How old were you when your best friend moved away?

Options
garita93
garita93 Posts: 276 Member
My son's best friend, who is also like a son to us, moved away to Texas today. They are 16 years old and have been best friends since 18 mos old. It got me thinking of when one of my childhood friends moved away to California when I was in 4th grade. I never saw her again and I think there were only a few letters exchanged.

So this got me wondering how old were you when your childhood best friend moved away?

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, we are inseperable. He is like my right hand... man. Honestly, I was 12. My best friend that is, not my right hand.
  • Sondras09
    Sondras09 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Im an Air Force brat. I never stayed anywhere long enough to make that kind of friendship.
  • thinrunner
    thinrunner Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was 10 when my best friend moved to Virginia. They moved back a year later. Then two years ago they moved to Europe, and now they are coming back next month!! :D I can say it is very worth staying in touch! It keeps you from being upset on those days you really miss hanging out with them or just having your best friend to talk with. Because when you stay in touch you know how their doing and it's a little bit easier :) Hope the best for your son!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I have had the same best friend since I was 8 years old. I was 18 when I moved away from her. Nothing has changed in our relationship, and I see her once a year. We talk on the phone once every month or so (for an hour or more).

Flying back home in 6 days, can't wait to see her :)
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    My best friend moved away up to Northern BC 4 years ago, we see each other maybe once or twice a year now :(
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Im an Air Force brat. I never stayed anywhere long enough to make that kind of friendship.

This. It's comical how few close friends I have. But those that are, are mostly friends I've made in my adult life.
  • Ginder23
    Ginder23 Posts: 8
    Options
    i was 34 when i moved to the usa(from Germany) lots of my friends are back there. i have one real close friend, we went together in kindergarden and all the way through school and education.Played sports and had fun , we stay in touch once a while......
  • Sondras09
    Sondras09 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

This. It's comical how few close friends I have. But those that are, are mostly friends I've made in my adult life.

I have one friend from high school. The rest are all friends from MY time in the military. I wouldnt trade them for the world though.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I was the best friend that moved away :( I was 23
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My very best friend in the whole world lived right beside me till I was 7..
    She moved not too far away so we still seen each other often till she graduated, but our friendship wasn't as close...
    It was still heartbreaking though we used to sneak over to each others house late at night I missed her..
  • garita93
    Options

I have one friend from high school. The rest are all friends from MY time in the military. I wouldnt trade them for the world though.

We moved a lot when I was a kid too, 4th and 5th grade are the only years I went to the same school. My closest friends since have all been long distance friends. As an adult my BFF moved when I was 26, haven't had one since, 34 now. Pathetic I know. lol :noway:
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Best friends since 14 and we live in the same city, but don't see each other but once or twice a year.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I was the one that moved away. From him and her. I seriously think I probably would have married my best guy friend, he was the most gentlemanly 6 year old I ever knew. I loved his mom too! I was 6 when I moved away. I think about them a lot though. :[
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I actually moved away from my best friend...I was 8.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My mom was the person who helped set up new stores and train people in new departments so we were always the family that moved. The longest i ever stayed in one place was about 5 years when I was in 8th grade - 12th grade. The best friend I had during those years moved away when we were in 11th grade, but we still keep in touch to this day.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I was always the friend who moved away. My father was military.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I was the one who moved away :( I was 10 and we lost touch, but I found him again about 4 years ago, so we're in touch some now....I missed him and thought about him all those years!

I think it's different nowdays, with all the technology, etc. your 16 year-old should be able to stay in contact through phone, facebook etc. Not the same as in person, but better than nothing!
  • garita93
    Options
    Best friends since 14 and we live in the same city, but don't see each other but once or twice a year.

That is sad, to me it is at least. But in the same aspect life is crazy busy so it is understandable in a way too.
  • sarahh87
    sarahh87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My best friend moved away the summer after 7th grade, and we were both 13. It was heart wrenching and I still remember the moment she broke the news they would be moving four hours away. Then, we went to college 13 hours apart. Now we live across the country from one another. Thankfully, our friendship was true and we remain best friends to this day, 12 years later. Her family is like my second family and even though I haven't seen her in over a year now, or we go months without speaking, we always pick up right where we left off and never miss a beat :) I'm so thankful to have found at least one true friend!