What to do with mushrooms

Options
Saiklor
Saiklor Posts: 183
I love mushrooms but I only have one recipe for them! Anybody have any ideas?

My ONE mushroom recipe (I do a modified version of the Hungry Girl mushroom foil pack)

For one person take 1 BIG portabello mushroom (try and get one that's quite bowl-like, not a flat or convex one). Scrub it or peel it, snap off the stem.

Dice up a small-medium yellow zucchini squash
Dice up a few tablespoons of onion
Mix those things with 2 laughing cow cheese triangles (I use lite)
Add whatever spices you like (garlic, basil, salt, pepper, whatever)

Stuff the mixture into/onto the portabello and bake on a baking tray (no foil wrap needed) at 425 for 20 minutes.
Let it cool for a few minutes and then NOM NOM NOM!

According to my food diary it has 122 cal, 18 carbs, 3 fat, 8 protein.

Replies

• Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Love mushrooms!

I put them in meat loaf, I also stuff them with the stems, onion, garlic and cracker crumbs and cheese (I doubt this is low cal but it could be played with I am sure) then stuffed back into their crowns and put in the oven till browned a bit. A very yummy treat my hubby loves this one. Then of course sauteed with any vegies. I like to add it to fajitas also.
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    Portobellos sliced about 3/8-1/2 inch thick.
    Drizzle with a little evoo
    Pinch of kosher salt
    sprinkle of granulated garlic

Gently toss together to evenly coat the mushrooms without breaking them.
    Let stand for 10 minutes to let the flavors meld.
    Grill on hot grill til tender and juicy.

Damn near as good as nice steak.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Another mushroom lover! I add them to pretty much anything i use them as a 'meat substitute', chop them quite roughly so they are chunky and cook them in spag bol, shepherds pie, curry, fajitas, meatloaf. My favourite thing is to saute them gently and have them on toast with a pinch of cheese.

Also you could make chicken kebabs and thread on mushrooms too.

Make a mushroom pate?

slice them and put them in omelette/quiche
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    ^ how could one do that without a grill?
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options

Add a touch of olive to a fry pan and saute over medium to medium high heat. If you have a George Foreman grill, you could try that. Grilling is better, but you can come in a close second with the stove top.
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options

Add a touch of olive to a fry pan and saute over medium to medium high heat. If you have a George Foreman grill, you could try that. Grilling is better, but you can come in a close second with the stove top.

Oh, and give the broiler a try.
  • kme2011
    kme2011 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Omg you can do so much with mushrooms. You can make spagetthi sauce and add them in. I also put into a can of chunky tomatoes and some green bell pepper. you can make stuffed zucchini, stuffed tomatoes, the list goes on and on.
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    Mushroom soup!
    ~Sautee an onion and some cloves of chopped garlic (depending on how garlicky you like things - I tend to use two) in some olive oil in a biggish saucepan.
    ~Add about 250g sliced mushrooms (whatever type you want, I normally use chestnut) and sautee them until they've got a bit smaller.
    ~Add some vegetable stock (or boiling water and some bouillon) to top it up to the amount of soup you want, and simmer for ten - twenty mins. Also add some fresh or dried parsley.
    ~Add lots of black pepper, a bit of salt to taste (or soy sauce if you prefer, or a combination of both) then blend. If it's too thick, add more water/stock. Or milk if you prefer.

It's quick, easy, uses few ingredients and it's yummy! Don't be shy with the black pepper - it's what makes the soup so good.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Mushroom omelettes! One of my favorite breakfasts - yummy.
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Tiffy_Pea
    Tiffy_Pea Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My husband got me to try mushrooms by coating them in cornbread batter (he added a little more liquid to the batter than the directions on the package say to) and pan frying them in a little oil. Maybe not healthy, but sooo good!
  • mike4him
    mike4him Posts: 16
    Options
    saute them with olive oil, salt and pepper..add them to spaghetti sauce, marinara..my favorite is the mostly egg white mushroom heavy veggie omelette..just saute veggies..peppers, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, squash and lots of mushrooms..then when veggies are sauteed up..I just dump in the egg whites with one to two yolks..it is so much healthier to skip the yolks..because of all the fat..my favorite seasoning comes from Trader Joes for $1.99..21 seasoning salute..you can also put some of your favorite hot sauce on top of this and have a couple pieces of sprouted toast , ezekiel 4:9 7 grain for example with raw honey , real butter or almond butter, or real fruit jelly..yummy I am getting hungry..so much energy now..losing about 1 lb. a week..feeling great.. exercising about 4 times a week...The Ironman competition at the YMCA and Body by God book are the two things that got my wife and I excited about getting healthy and losing weight..also the realization that we were both taking in way too much sugar overall and not drinking enough water..we were both far too dehydrated..sorry to take up your mushroom question..but when something changes your life..you just get so excited about it!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Mixed mushroom stroganoff: (serves 2) 300 cals per serving.

- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    -1 onion, chopped
    - a buttload of mixed mushrooms, chopped (approx 300g)
    - veggie/chicken or beef stock (150ml)
    - 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
    - 3 tbsp soured cream
    - 1 tbsp paprika
    - 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped.
    - lemon wedges to serve

1.Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and soften the onion for about 5 mins. Add the garlic and paprika, then cook for 1 min more. Add mushrooms and cook on a high heat, stirring often, for about 5 mins.

2.Pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, bubble for 5 mins until the sauce thickens, then turn off the heat and stir through the soured cream and most of the parsley. Make sure the pan is not on the heat or the sauce may split.

serve with lemon & parsley and your choice of side (mixed wild rice, tagliatelle, veggies or cauli rice for low carb)
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bump*
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash with a mushroom cream sauce.

the sauce is so easy to make, to a sauce pan; add a cup of the water you cleaned/soaked your mushrooms in (avoiding the grit that settles at the bottom) or add a cup of mushroom broth, add 1/2 cup of creme (I actually use almond milk), your mushrooms, some fresh onions and a tablespoon of worchestershire (?sp) sauce, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until it condenses to a thick sauce and pour over cooked spaghetti squash.
  • TheGreenfaerie
    Options
    Or "grill" with cast iron inside. Specifically, I love this one by Lodge Logic:

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3943
  • grmacgirl
    grmacgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Oh, and give the broiler a try.

I second that vote for the broiler!! Most of the flavor of grilling (sadly none of the smokiness of charcoal) but without having to fire up the grill and stand out in the heat.

In the heat of summer I will put seasoned chops or chicken breasts on a small grill rack on one end of my half-sheet baking pan (lined with foil) and the other half gets filled with all kinds of seasoned, lightly oiled veggies. I will even let my microwave "bake" two potatoes before I fire up the broiler, and I put those on the rack beside the pan. The microwave cooks them fluffy on the inside then they get just enough indirect broiler heat to re-crisp the skins without having to bake them for an hour and heat up the house. When I flip the meat I flip the spuds and veg at the same time. I can have a complete, flavorful meal for two with 2+ veg sides done in about 20 minutes plus prep time.
  • vtpixie
    vtpixie Posts: 39
    Options
    Mushroom Pasta

cremini or white mushrooms (sliced)
    whole wheat pasta
    1/4-1/2 cup cream (or use other lower fat substitute)
    parsley, oregano, salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup water
    1 bullion cube (chicken)
    optional (other veggies, capers, olives)

Cook pasta. Cook mushrooms in pan, add other veggies, olives, capers, etc. Add water and bullion cube. Add cream and herbs. mix and allow to simmer. Add to cooked pasta and serve along side a salad.

Portabella Mushrooms, Peppers and Mozzarella Cheese

Use the large portabella mushroom and cut into long strips. Saute them in pan with peppers (usually use red, yellow and orange). Cut large chuck of mozzarella and cook in microwave for 45seconds to melt a bit and warm. Can add salt and pepper to dish if desired. Serve together on plate with salad. Can use vegan cheese in place of mozzarella.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Stir fry, omelets, and sauces.

General instructions: Add mushrooms while cooking it. ;)
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Mushroom soup!
    ~Sautee an onion and some cloves of chopped garlic (depending on how garlicky you like things - I tend to use two) in some olive oil in a biggish saucepan.
    ~Add about 250g sliced mushrooms (whatever type you want, I normally use chestnut) and sautee them until they've got a bit smaller.
    ~Add some vegetable stock (or boiling water and some bouillon) to top it up to the amount of soup you want, and simmer for ten - twenty mins. Also add some fresh or dried parsley.
    ~Add lots of black pepper, a bit of salt to taste (or soy sauce if you prefer, or a combination of both) then blend. If it's too thick, add more water/stock. Or milk if you prefer.

It's quick, easy, uses few ingredients and it's yummy! Don't be shy with the black pepper - it's what makes the soup so good.

Oooh thanks for this, I will be giving it a try