Sound Familiar, Bingers?

Options
I have posted numerous times on MFP about my absolute love for Marianne Williamsons book "A Course in Weight-Loss". I just re-read my favorite chapter "Start a love affair with food" when I get the urge to binge or have a lack of self-control. Read this brief excerpt. Sound familiar??:

"""What you’ve had up to this point has been an obsessive relationship, and an obsessive relationship is not love. Whether with a substance or with a person, an obsessive relationship is a dance of the wounded ... a carnival of pain ... but not a real love affair, because there is no love there. To think you need food that you don’t really need, to practically inhale food, to crave food, to obsess about food, to binge on and then alternately avoid food, to control food and need to be rigid around it — none of these bespeak a love affair. Pain and compulsion and self-hate are not love.

The true lover of food is able to take time with it. She can savor food, and non-neurotically delight in it. She can chew it thoroughly and actually taste it. She can eat without guilt and stop eating without too great an effort. She can celebrate how food is contributing to her health. She can wonder at it and appreciate its beauty. She can linger over a fruit stand and study the curves of a pear. She can gaze at a pomegranate and feel awe at the fact that thousands of years ago, people ate these, too. She can shop for groceries without wondering if anyone is watching her or judging her. She can gaze at a pretty bunch of grapes and consider whether she’d prefer them in her stomach or in a crystal bowl on her table. She can take one bite of something delicious, ecstatically breathe in the taste, and enjoy waiting before taking another bite. For her, the spaces in between each bite are part of the joy of her experience.

No, the compulsive eater is no lover of food. When it comes to your enjoyment of eating, your best days are not behind you but ahead of you!

The eating patterns of an overeater are chaotic, fearful, furtive and out of control. And yet, these dysfunctional patterns are not your deeper problem. They are symptoms of the problem. Your deeper problem is the hysteria in your gut — the silent, traumatized shriek of “I’m empty! Fill me! I’m empty! Fill me!” — the irrational and irresistible energy that’s wormed its way into your brain, stationed itself in your nervous system and won’t let go until you’ve eaten the whole thing. Start dissolving your hysteria and filling your emptiness by replacing it with love""""

Thats just one small excerpt...this entire book is overwhelmingly amazing!
xo Jenny

Replies