Healthy Fats? HUH?

Ok I always thought Fat was fat! Bad for you! So what are Healthy fats? In the stupid version please! =D

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    You were told that by stupid people. Fats are beneficial fo rthe body, some types being moreso than others. Monounsaturated fat (olive oil, avocados for example) is a healthy fat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/index.html
    "Good" fats—monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats—lower disease risk. "Bad" fats—saturated and, especially, trans fats—increase disease risk. Foods high in good fats include vegetable oils (such as olive, canola, sunflower, soy, and corn), nuts, seeds, and fish. Foods high in bad fats include red meat, butter, cheese, and ice cream, as well as processed foods made with trans fat from partially hydrogenated oil. The key to a healthy diet is to choose foods that have more good fats than bad fats—vegetable oils instead of butter, salmon instead of steak—and that don’t contain any trans fat.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Though I don't believe everything said here about saturated fats and I avoid canola oil, the rest of this info is good and easy to understand.

http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/fats.htm
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Ok I always thought Fat was fat! Bad for you! So what are Healthy fats? In the stupid version please! =D

Fat is not bad for you. You need to eat a certain amount of fat in order to live. TOO MUCH fat is bad for you.

Also, there are different types of fat. Some are better for your body than others. It's kind of like their being different kinds of dietary carbohydrates (complex carbohydrates and sugar). In the amount of dietary fat you eat, you want to try and eat as much of the good kinds of fat, and as little of the bad kinds of fat as possible.

The healthiest fats are generally plant-based and undergo as little processing as possible to extract the fat. The May Clinic has a much better and authoritative write-up on it than I have any possibility of explaining:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member

The stupid version is: Any kind of fats except "trans-fat" (in this case I'm talking about partially hydrogenated oils) are fine for you as long as you take into account the calories. Some types of fat, especially fats from natural food (nuts, olive oil, avocado, coconut, fish, etc) are extremely healthy and have been linked to numerous health benefits. Once again, calories must be taken into account if you're trying to lose weight. Although, even if you don't want to count the calories, fats are still probably preferable to carbs for losing and maintaining weight loss.

It sounds like you're a bit behind the times on the latest nutrition research. You've been lied to by the food industry and government for awhile. Here is information for you on how to eat well: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3299312/?tool=pubmed.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Fat is great (besides trans-fat)! Great for brain function, great for your skin, great for you in general. Go eat some avocado and nuts and stuff. Fat is higher in calories, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It generally takes less fatty food to make me feel good than eating a bunch of carby stuff would.
  • films14
    films14 Posts: 11
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/index.html
    "Good" fats—monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats—lower disease risk. "Bad" fats—saturated and, especially, trans fats—increase disease risk. Foods high in good fats include vegetable oils (such as olive, canola, sunflower, soy, and corn), nuts, seeds, and fish. Foods high in bad fats include red meat, butter, cheese, and ice cream, as well as processed foods made with trans fat from partially hydrogenated oil. The key to a healthy diet is to choose foods that have more good fats than bad fats—vegetable oils instead of butter, salmon instead of steak—and that don’t contain any trans fat.

agreed. i was on very low carb for about 7 months & included saturated fats daily... i lost 20lbs, but my triglycerides shot up to 754 along with my overall cholesterol. i'm on fenofibrate now & cut out ALL BAD FATS, & eat mono & poly's as much as possible. Fish oil is amazing with all the omega 3's (good fats for ur brain, heart etc) my weight stalled for months but now it's coming off slowly but surely, and i feel so much better... more energy! good luck! :)
  • MalloryCurrent
    MalloryCurrent Posts: 62 Member
    Thanks everyone! I get it now!! =) I have always "dieted" So people have already looked at the labels for me and said eat this not that. Never explained why. Now that I'm not dieting and just eating healthy, I am having to understand all this! LOL But I'm getting there! =) Thanks for the help!
  • bcattoes
    Thanks everyone! I get it now!! =) I have always "dieted" So people have already looked at the labels for me and said eat this not that. Never explained why. Now that I'm not dieting and just eating healthy, I am having to understand all this! LOL But I'm getting there! =) Thanks for the help!

The link to the Harvard "What should you eat" site above is a wonderful place to learn about nutrition. Lots of science based information presented in an easy to understand format that can be easily searched or browsed by topic.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

Not exactly this either. I've never heard anything about cutting out meat fats and vegetable fats are all around better? It's good to get a little bit of everything. The thing about trans fats they occur very sparingly in nature (like in cows milk), but many people eat way to much stuff with trans fats. A lot of anything is bad. If you go low fat and start eating things like avocado, nuts, eggs, full fat milk, natural foods so to speak, most find their hair and skin get significantly nicer. That being said I turn into a huge grease ball when I eat a lot of fat. A lot of nutrients in vegetables are also fat soluble so it definitely has it's benefits to eat a reasonable amount of food with real natural in them.

