Ruuning/Jogging and being safe.

Options
This is coming from another topic I posted in a group forum. I have spoken to a lot of women that are afraid to run alone. I'll admit that a running partner is the best bet, but sometimes that just is not a viable option. So i took some knowledge that I have, from being in the Army and being a weapons instructor with them and as a civilian, And I thought I would out this here as a quick guide of what to do if you have concerns about running alone or in a rough area.

First, I want to dispel the myth that, "I live in a good area, and it won't happen to me." WRONG. Also, "That stuff only happens in big cities" Also WRONG.

There are a few good tips and tricks you can do to make sure you are as safe as possible while doing your daily work outs/runs.

Let someone know where you're running.
Before you head out for your run, make sure you let someone else know where you're running. Also tell them approximately how long you'll be running for.

Carry identification.
Put your driver's license and your medical insurance card (in case you get injured) in your pocket or wear an ID tag on your shoe. If you're wearing an ID tag or bracelet, make sure it has an emergency contact number on it. Whenever possible, try to run with your cell phone, and save your ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers.

Be visible.
It's easy to miss a single runner on the road, so make sure you're visible. If you're running in the early morning or at night, even at dusk, wear white, yellow, or orange clothes. Also, make sure you have reflective gear on. Although some items (running shoes, jackets) already have reflective pieces on them, it doesn't hurt to add more.

Use common sense.
Before you even head out for a run, take a minute or two to do a safety check. Are your shoes tied? Are you familiar with your route? Once you start running, continue with the safety checks. Make sure you're running off the street or against traffic (so you can see cars coming at you). Watch out for cracks or bumps in the sidewalk, or rocks and branches on your running path.

Don't run alone at night.
No matter how comfortable you feel running at night, there's always more safety in numbers. If you usually run solo, try to find a running group so you'll have running partners.

Limit your distractions.
I know it's tough -- maybe impossible -- for some of you to run without music, but you really shouldn't use your iPod or MP3 player for outdoor runs. Cutting off your sense of hearing means you can't hear oncoming cars, cyclists yelling to move, unleashed dogs, or any other potential threat. Save your iPod for your treadmill runs. And make sure you pay attention to your surroundings. If you let your mind wander too much, you may find yourself wandering into an unsafe area.

Don't make assumptions about drivers.
Remember that many drivers aren't paying attention because they're listening to the radio, talking on their cell phone, or reading a map. Don't assume that drivers can see you or that they'll let you go because you have the right of way. Be sure you make eye contact with drivers at street crossings before you cross. And, better yet, try to stay off the roads as much as possible and stick to running in parks or on paths and sidewalks.

Watch out for cyclists and other runners.
Even if you're running on a path or in a park with no cars, always be aware of other runners and cyclists. If you're approaching another runner or cyclist and need to pass them, communicate with him and let them know on which side you're trying to pass. Before you stop or turn around, make sure your path is clear.

Trust your instincts.
If a location or person makes you feel comfortable, trust your gut and run in the other direction.
What You Need

Brightly-colored running clothes
Driver's license or other form of ID
Reflective gear

Also,

If you have followed the above and still do not feel safe. There are some extra measures that you can take.

OC Mace / Pepper Spray - Don't Skimp on this stuff, you do get what you pay for. It needs to be foam based not aerosol. This higher the capsicum percentage the better. I recommend this:
http://www.policesupplyonline.com/de5010pemk2o.html

Stun Gun - A tad more extreme, but very effective. I have and use these from time to time. Touch the business end to the aggressor and light them up. I use this model:
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/taser+c2+gold+package.do?sortby=bestSellers&from=fn

Collapsing Baton / ASP - This not really for the novice user, but when used effectively can be a better tool for self defense than any of the tools above it. I highly recommend taking specialized training courses on the proper use of these before hand.
Go here for more information.
http://www.defensedevices.com/aspbaton16inch.html

Last but not least.

