Struck down with injury - what do I do re: cals?

Options
Hi all,

Injury has struck, I tore a ligament playing netball last night. I'm on crutches for 2 weeks and out of exercise for probably 6 weeks minimum.

I'm very active, do lots of different exercise and sports and have been doing well on MFP so far. I've lost a stone in 11 weeks which im happy with as I have definitely toned and built muscle as well. Ideally I need to get another stone off in the next 12 weeks as i am a bridesmaid but I don't know how best to go about it without my usual exercise levels.

I havent been too strict in terms of my diet in the last 12 weeks, I've counted and logged everything and stayed within limits but if I want something nice then I have it and just make sure I work it off one way or another.

So, my stats now: I'm 5'6, female, 165lbs and now have to be classed as sedentary. My BMR is about 1540. Where would you set your calories now to continue losing at an average of 1lb per week? Obviously as soon as I am physically able I will be back to the exercise and in the meantime I am going to try some swimming, I am a regular swimmer anyway I'm just sure my ankle will hold up, but in a couple of weeks it may well.

If I have missed some crucial info let me know but I'd appreciate anyone's advice. I am not going to use this as an excuse to put te weight back on and just now need to look at it as an opportunity to really improve my diet!
Thanks x

Replies

• MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What a bummer! Injuries can really throw off your weight loss.

It probably won't help you hit your goal weight - but most dieticians and trainers recommend NEVER cutting calories below 1200 for women/1800 for men. Anything less than that and you can really mess up your metabolism in the long run. Without exercise, you'll continue to lose weight but not as quickly.

Good luck healing.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I, too, have been struck down by a recent injury (hairline fracture on my heel). I'm also a Zumba instructor, so this has completely messed me up.

My plan - STRENGTH TRAINING! I have an upper body and core workout that I'll be doing for the next few weeks. I know that ideally I would incorporate both upper and lower (and combo) moves, but right now I have to go with what I have.

I haven't changed my goals/stats on MFP - think about how many calories you'll be burning using those crutches! Your arms will get a heck of a workout! :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :cry: If i was you i would cut back to minimum cals for a few weeks and see how you get on! drink lots of tea/coffee/water to fill up on too this will help x
    i will be in your situation in a few months! :cry:

good luck x
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    1 lb fat = 3500 cals / 7 days per week = 500 cals a day. 1540 - 500 = 1040. MFP is against you eating less than 1200 cals day (I'm really not sure about the science behind this, can someone link me a peer reviewed article that says this is actually dangerous?)

Anyway, Try eating lots of protein so you don't lose muscle (I'm not sure but my instincts tell me it might help with your injury but I may be wrong). Eat as much as you can handle (e.g. canned tuna for lunch, chicken breast for dinner). Eat as few carbs as possible and try to make the carbs you do eat in the fruits/veggies category. Also, keep drinking lots of water.

I assume the ligament was in your leg. See if there are any weight exercises you can do for your upper body (get some dumbbells if you can).

Don't start exercising your lower body again until your doctor says it's OK. Or you can do what my friend's mom did when she broke her leg, and get on the stationary bike... use your good leg to push one pedal and a crutch to push the other one haha. (I'm kidding, this part is probably bad advice)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What's your TDEE? You subtract 500 from your TDEE, NOT your BMR.

Did the math for OP, and her TDEE is 1837 (ish). So pretty much eat your BMR, since you don't really want to drop below it for any extended period of time. Your weight loss will be slower, but it will be safer.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Something to consider...(and will inevitably be the minority opinion since it's MFP)...but cutting calories while healing from an injury sounds like a bad idea to me. Yes, you may gain a few pounds, but the body needs optimal nutrition to recover from an injury. And instead of worrying about just the calories, focus on proper nutrients/vitamins/minerals. (For example, bone broth would be a good addition.) If it were me, I would approach every meal with the question of "am I giving my body what it needs to maximize my recovery?"
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Actually you are not.
    Swim. Paddle around on a raft. There are always possibilities when exercise is a priority.
    Good Luck :smile:
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Using crutches burns a lot more calories than walking - think of how your arm muscles are going to look by the end :wink:

Also look for workouts online aimed towards those in a wheelchair, they are available and will give you stuff you can still do.
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Swimming is a good option since you can do it with arms only (tuck a float between your legs) Get your doctors permission before adding your legs to the work-out. It may be possible for you to wear an ankle brace so that kicking doesn't add too much stress
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Something to consider...(and will inevitably be the minority opinion since it's MFP)...but cutting calories while healing from an injury sounds like a bad idea to me. Yes, you may gain a few pounds, but the body needs optimal nutrition to recover from an injury. And instead of worrying about just the calories, focus on proper nutrients/vitamins/minerals. (For example, bone broth would be a good addition.) If it were me, I would approach every meal with the question of "am I giving my body what it needs to maximize my recovery?"

Personally, I agree wholeheartedly with this!
  • LindsayHowlett
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. My BMR was around about what I thought I should be eating but I just wanted some reassurance. To those that said about not cutting calories, I absolutely agree and if I didn't have the time pressure of this wedding then I would probably chill out about it a bit, but unfortunately I do and I can't not fit in the dress and nor (hands up total vanity) do I want to be bigger for photos that will last forever. My son is a page boy, my OH a groomsman and my sister-in-law the bride so there will be some photos that mean the world to me & I want to look my best. I know I will have to be really careful & very structured to ensure I get an optimum mix of nutritious calories to promote healing (I don't want to miss the rest of the netball season after all!!) whilst keeping the cals within the right limits to help the weight loss.
    It's such bad timing but these things are sent to try us.... I'd just started to get on really well with my running as well, but that will be back to square one!! :-(
  • akaRocque
    akaRocque Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I am recovering from a severe ankle sprain and yes the ligaments are messed up.
    Going on week 3 and the doctor has me in a wheel chair for work. I totally quit logging food. I guess I got
    depressed by the injury. I am still maintaining and have lost a bit more since the injury. Reading this helps.