Avocado

Options
13»

Replies

• chikpea83
    chikpea83 Posts: 4
    Options
    Try a Jicama Avacado Salad. 1 c. (or less) sliced/chopped jicama, 1/2 avacado chopped, 1 small roma/plum tomato chopped, 1 Tablespoon chopped red onion, lime juice and salt and tiny drizzle of olive or grape seed oil. Tastes ok without the olive oil if you are concerned about fat calories. Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce or without it. HINT: slicing jicama thinly enhances the flavor. To keep Jicama fresh, peel (cut in half or quarters, use a paring knife or potato peeler), slice/chop entire fruit, then put in a zip lock with a tiny bit of lime juice, move it around in bag, so all gets a little lime juice on it, and keep in crisper drawer in the refrigerator. It should be okay for about a week without getting mushy. Jicama? Also called ugly fruit. It's a little sweet, and sort of tastes like/has texture like a crispy pear. To me, it tastes like a potato and apple got together and grew a new fruit. Not available at your grocery store? Just ask produce manager to get some for you, or shop in a neighborhood with higher population of Hispanics. IF you like fish: Leave out the olive oil and a serving of add sardines or anchovies (in water, NOT oil) on the side for healthy and tasty dose of Omega 3.
  • jwillie76
    jwillie76 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My favorite avocado meal is served in a spinach wrap with zesty garlic hummus. Yummy. Also a grilled cheese-avacado sandwich is very decadent and I only have it on special occasions.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It may sound horrible but my Japanese friend, who is also a chef, turned me onto this. It's her version of guacamole:

Can of tuna in water drained, mixed with one whole mashed avocado, small seeded & diced tomato, cilantro, green onion, S&P. I was skeptical until I tasted it. It is awesome. And now I'm craving it and don't have avocados in the house. :(
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I like to mash mine and use it instead of mayo in tuna salad. One of my favorite quick and easy lunches is a can of tuna mixed with a mashed avocado, some salt, pepper and tomato slices - either just in a bowl, or as a wrap/sandwich. It makes a fair amount, so I can get 2 meals out of it if I make sandwiches.

Oops someone beat me to it. But I'm glad, it proves it's awesome.
  • MollDoll81
    MollDoll81 Posts: 43
    Options
    My mom makes this amazing "Avocado Mayo", a sandwich spread she uses in place of mayonnaise. Finally wrangled the recipe from her last week.
    1 avocado cubed
    3 Tbs olive oil
    1 Tbs honey or 1 date cut up
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbs orange juice
    Sea salt to taste
    Blend together with food processor or immersion blender

I also make homemade ranch dressing, and sometimes throw an avocado in to thicken it up and turn it into a more Green Goddess-y type dip.
  • MollDoll81
    MollDoll81 Posts: 43
    Options
    Sliced avocado, sliced tomato, garlic hummus and homemade whole wheat bread. MMmmmmmm.

I just tried this recipe last night and it was lovely:

Avocado Soup
    1 Avocado, cut into chunks
    2 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 cucumber, peeled, cut into chunks
    small handful of cilantro
    1 green onion, roots removed
    1 Tbl Lime juice
    2 Tbl greek yogurt (optional)

Blend all in the blender! Add salt and pepper and/or croutons if desired. (I dipped my salmon cakes in it!)

That sounds fantastic!
  • RosmaryApplestrudle
    Options
    Bump
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Yesterday I toasted a slice of bread, smashed avocado on it, put homegrown tomato slices on top, and then sprinkled sea salt over it all. It was amazing.