PCOS- What to eat? (Warning Guys TMI)

Options
Okay well first a little background- I am currently being tested for PCOS. I had my gyno appt today and go tomorrow for some initial blood work. After they get the results they are putting me on progesterone to induce my period and then I have to go back during the first 7 days of my cycle and get some more blood work.

My S&S are: Irregular and now absent periods (Nothing since March), Frequent and multiple ovarian cysts on both ovaries, rapid weight gain in short amount of time, more breakouts then usual, etc...

My question is what is the best diet anyone with pcos should be on? I figure if I am diagnosed I might as well have a jump start on eating correctly. I looked some stuff online. Mostly what I am seeing is a lower carb diet but wasn't sure if that is accurate.

I would really love any help/advice you ladies have to offer. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Beleren
    Beleren Posts: 142
    Options
    I just got diagnosed about a week ago. I was wondering the same thing at that time, and most people said low carb seemed to work for them. I'd imagine you'll have to test it out for yourself though. What works for someone else might not for you.

I think there are groups on here if you are in need of any support. Good luck with your blood work!

Edited to add:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637257-help-with-pcos-please-read

You should read that. ^ It was my topic and the replies might give you the answers you seek.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yup, low carb and selecting foods by glycemic index! You can also be insulin resistant or not insulin resistant, and you don't have to bother with the low carb if you aren't.... usually. ... but lots of people say ALL of their symptoms get better when they low carb it out!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i hope you find something that works for you, and i agree with other poster, low carb!
  • ForTheSmile
    ForTheSmile Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. When people say "low carb" how low do they mean? If I stay within the carb limits set forth by MFP, is that "low carb"?
  • lostinureyes17
    lostinureyes17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks so is that the biggest thing to focus on...carbs? Right now I have it set as 40% of my daily intake should it be lower?
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    try to stay under 100g/day.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Yes a low carb diet is best if you have PCOS and want to lose weight. It will be harder for you than others but it is possible to do
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    A glycemic index diet usually works well (I say usually because it doesn't work for me, but nothing about my PCOS is typical anyway, so I'm just 'special' LOL). The GI diet works to balance carbs WITH protein, focuses on complex carbs, and limits the overall number of carbs. I personally don't care to limit my carbs and since it didn't help me anyway, I don't. I usually can stick to the MFP limits, but not to the sugar portion.
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21yrs old. Get this book it will help a lot. I don't follow the diet but it has a lot of good information in it.
    http://books.google.com/books/about/The_PCOS_Diet_Book.html?id=ewo2hY4tgQoC

Goodluck,
    Angel :)
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Even though I don't follow "as directed" I use the 2002 Atkins book as a guide. My dr & dietician put me on a lower carb plan.
  • lostinureyes17
    lostinureyes17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check out that book! Thanks ladies. I have changed my daily goals to reflect lower carbs. I'll readjust if this isn't the issue. I love breads and pasta so it will def. take some getting used to!:ohwell:
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. When people say "low carb" how low do they mean? If I stay within the carb limits set forth by MFP, is that "low carb"?

Absolutely not!!

The MFP standards, as far as I can tell, are based on the US RDA standards, which are heavily influenced by lobbyists and are very high in carbs. As an example, the corn lobbyists got corn (which any biologist will tell you is obviously a grain, in fact it's the grain we feed our cattle when we want to fatten them up) reclassified as a vegetable by the FDA so people would think it was more healthy to eat... anyway, I would not trust their numbers.

Also, MFP's standards are designed for the "average" person, and if you have PCOS, then you're obviously not average. Even among "normal" people, metabolisms vary widely. I'm sure you've noticed that some people can eat whatever they want and never gain an ounce, while others have to starve themselves. And some people get really cranky if they don't eat regularly, while others can go all day on a single meal. That's because there's a lot of variety in how efficiently people's bodies metabolize their foods.

