Rowing machine or not?

Options
LT90x
LT90x Posts: 18 Member
Hi

I'm fairly new to this and do pratically no exercise at all - which obviously needs to change!

Ideally I need to be doing cardiovascular (sorry if I spelt it wrong lol!).

I was considering buying a rowing machine. Not to sound like a novice but would this help with cardio as well as toning or am I better going for another piece of equipment?

Thank you

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Rowing machines may be one of the single most useful pieces of exercise equipment ever (the only one I consider better is the running shoe).

You get a combination of a full body workout as well as cardiovascular fitness - you'll get your heart-rate up for sure.

If you're looking for the best machine on the market (and surprisingly nowhere near the most expensive) have a look at the Concept2 models - they are what many university & national rowing teams train on in the off season.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

A rowing machine is excellent cardio, and HARD! I can run for hours but only row for a short time. When starting new exercise, initially you will see strength benefits, but before too long you will need to do separate resistance training to see benefits, either with weights or body-weight (push-ups, sit-ups, squats and lunges etc.)

The best exercise is one you love, and if you don't know for sure you love rowing, don't buy it! If you know a friend who has one or can go to a gym to try it, do that first. Also get someone to show you proper rowing form.

If you do get one, don't get a cheapo model, it will hurt your back and not give you the benefits you're looking for. Get the best you can afford, perhaps second hand from somewhere like Gumtree of Craigslist.

But if you're just starting out exercise, I recommend doing it on the cheap. Start walking fast, and maybe add in a few running intervals, perhaps using a programme like Couch To 5K (C25K). Get a few exercise DVDs and dumbbells - next to nothing if you get them second hand.

Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • LT90x
    LT90x Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.

I intend on mixing zumba with rowing, so hopefully I will see some results :smile: x
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.

I intend on mixing zumba with rowing, so hopefully I will see some results :smile: x
    For sure - Good Luck!
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love the rowing machine which I use with my PT, and it seems great for your butt!!
  • LastPyro
    LastPyro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why invest money when you can get awesome results for free without any equipment?
    Check out www.bodyrock.tv (or also on facebook)
    I started bodyrocking in December last year and I am totally addicted :)
    the community is great, the workouts are awesome and for free.
    and the best thing (for me ..) is that the workouts are only 12 minutes long and I have not a single excuse not to do it.

just give it a try

aloha,
    verena
  • leatitiaa
    leatitiaa Posts: 17
    Options
    You need a fair bit of rowing technique to get the most out of the exercise. I can recommend it but please get a qualified rowing instructor to help you with the movement. You need to do the movement right or it can hurt your back.