much better now.

Grind it out a few weeks.

Oh yes, I think it's the emotional side of things I'm really going to struggle with.... I've always turned to food (and really really BAD food) when things weren't great and now I need to find another outlet. And I don't love exercise enough yet to use that!! Under stress I just want to eat and eat and eat, and there's this really loud pushy voice in my head screaming DO IT!!!! and a little voice in my heart saying you don't want it, you don't need it, you're stronger than this. I'm hoping, this time, THAT voice will win!
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Initially, I struggled as well and the cravings were crazy! Moderation and slightly better substitutions did not work for me at all. I decided to go cold turkey and **completely** avoid the junk -- which for me was sugar. It was very tough for a couple weeks but then the cravings disappeared and I no longer cared about those foods.

Now, cut forward to maintenance...that became really hard all over again because I am more liberal with my calories I started eating "just a little" of foods that then trigger those cravings all over again. The only difference now is that I can recognize clear alternatives and see then for what they are! So it doesn't necessarily get easier, it's just that you can be really proud of the results of your sacrifices!
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I still get cravings sometimes, but like someone else already said, it doesn't taste as great as I remember. I've found that the cleaner I eat, the less I want junk. The difference in how my body feels (and even looks) is noticeable when I eat cleaner, and I know that eating everything I want would get me nowhere. You can substitute your favorite foods and lower the frequency with which you eat them. I'm not saying you have to eliminate them completely, but eating cleaner really helps the cravings go away faster.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I feel the cravings will always be there. Unfortunately. But if I know this and have tools to deal with the brain's crazy desire to do what we don't want to do - like eat bad foods, I can focus better.

I allow myself some of those foods by planning them into my days foods. Not everyday, but often enough to not feel deprived.
    I don't let myself get hungry.
    I eat lots of good protein, because it tastes good and keeps my cravings down.
    I try to not eat sugar. And never processed sugars, treats, candy, etc. If I am going to eat dessert it will be a home made one. And only one piece.
    The cravings can be overcome when I really think about how fabulous I look being slender.

There are so many tricks to use to overcome the cravings. Just use them.

Plan your meals. It helps so much.

The cravings get better. But will always be there. Somedays are worse than others.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You still get the cravings from time to time, and sometimes i do have the odd thing, and then realise it wasn't that great.

^ THIS
    I don't deny myself anything but I fit in into my calories. There are a number of things I've wanted and then only eaten a bit of because it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. x
  • aevasabo
    aevasabo Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm inclined to agree with those telling you to exercise restraint and judgment. I've talked to several nutritionists, and they agree that cravings are how the body tells you it needs something. Unfortunately, we often try to correct that deficiency with the wrong thing (garbage). Drinking water, checking calorie count before you eat and healthy snacks are great ideas, but you might consider trying to find a healthier treat.

My thing is coffee in the morning and a very small bit of peanut butter at night. Not too long ago, I would've eaten that entire bag of dark chocolate mini-pretzels; I ate 1/4 serving and took the dogs for a short walk. I've also been on a bit of a citrus binge.

Additionally, consider that compulsive eating behavior is very similar to drug addiction with respect to brain chemistry and satiation. So yeah, it will take time to learn how to be satisfied with proper nutrition, but you can do it if you want to.

You *may* wish to write down your motivators on index cards or something too. This is a psychotherapy technique, and it's designed to provide you with a less abstract reminder when you feel avoidant. For example, some of mine are "you will regret it later", and "any progress is better than none". Silly, maybe, but effective.

Best wishes :)
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Moderation is key, I do not deprive myself of anything, just work out a little bit more :) deprivation leads to bingeing and in my opinion, is not sustainable for a lifestyle adjustment......just my two cents.

Edited for typos :/
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions, you've all been really helpful!! Scary knowing they possibly won't stop, but great to know it's not just me it's happening to :heart:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i do low carb, this way i can completely eliminate bad carbs, and focus on veggies and yummy proteins.

once i'm in ketosis, i don't physically crave them, just mentally.
  • heartofdorkness
    Options
    took me couple months to stop craving crap food. It takes a month to learn new habits, if you go without it for a couple of months, chances are, you will get into the habit of eating healthy. if you make it that long lols

This has already happened to me already. A couple of weeks ago I craved a giant, greasy cheeseburger and fries. I didn't get one at the time, but I did on Father's Day. (Going out for fast food burgers was my dad's choice.) And you know what happened? It made me feel like crap! I'd been eating pretty healthy for a good while, and suddenly having all that grease and sodium in one sitting made me sick to my stomach. I got to have dinner with my dad, though, so I think it might've been worth it. lol

I don't crave fried food very much anymore, but I still have a huge sweet tooth. I don't deprive myself. Instead, I've learned how to keep my portions under control. Instead of an entire bar of chocolate, I'll have one square and I'm good. I also love ice cream, and getting single serving tubs instead of pints or quarts has been a lifesaver.
  • delight232003
    delight232003 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I decided when I started all this that I wasn't going to deprive myself. My weeknesses are chocolate and ice cream. And I usually have 100-200 calories of that stuff almost every day. But, I always look at my calories first and look up how many calories the junk food will be. Then, I do some sort of cardio to exceed that calorie intake before I eat the junk food. If I still want it after I exercise, then I feel that I have at least earned it. I do other cardio and yoga during the day anyway and only allow myself to eat out every once in a while. So the chocolate and the Ice cream are what I allow myself as long as I am willing to put the work in.