Intuitive Eating

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
Has anyone ever read the book Intuitive Eating? If so, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• FidalgoGirl
    FidalgoGirl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes and loved it! Will be teaching the topic to a group of young adults today actually!
  • brendajbentley
    brendajbentley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm an certified Intuitive Eating Professional. This is the way we eat naturally, before we are conditioned to eat differently (look at babies!)

The approach honors the body, your hunger (biological hunger) and yourself (self esteem). It is about rejecting the diet mentality and rule based eating - diets don't work - they have a negative impact on the body, mind and functioning of metabolism, so the approach is about creating a healthy relationship with food and your body.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Brenda
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Read it and loved it. I have to be careful not to let "listen to your body" morph into "my body clearly wants this entire pint of gelato", but that aside I am much happier and more successful eating intuitively than agonizing over numbers.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I went through an eight week study entitled "Am I Hungry'? Book written by Michelle May, MD.

AMAZING! That information, combined with MFP has been the key to my husband and I actually losing weight for the first time in many years. It teaches you how to listen to your body, because IT knows when its full. It deals with emotional eating, which is a huge problem for us.

The biggest thing I learned is that food is always there. . . we don't live in a third world country. If I want chocolate, I'll have it and savor it (just a little bit) and put the rest away for another time. It WON'T run away :sad: - it will be waiting for the next time I have a craving.

I recommend it to everyone. "Am I Hungry" and MFP has changed my life!