If you do have PCOS, it is likely that you also have some amount of insulin resistance. The best way to handle this is to keep your blood sugar on an even keel and avoid spikes and crashes. Carbs burn quickly, while protein burns more slowly and steadily. So you will need to get fewer calories from carbohydrates and more from protein. You will also need to make sure and eat more often during the day, so that your blood sugar never gets a chance to tank and cause carb cravings. As I said, every person is different, but my doctor has me eating every 3 hours (6 times a day). I am not allowed to eat more than 10 carbs in a sitting and no more than 25 carbs in a day. And I am expected to eat my body weight in protein each day (around 40g protein per sitting). That works out to a ratio of about 5% carbs, 35% fats, 60% protein. As I said, everyone's metabolism is different, so you may not have to limit yours so severely, but I would recommend changing your MFP goals so that the carb level is a lower percentage.

Just getting on this low-carb, high-protein diet has done wonders for me. Cholesterol went from 210 to 185, I've stopped needing arthritis pain meds, I've stopped having depression and mood swings, and I've lost over 75 lb.

Good luck to you!
  • AdAstra47
    Options
    I love breads and pasta so it will def. take some getting used to!:ohwell:

Do a search, both on this site and on the wider web, for things like "low-carb recipes," "paleo diet recipes," "primal recipes." There are a lot of substitutions out there. You'll find all sorts of creative ideas! You just have to learn how to make low-carb versions that still give you the tastes you love.

For example, cauliflower is my "wonder food." It's a veggie that's relatively low in carbs & high in nutrients, and the texture is a lot like a potato once it's steamed or boiled. I make "mashed potatoes" out of cauliflower, and when I have stir-fry or sushi I use diced, steamed cauliflower instead of rice. And if you like pasta, try using a spaghetti squash instead.

I also love making myself this easy snack: 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 egg, and a splash of water or milk. Mix well, in a coffee cup. Microwave for one minute. Makes one instant low-carb high-protein chocolate/peanut butter muffin.
  • mnomics
    mnomics Posts: 35
    Options
    how do you find out if you are insulin resistant or not?
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hi chica, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15 years old (gained weighed,no period for months at a time and cysts) and now at 30 years old I am PCOS free after losing over 40lbs. I am not insulin resistant, so I didn't cut out carbs. I did however cut out soda and sweets.I also added A TON of greens particularly kale,spniach and broccoli.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yes a low carb diet is best if you have PCOS and want to lose weight. It will be harder for you than others but it is possible to do

Even with PCOS I did lose weight with exercise and obviously the more active you are, the more carbs you can eat, and vice versa :) Trust me doll it IS possible and it is NOT harder with PCOS I battled with it for 15 years and FINALLY all of my symptoms are gone XD
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've managed to lose quite a bit and am not on low carb. I eat low GI which I find better to regulate.

If you're just starting out my advice is to focus on calories figure out the right amount of calories and eat to that. Exercise 30 min a day. Once you're comfortable you can start changing your macros (carbs/proteins/fats) Only thing I would heavily recommend switch to whole wheat. No need to put the horse before the cart.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    how do you find out if you are insulin resistant or not?

Ask your doctor to do a test. It will be a fasting glucose test. Here are other ways but involve you buying a blood testing machine and being incredible methodical about charting at all hours of the day.
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My best advice is follow the American diabetes associating for eating(you can find all the info on there website)-Low carb, low sugar, small portion size. Even if you are not diabetic is is great for women with PCOS, especially since you are at high risk to be come type 2 diabetic. Hope that helps-good luck! Feel free to add me!
  • AdAstra47
    Options
    My best advice is follow the American diabetes associating for eating(you can find all the info on there website)-Low carb, low sugar, small portion size. Even if you are not diabetic is is great for women with PCOS, especially since you are at high risk to be come type 2 diabetic. Hope that helps-good luck! Feel free to add me!

This is not necessarily good advice. Again, the ADA has been influenced by lobbyists and by big pharma. They do NOT want you to be able to control your diabetes entirely through diet, because they want to be able to sell insulin & drug therapies. So, yes, check out the site, but take anything they say with a good dose of skepticism. A LOT of their recipes are still way too high in carbs for me.