My hair sucks, and I'm depressed.

Options
Krazy_Kat
Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
I have horrible hair, I want to shave it off. No matter how much or how little I wash it, it looks oily. Like an oil slick. If a penguin gets too close they're in peril. :(

I was doing errands today and one of them was updating an ID, I forgot I needed a photo taken. I was like "waaaa do I have to"...The lady there was nice and said I didn't have to. But, I thought I was there and I may as well get it over with. So I hummed and harred and asked if I looked ok, and she was like "Errrrrrr" and hesitated, so I knew I looked like crap. So I said I'll come back in a few days, as I hadn't had much sleep and she said yeah, come back when you've dried your hair. DRIED MY HAIR? WTF It wasn't wet! I washed it the day before. My hair is so stupid, in one day it gets so oily it looks like it's wet?!!!!??? I hate my hair. I can't seem to fix it.

Also she showed me my ID picture I got taken in 1998, I was so slim and pretty, and my hair was nice. So now I feel old, fat with disgusting hair.

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Do you have fine/thin hair? This happens to me because of these issues :sad:
  • letsgetskinny88
    Options
    I'm sure you are fine.
    But for thinning hair try taking some biotin, it truly helps! Also a good diet and loads of water help too.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo. Without it my hair looks greasy after 1 day, with it, my hair looks amazing plus it gives it extra body.

One other thing you can do is when you wash it, don't shampoo the roots, start by rubbing the shampoo in the ends then work up to your scalp only gently massaging it in, more of a skim over really, then when you condition, never ever let it go within 3 inches of your scalp.

But invest in some dry shampoo, it's the bolloxs.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    Yeah, fine hair, hormones and genes. My mother had the same hair, but it got dry when she went through menopause, now she hardly ever washes it! Grrrrrr
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    But invest in some dry shampoo, it's the bolloxs.

What color hair do you have? I was just curious b/c my hair is black and I'm always worried that the dry shampoo will just make me look like I've gone grey. I heard there were some dark pigmented dry shampoos, but that they are 'a mess' - lolz.
  • jenniferleigh30
    jenniferleigh30 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I absolutely have to wash my hair every day or it looks greasy. I've been known to wash it twice in one day if I'm going out at night and haven't washed it since early morning!

I have baby fine hair so it gets greasy really fast, especially in the summer!
  • scarlettgeorgia4
    scarlettgeorgia4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    just put some talc/dry shampoo on it, does wonders ;)
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    I have the opposite problem - dry hair but some guys at MIT came up with a new shampoo that works for me and they have one for all types of hair. The products bind something to your hair shaft to keep them separated. Maybe that would make yours look less like an oil slick. The products are called "Living Proof" and are available at ULTA, Nordstrom's, QVC, online and other places. They aren't cheap but you can buy small sizes to try. Good luck.
  • JPal5
    JPal5 Posts: 178
    Options
    I have fine oily hair and went through the exact same. Found out its the silicone in shampoo and conditioner that weighs it down and just makes it an oily mess. Swapped my shampoo and conditioner for a paraben and silicone free range and my hair looks and feels amazing!
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have dyed black hair and use a white dry shampoo, a quick spray and brush through makes it invisible and it really is the bomb. I have really long thick hair and its so heavy it never has any volume at the roots, thats where the dry shampoo comes in ;-)

Oh and ignore the profile pic, its a wig
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I have horrible hair, I want to shave it off. No matter how much or how little I wash it, it looks oily. Like an oil slick. If a penguin gets too close they're in peril. :(

OP - that sound frustrating. I know this is a bizarro question, but is it possible that your water supply has something to do with it?
    'Soft' water might leave a residue...
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Supplement with biotin, and make sure you are getting plenty of protein in your diet. It did wonders for my hair. :D Also, how's your thyroid? It can cause hair issues.
  • FhoShplunk
    FhoShplunk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My hair is the same way - If I don't wash it EVERY DAY I look like an oily mess. So it's my habit to shower every morning and I'm good to go. That's the only way I know how to deal with it. I think I'll try conditioning only the ends though, like someone else suggested.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i definitely agree with the dry shampoo. try looking up some specific shampoos for your hair type and that won't weigh it down.. i only wash my hair every couple of days so i don't know what type to recommend. :ohwell: do you use any products in your hair?
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Definitely go with a sulfate and paraben free product...these are the ingredients that make your hair lather when you're actually washing. They aren't necessary to get clean hair.

I use Wen products. They're amazing...
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have fine oily hair and went through the exact same. Found out its the silicone in shampoo and conditioner that weighs it down and just makes it an oily mess. Swapped my shampoo and conditioner for a paraben and silicone free range and my hair looks and feels amazing!

Couldn't agree more with this! I use silicone and paraben-free shampoo and conditioner that I buy from a natural market and it significantly changed how oily my hair gets. Also, I only condition the ends.
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or not, but make sure you're using something for normal to oily hair. You might be using all the wrong products.

When you put product in your hair start at the tips work up avoid putting too close to your roots.

Do you use an iron of any type on your hair? I love to put my hair through my chi then if I want my curls back I'll go from there...now that my hair is long it's so much for fun to play with!!

I have naturally horrible hair it's really thick and so curly that if I don't take time with it or have a proper cut it looks like a witches hair!! So I feel you on hating my hair.

With having a thinning issue some times volume products work from what I've heard. I worked with a lady who had thinning problems and she would use volume products and curling wands to boost the hair.

Good luck! Best thing you can do also is go to a proper salon and get advice and ideas on hair!!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair everyday because it is oily otherwise. Use a normal/oily shampoo and just use a tiny bit of volumnising conditioner only on the ends and wash it away straight away. Buy a can of Batiste Dry Shampoo and after you have blow dryed your hair, spray a bit into your roots and rub it in. Bring a small can in your handbag to touch it up throughout the day. There is no way you cna get oily hair if you follow this routine
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    I tried dry shampoo once. It was expensive and hard to find, and I wasn't wowed. I could try another brand. (what brands do you use?)

I like the washing advice. I have limited hot water. Maybe I can join the Y just so I can use their showers! haha

My hair is worse with town water....I have no hope I have to wear a bag on my head. I now have rain water to wash in and it's better, but apparently still bloody obvious, :(

My thyroid is probably a bit iffy.
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have curly, frizzy, wavy hair. It's worse. So very much worse. - I straighten it twice a day typically.. And my hair is long as hell.