Chia seeds

Options
2»

Replies

• llw1013
    llw1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think I found mine at either Wegman's or Trader Joe's.

Add them to overnight oatmeal and throw a spoonful into some green tea. They are tasteless, so you can add them to anything, really.
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I can definitely see refrigerator oatmeal in the near future!
  • callmenikita
    callmenikita Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bought mine from walmart online and had them delivered site to store.
    and also got some on amazon for 7 bucks.
  • keri3
    keri3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Gnc
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are amazing. I have seen them in some grocery stores I found mine at Remi teas online.

If you let them soak they create a gel that can replace fat in your baking. The seeds make me think of poppy seeds without the flavor. If you plan on being out in the heat its good to have some before you head out. It will help keep you from dehydrating. Just make sure you drink a few cups of water if you decide to do that.

I hope that gives you some ideas.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I go to a local middle eastern food store that sells them in bulk and buy about 1 cup of chia seeds at a time. I store them in the freezer so they don't get rancid, although it probably isn't necesary.

I add them cereals, yogurt and to foods that need a bit of thickening.

Frankly, I think the best thing about chia seeds is the way they absorb liquid. I just stir in some seeds, wait about 10 minutes, and the seeds take up most of the liquid.

When the whole seeds are dry, they look like tiny poppy seeds. After they absorb liquid, they resemble small tapioca pearls. Chia seeds add texture to foods but do NOT affect the flavor.
  • ebontuck
    ebontuck Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find them in the health foods and organic section of the local grocery store.

I love to put them in my ice water with some cranberry juice and half of a lime squeezed in. Just let them soak for a few minutes before you drink. I have put them in smoothies as well, but they tend to get clumpy.
  • mrskymberly
    mrskymberly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have bought Chia Seeds at a health food store but have also seen them in the bulk food section at a local grocery store. I think they are becoming more popular and more stores are starting to carry them. I will add 1 TBS of dry seeds to 1/2 c old fashioned oats & 1 c water and cook for 5 minutes. I will then add some fresh berries and a bit of splenda if needed. They don't add any flavor but really bump up the nutrition. I will also make 'chia gell' in which I will soak 2 TBS Chia Seeds in 1 c water for an hour. I will then add the gel to yogurt, cereal (like a bowl of grape nuts,) or sauces like spaghetti sauce or applesauce. Good luck!
  • mrsbear1024
    Options
    What makes chia seeds better than flax seed meal, which is MUCH less expensive, at least where I shop?
  • Emilie1024
    Options
    It depends on where you live. I live in NY and health stores are everywhere. I add them to oatmeal.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What makes chia seeds better than flax seed meal, which is MUCH less expensive, at least where I shop?

They stay fresh longer, they don't have to be ground/meal to get the nutrients, and they have more omega-3.

I got some at wegmans. East coast shout-out~
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I got some at wegmans. East coast shout-out~

Yay! Wegmans...lol
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Costco has a huge bag for around $7.
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    getchia.com I just bought the 3 pound bag because I seriously put them in EVERYTHING! eggs,oatmeal,salad,yogurt,chia pudding,wraps,burger....ANYTHING!
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Not to sound stupid but what does Chia seeds do for you? What benefits do they offer? Sorry I'm new to this whole healthy eating.....
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Not to sound stupid but what does Chia seeds do for you? What benefits do they offer? Sorry I'm new to this whole healthy eating.....

On top of the other stuff mentioned in this thread they apparently keep you fuller longer which flax seed does not do.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Here's nutrition information for each.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2 and http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3163/2

Flaxseed seems to have slightly less fiber and slightly more omega 3 fatty acid for similar serving sizes. In other respects they don't seem all that different nutritionally, but the full factor might be important.