I wouldn't stay away from red meat for the fat, unless you're apposed to red meat. I also wouldn't stay away from butter. I tend to use freshly churned butter with no salt added though. A whole lot more natural then many of the oils you can buy.
  • bcattoes

Not exactly this either. The thing about trans fats they occur very sparingly in nature (like in cows milk), but many people eat way to much stuff with trans fats. A lot of anything is bad. If you go low fat and start eating things like avocado, nuts, eggs, full fat milk, natural foods so to speak, most find their hair and skin get significantly nicer. That being said I turn into a huge grease ball when I eat a lot of fat. A lot of nutrients in vegetables are also fat soluble so it definitely has it's benefits to eat a reasonable amount of food with real natural in them.

I tend to believe the good folks at the Harvard School of Public Health over random posts on the internet, since they spend their lives studying this stuff. But if you follow the link, it does go more in depth about the different types of fat.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    You were told that by stupid people. Fats are beneficial for the body, some types being moreso than others. Monounsaturated fat (olive oil, avocados for example) is a healthy fat.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    You were told that by stupid people. Fats are beneficial for the body, some types being moreso than others. Monounsaturated fat (olive oil, avocados for example) is a healthy fat.

^^ This. AND even coconut oil which contains saturated fats is good for you in moderation. Fats in nuts are great too.

There is a huge difference between the fat in a cheese burger and the fat in a handful of almonds and a 1/2 avocado.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Without a proper amount of good fat, it becomes difficult to poop!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member

It's a continual learning process... when you understand foods better, you can make the right choices for your body and your goals.

As for fats, google "essential fatty acids".
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member

my husband and i just started working our way into a paleo diet and discovered coconut oil for cooking.... we love it!! that site was fantastic as well, thanks for posting!! :)
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Bump!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

Not exactly this either. The thing about trans fats they occur very sparingly in nature (like in cows milk), but many people eat way to much stuff with trans fats. A lot of anything is bad. If you go low fat and start eating things like avocado, nuts, eggs, full fat milk, natural foods so to speak, most find their hair and skin get significantly nicer. That being said I turn into a huge grease ball when I eat a lot of fat. A lot of nutrients in vegetables are also fat soluble so it definitely has it's benefits to eat a reasonable amount of food with real natural fat in them.

I tend to believe the good folks at the Harvard School of Public Health over random posts on the internet, since they spend their lives studying this stuff. But if you follow the link, it does go more in depth about the different types of fat.

Well, most of what they said was correct. But something being 'good' really depends on the rest of someones diet no matter where they went to school. And believe me, I know a lot of dumb people who came out of med school who have made a mistake or 5. I'm not saying anything they said is wrong so to say, just that it was kind of a generalized statement. You shouldn't cut out milk for example if that's where you get a lot of your protein fat and calcium for example. And changing those things to different sources doesn't necessarily mean you'll live longer, be healthier, etc.

Dare to question things, even something coming from the intelligent. Not everyone can think of all the variables associated with what they are saying all the time.
  • bcattoes

Not exactly this either. The thing about trans fats they occur very sparingly in nature (like in cows milk), but many people eat way to much stuff with trans fats. A lot of anything is bad. If you go low fat and start eating things like avocado, nuts, eggs, full fat milk, natural foods so to speak, most find their hair and skin get significantly nicer. That being said I turn into a huge grease ball when I eat a lot of fat. A lot of nutrients in vegetables are also fat soluble so it definitely has it's benefits to eat a reasonable amount of food with real natural fat in them.

Well, most of what they said was correct. But something being 'good' really depends on the rest of someones diet no matter where they went to school. And believe me, I know a lot of dumb people who came out of med school who have made a mistake or 5. I'm not saying anything they said is wrong so to say, just that it was kind of a generalized statement. You shouldn't cut out milk for example if that's where you get a lot of your protein fat and calcium for example. And changing those things to different sources doesn't necessarily mean you'll live longer, be healthier, etc.

Dare to question things, even something coming from the intelligent. Not everyone can think of all the variables associated with what they are saying all the time.

Of course it's a generalized statement. They could hardly generate a page for each individual. Nothing guarantees you'll live longer or healthier, but "in general" following the rules on that site will up your odds.