A personal Firearm - I have had my carry permit for awhile... There are many many types of pistols that are just the right size for a lady to carry, they way less than a pound, when loaded, and what else can you ask for in a personal protect/creep deterrent? I highly Recommend these two brands a S&W M&P 9c and the Bersa Thunder 380... personally I prefer the Bersa over the S&W because its slide it easier to operate for women. Please use common sense when carrying a firearm... ALWAYS take a safety class, ALSO, A PERMIT OF SOME SORT IS REQUIRED IN ALL FIFTY STATES, and concealed carry is 100 % ILLEGAL in some states. PLEASE, check with your local authorities before buying a firearm.

Well, that is all I have.

Please feel free to chime in and add your tips and tricks, equipment you use, and any other advise you might have. A safer community is better for us all!

Replies

• natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Good advice. I always run alone through neighborhoods and farmland where the houses are far apart. I have a road id bracelet. I do use my iPhone, but I listen to audiobooks, so I can hear everything around me. I am going to start carry mace - have had a few slightly nerve wracking encounters with dogs. So far, turning around and running back towards them and yelling scares them off!

I run a lot of different routes and map them with Runkeeper, and before I leave, I leave the route up on my laptop on the kitchen table, so anyone else in the house can see exactly what route I am running and about how long it should take.

I do have a conceal carry permit, and a super compact .45 - but not too interested in running with it. I would probably carry it if I was running a trail run alone though.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Bumping so I can read this when I have more time, thanks!
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    Some awesome advice, I have my CCP as well, but my Walther isn't quite small enough to run with, so thank you for the suggestions!
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Some awesome advice, I have my CCP as well, but my Walther isn't quite small enough to run with, so thank you for the suggestions!

You can pick up some small .22 pistols really cheap that hold 7-9 rounds, and weigh around a pound loaded, the 380 i mentioned above is just a 1.5 lb or so. You can get a back holster that you wear similar to a back back, and it puts the weapon in the small of you back, and it s back faces you dominant side.. With it there is doesn't Flop around, and the weight is carried on your hips, so its like it is not even there. There are also a full range of compacts that are polycarbonate or light weight steel made just for women that serve very nicely in these roles.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    This is a great list.
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    good advice. Thank you for posting.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Carry identification.

Whenever possible, try to run with your cell phone, and save your ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers.

A personal Firearm -

If you're going to get a tag or bracelet, don't get one that attaches to your shoe. It is common for shoes to come off as a result of the impact if you are hit by a car. Get an ankle or wrist bracelet.

If you have a Smart Phone and keep is password protected, don't bother with the ICE step.

Kel Tec P3AT is what I carry now.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me glad I live in Scotland. We don't have guns.

I'm all for risk reduction but if I had to carry a weapon to run I would just go to a gym and do it inside. I'm so sorry for anyone who has to do this. :frown:
  • jmcdaniel0
    Options

I'm all for risk reduction but if I had to carry a weapon to run I would just go to a gym and do it inside. I'm so sorry for anyone who has to do this. :frown:

Sadly, Violent attacks do not stem only from guns. Violent offenders are world wide, and if a gun is not readily available they will just use another medium to do the job. Take Estonia for example, I have several friends there, They have very strict gun control... There is a 0.1 percent of crimes committed with a firearm. That is great! However, There is a 45% increase in Crimes committed with a bladed weapon. In this case they tend to favor the axe. These same statistics hold true world wide. As i said at teh very beginning of my Post.

Do not be lulled into a false sense of security. a creeper doesn't need a gun to do bad things. Always be prepared. I don't care if you live in Scotland, Ireland, Switzerland or Uganda. Human nature is Human nature, and there are bad people everywhere.

Not bashing you Larkie, just stating the truth. I happen to love me some scots! I happen to be a very distant heir to Kerr Castle!
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I was attacked while running in a park in a nice neighborhood, an area I felt safe in. He didn't have a gun. He did have about 5" of height and about 50 lbs on me, though. Unfortunately for him, he picked me to attack, and I don't play nice.

