beach safety

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Just find the creepiest old dude on the beach.
    Leave them with him and enjoy yourself...problem solved.
    Says a creepy old dude...
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I live at the beach and No recent reports of kid's just "floating away". Just tend to them. Are you going alone with them? Have they been to the beach before? Chances are at least one is not going to want to get in the waves.If this is the case you will appreciate some help on the sand. I would make them wear arm floats (at all times because they are fast and can get in the water before you know it) BUT THEY CAN STILL DROWN WEARING THEM. You can get floats that will hold both children. You hold the float. Don't tie all of you together. You can tie floats together though.Your suppose to enjoy and relax on your day at the beach. Stop fretting and look forwards to it. I hope you and the kid's have a blast.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    hahahaha This can't be serious...is it? You mean Floatation devices? You should tie them to a Dolphin. I heard they are kid friendly and will defend off sharks.

Genius!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Why are you giving yourself work?

Gotta make a living......

Valid point....how lucrative is the creepy old man biz?
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    have you ever been to the beach before? if you just let them play in the sand right at the shore you are fine. the water hits them and they are still getting wet having fun. i personally wouldn't try and have two kids of that age in the water all by myself. its too hard. you can also dig out a big hole and fill it up with water and then they have their own "pool" thats what i always did when my kids were small.
  • ShanniLee
    ShanniLee Posts: 69
    Options
    If your kids are 3 and 4 they are probably not amazing swimmers so you are probably not going to take them out in water that is over there head....therefore they will be able to touch the bottom so they will not float away....
    I wish there was a class to teach common sense.....maybe some day *eye roll*
    Okay, genius......anyone who knows much about being at the beach knows that the current can have you drift even in water where you can touch bottom. Even if you're just sitting in water where your butt touches bottom, you can drift. *eye roll* back at the people who want to ridicule others but end up looking like @sses themselves.

It's not being an @ss; it's being smart or genius if that's what you want to call me. :)

Who's gonna take their 3 and 4 year old kids into the ocean and not be close enough to grab them if they start "floating away" and if the current is so strong don't take your kids in the ocean. This is one of the most ridiculous questions ever...like I said....common sense but unfortunately far too many people lack this wonderful thing!
  • chrissy28
    chrissy28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Aside from my aversion to people putting leashes on their children...... This could be very dangerous in the water, it is very easy to get tangled up in something like what your describing, which poses additional injury and drowning hazard (former life guard here) Plus if your children are small enough that you are considering leashing them to you, they are small enough that you should not be out in the water past getting their feet wet unless you are holding onto them.

I completely agree. I would not recommend having you and your children roped together in some way, especially in the ocean. that would be a huze safety hazard. My best advice would be just to do those children life vests. I see these a lot on kids when at the beach. http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=538306&cmSource=Search

I would also not let them go too far in the water. Just far enough that their feet are in and they can "jump" the waves :)
  • macpatti
    Options
    have you ever been to the beach before? if you just let them play in the sand right at the shore you are fine. the water hits them and they are still getting wet having fun. i personally wouldn't try and have two kids of that age in the water all by myself. its too hard. you can also dig out a big hole and fill it up with water and then they have their own "pool" thats what i always did when my kids were small.
    Good advice!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    oh also, be sure and set your stuff up and play right by the lifeguard if you are not experienced at the beach
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    hahahaha This can't be serious...is it? You mean Floatation devices?
    I don't think she's looking for floatation devices. Seemed to me that she was looking for something to keep them attached to her so they wouldn't drift with the current. But, that's just how I read it anyway.

macpatti does it again!
  • macpatti
    Options
    Who's gonna take their 3 and 4 year old kids into the ocean and not be close enough to grab them if they start "floating away" and if the current is so strong don't take your kids in the ocean.
    I think we've covered that she doesn't really mean "float away". You can drift in a current that's not that strong. While she's grabbing or chasing after the 3 year old, maybe she's worried about the 4 year old. I personally wouldn't wrist tie them to me, but that's me.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

It's a start up company...new to this.
    Gonna have macpatti as my creepy secretary
  • yoovie
    Options
    so tell me, patti, can I call you patti? How does it feel to be one of the most literal/gullible/aggressive advice-giving people on MFP? Is that a fun combination? Is that working for ya?

Hope so! Takes all kinds to create an entire community!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

It's a start up company...new to this.
    Gonna have macpatti as my creepy secretary

Well, it sounds like a growth industry. Please let me know when you need a second employee.
  • macpatti
    Options
    so tell me, patti, can I call you patti? How does it feel to be one of the most literal/gullible/aggressive advice-giving people on MFP? Is that a fun combination? Is that working for ya?
    You're in this thread, why? To offer a reply to the OP or because you like stalking me? I'm not sure how you got any of those adjectvies from my many posts throughout the day. I'm sure you read them all. You okay? How's stalking working for ya?
  • yoovie
    Options
    You're in this thread, why? To offer a reply to the OP or because you like stalking me? I'm not sure how you got any of those adjectvies from my many posts throughout the day. I'm sure you read them all. You okay? How's stalking working for ya?

cant stalk someone who isnt on your friends list. At least my suggestion wouldn't get her kids tangled in rope in the ocean.

the rest im not explaining cause it just proves my pointilage. peace!
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what it would be called or if I will have to make it my self. I am taking my children (3 and 4) to the beach next month. I want something to secure around my wrist and their wrist that will make us attached. We will be in the ocean ( although not very deep) so I don't want them to float away. I would also use it for walking around when we are sight seeing. Does anyone know where I can find something like that? I don't want a cute animal harness because it will bet wet.

l1l3o.gif

This is priceless! Died laughing...I am typing this from Purgatory.
  • macpatti
    Options
    cant stalk someone who isnt on your friends list. At least my suggestion wouldn't get her kids tangled in rope in the ocean.
    Sure you can. See, under your name where you have posts? I can click on 2,430 and see all your posts. Then I can go follow you to the thread and insult you. Oh, but you already knew that and you were just playing dumb, right?
  • yoovie
    Options
    Sure you can. See, under your name where you have posts? I can click on 2,430 and see all your posts. Then I can go follow you to the thread and insult you. Oh, but you already knew that and you were just playing dumb, right?

no i didnt know that.
  • ShanniLee
    ShanniLee Posts: 69
    Options

no i didnt know that.

yoovie: I think you have a stalker :P