kettle bells?

Options
I want to get some definition going on, so I've started doing some calisthenics, but i'm guessing body weight exercises may not be enough, so i'm thinking of getting a kettle bell to workout with, only I have no clue of any exercises you can actually do with one!
how do you use them, personally?
Or would I be better of just buying some heavier weights, the heaviest I have at the moment is 2.5kg dumbbells.
I'm clueless when it comes to strength training, total newbie!

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Me, too. I have been interested in kettle bells, as well. Info????
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    For a beginner you're just as good using dumbbells as you would be kettlebells; KB's just have added marketing hype behind them because of various videos. KB's and DB's essentially use the same movement patterns, it's just the KB's center of gravity is different from a DB and it provides a different stimulus to the muscle. I would honestly say that KB's are better for a more advanced lifter that has to adjust their training stimuli more frequently to continue achieving strength gains.

If you're talking about a home gym and have some money to spend you'd be better off getting one of those adjustable DB Power Block sets or Bowflex adjustable DB's and an adjustable bench that you can easily store in a garage or something. Ideally you'd probably be best getting into a gym that has access to barbells for a more complete strength training program.
  • siliisobel
    siliisobel Posts: 49
    Options
    Have a look on youtube, my fella is into kettle bells and has got a fair bit of info from there. Good luck!
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My profile pic gives away my bias on this subject. haha

Beware of the youtube. For all of the great info you can find on that site, there is also a lot of junk that will get you hurt. If you are going to use youtube, search Franz Snideman. His videos are excellent and not lengthy, but very informative. Mike Mahler also puts up good youtube videos, but some of his are a little more advanced.

The best advice for a beginner: go to the Dragon Door website, click on the instructor link, and find a certified instructor near you. Just one or two sessions will teach you enough about the basics to be able to confidently add kettlebells to your fitness plan.
  • loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I do have access to a gym but the weights area is always populated by scary looking beefy guys and I don't fancy working out next to them!
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are awesome! The 10-20 calorie per minute burn is NOT an exaggeration. Try it and tell me if you aren't completely whipped after 20 minutes. I have worn a HRM during a 45 minute kettlebell class. This included a 10 minute joint mobility warm up with a small amount of mat work and a 10 minute cool down and the HRM said 575 calories. I have a Polar FT7 with chest strap. At the time of this measurement I weighed around 215 pounds.

I am actually doing KB at the gym today. Maybe I will dust off the HRM and see what the burn is with my current stats.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    For a beginner you're just as good using dumbbells as you would be kettlebells; KB's just have added marketing hype behind them because of various videos. KB's and DB's essentially use the same movement patterns, it's just the KB's center of gravity is different from a DB and it provides a different stimulus to the muscle. I would honestly say that KB's are better for a more advanced lifter that has to adjust their training stimuli more frequently to continue achieving strength gains.

If you're talking about a home gym and have some money to spend you'd be better off getting one of those adjustable DB Power Block sets or Bowflex adjustable DB's and an adjustable bench that you can easily store in a garage or something. Ideally you'd probably be best getting into a gym that has access to barbells for a more complete strength training program.

Agree!!!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bumping for idea's
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love my kettle bells. IMHO, dumbbells are about as good, but the best exercise is the one you will do. Can you google for a certified kettlebell trainer in your area and book an hour? It will be worth your while to see if you like them and learn some form. Also a trainer can give you some advice so you don't start too light and waste your time, or start too heavy and hurt yourself.

On youtube, I like Lauren Brooks, but there are a lot of good trainers. (And if your goal is to be a hottie with abs, watching Lauren will probably convince you to use kettlebells. ;-) )
  • lakota1307
    lakota1307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    go to you tube there are killer work outs on there I have one, they are no where as easy as they look and they do work muscles you never knew you had. Also the cardio is UNREAL will put you to the test in just a 3 - 5 minute workout !!!
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for the weight of the kettlebell. I was advised to start with a 15lb and then work up. I am up to swinging 25's or double 25's now. For overhead work, I usually drop down to my 20.

The thought behind starting with a heavier weight is that the weight will force you to counterbalance the KB, making your core tight. A few tips:

-Keep your feet planted firmly on the ground and drive your weight through your heels. You should be able to wiggle your toes through the whole routine. This helps with your posture.

-Push through your hips when swinging bell, do not use your lower back or arms to "lift" the bell during the swing. I found this out the hard way and couldn't move without muscle pain in my lower back for about 5 days.

-In the Jillian Michaels KB work out, all the girls swing over their heads. I was advised to NOT do this. They were all using very light weights. When you work with heavier weights, it is better to swing to about shoulder level or slightly higher.

A few good exercises to get you started:
    Kettlebell swing - the center of the KB work out
    Kettlebell snatch
    kettlebell sumo squat
    cleans or clean and press.
    straight leg KB deadlifts
    dynamic lunges (OUCH)

I usually do ladders.
    10 KB swings
    1 KB Snatch
    10 swings
    2 snatch
    10 swings
    3 snatch
    10 swings
    4 snatch
    (That is up the ladder)
    4 clean and press on each side (total of 8)
    10 swings
    3 clean and press OES (6)
    10 swings
    2 clean and press OES (6)
    10 swings
    1 clean and press OES (2)
    (That is down the ladder)

You can alter the number of swings you do in between. When I first started i was doing 5-7.
    In a typical routine, I will do 2-3 ladders varying the moves used between the swing sets.

Hope this helps and sorry it was long.
  • lakota1307
    lakota1307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories burned is killer !!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes - kettlebells are the really "hot" exercise right now for good reason. This exercise burns lots of calories.

Because of their popularity ... inexperienced people have jumped on the bandwagon to make a quick buck (ie: Jillian ... horrible form)
  • Maureeeen
    Maureeeen Posts: 9
    Options
    I did kettlebells this morning. I love it, too. But I have a question. How do you log it on your exercise log? What is it under?
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I followed the Kettleworx DVD's this past winter and whew- what a workout! You'll be sore for days! Highly recommend KB's.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Both free weights and kettlebells will help you. One is not better than the other. If you don't have much to spend, then I agree with getting a pair of adjustable dumbbells. That way you can add resistance without spending more money.

I LOVE kettlebell swing.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump! I bought a 15lb and I'd love to switch up my workouts