Carrying a firearm is a defense mechanism, just as carrying mace or learning basic self-defense or combat. Just another tool in the belt, as it were.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Well that's certainly a strange thought process. You're glad that your government doesn't allow you to have a firearm for self-defense? Why would this actually make you happy? You're not forced to have one but it's always nice to have the option available should you desire it.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I always run on the opposite side of the road. Drivers are dumb and I don't trust them to come up on me from behind.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful list--many things that my husband keeps pointing out to me (and I, in my arrogance, often dismiss). Thanks for the reminder!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options

Well that's certainly a strange thought process. You're glad that your government doesn't allow you to have a firearm for self-defense? Why would this actually make you happy? You're not forced to have one but it's always nice to have the option available should you desire it.

It's not a strange thought process at all. I agree with larkiedeek...I would rather run inside than feel the need to take a gun running with me. I'm glad that there are strict rules on gun ownership in the UK...that makes me feel safer.

Thank you to the original poster for your tips though :-))
  • jmcdaniel0
    Options

It's not a strange thought process at all. I agree with larkiedeek...I would rather run inside than feel the need to take a gun running with me. I'm glad that there are strict rules on gun ownership in the UK...that makes me feel safer.

Thank you to the original poster for your tips though :-))

I agree that if you are in a really bad area, it is safer to walk/run inside. Its hard to argue against that.

But

Strict gun control does not always equal better safety. I can do just as much damage to someone with my fists, a strong stick, or a knife, that I can with a gun... Now you put me up against a female that is half my size, she would have no chance.

I do not want you to have that false sense of security.

And besides, if a bad person wants a gun, they can get it. The black market is everywhere, and weapons are easily obtained. Strict gun laws really only serve to keeps guns out of the hands of the people that are going to obey they law.

Again, im not saying gun control is bad. I am simply saying, that gun control will not make you any safer. They criminals will still be criminals, they will just use a different weapon.

Case in point. I was mugged in London in 2009. I stepped out of a little restaurant, turned the corner and I had a knife in my back... Guy took my wallet, cell phone, and tried to leave. What he didn't know is that I do not take to well to that. AS he turned to leave, as soon as the knife was out of my back. I turned on him, Broke his arm, took his knife and threatened to make a girl out of him.

he made the mistake of misjudging his mark. I happened to be wearing a large coat, and he couldn't see me well.. At the time, I was in the best shape of my life, and had just came back from the War in Iraq.

But you ladies aren't so lucky. All I want is you to be prepared. To use an old Army phrase..."Pray for the best, Plan for the worst."
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A word to those who do chose to carry (for whatever reason you do - I wish we could in Canada, not that I'd feel the need to but I'd sure like my wife & daughter to have the choice) make sure you train with your firearm on a regular basis. Buying one and then spending an hour at the range one time is probably less safe than not owning one.

You need to be familiar with it to the point of being able to use it with your eyes closed. You'll have massive amounts of adrenaline rushing through your body in an emergency.
  • jmcdaniel0
    Options
    A word to those who do chose to carry (for whatever reason you do - I wish we could in Canada, not that I'd feel the need to but I'd sure like my wife & daughter to have the choice) make sure you train with your firearm on a regular basis. Buying one and then spending an hour at the range one time is probably less safe than not owning one.

You need to be familiar with it to the point of being able to use it with your eyes closed. You'll have massive amounts of adrenaline rushing through your body in an emergency.

The is sound advise here. I shoot on a weekly basis.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd add:

Run places and times of day you'd feel safe walking. Places don't suddenly become more dangerous because you're going through them faster.

If you're not confident of a newly-increased distance, or are carrying a niggling injury or illness, run in series of loops that go back to your home.
  • queeniedebar
    queeniedebar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Great advice...I just ordered a good foam-based pepper spray yesterday!

At some point I also plan on getting a firearm + permit to carry...and of course, completing a gun-safety/handling course.