My doctor wants me to do low carb; need advice

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I just got back from getting a physical at the doctor. I'll get blood testing done Saturday for diabetes, thyroid, cholesterol, etc. I want to make sure to keep my health in check because of my parents' deaths due to heart attacks/type II diabetes.

So, I have a question or a few for you. My doctor recommended I go low carb because of the whole insulin issue. I know I've not been doing too great with sugar, but when I eat grains, they're almost always whole. Plus, I do eat 2-3 pieces of fruit everyday. I try to do cardio 4-5x/week and strength training 2-3x/week. I am worried that going low carb will affect my energy levels. Plus, when I was losing my 100+ pounds, I never completely cut out one food group. Is this all realistic? Do you have any advice?

I know I've heard several people going "on" then "off" then "on" certain diets like Atkins. I didn't want to do any one thing that I could "go off of." Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ETA: I don't think I have diabetes or specific insulin issues, but he says since my parents had issues, I need to look out for it. Also, what about other "plans" like clean eating? Would that be low or lower carb? That's really my preferred method since I kind of go that way anyway.

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    How low carb?
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    I was on cholesterol and BP meds, and the doc was constantly hounding me about my ever rising blood sugar. Now I'm pretty much clean as a whistle.

I pretty much gave up everything made with white processed flour. Gave up white rice, potato chips, corn chips... Gave up processed foods. I now eat a lot of raw vegetables, fruits, and only whole grain foods (in small quantities). I've never been a big sugar eater, so that was never a problem. Dropped my blood sugar from 134 to 88. Dropped my triglycerides from 259 to 76.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you're in ketosis, you will have MORE energy than you do now. it won't kill your levels at all.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I was on cholesterol and BP meds, and the doc was constantly hounding me about my ever rising blood sugar. Now I'm pretty much clean as a whistle.

I pretty much gave up everything made with white processed flour. Gave up white rice, potato chips, corn chips... Gave up processed foods. I now eat a lot of raw vegetables, fruits, and only whole grain foods (in small quantities). I've never been a big sugar eater, so that was never a problem. Dropped my blood sugar from 134 to 88. Dropped my triglycerides from 259 to 76.
    I can do this type of thing.

He didn't give me a number as to how long. He suggested Atkins or South Beach.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I had more enegry once I gave up on lots of carbs. I do 20% good carbs.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Low carb is AWESOME! Mainly cuz you get to replace all that "fluff" with protein and healthy fats... and I don't know anyone who doesn't secretly love delicious fat (avocados, coconut, bacon, etc)
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I eat very few carbs daily. Once you get past the first 3 days, you'll be fine.
    I have a lot more energy not eating all the carbs and not only have I lost more weight but a lot of inches.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie Forks Over Knives on Netflix, or rent it on Amazon. That movie will open your eyes to other options.

Remember...Dr Atkins died of a heart attack....he's the same dr that promised eating fats and meats would prevent heart disease.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    google glycemic index?

Generically speaking- I would assume the doc wants you to avoid flour and sugar. And by flour I'm sure he would also include whole wheat- it's still flour.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My energy was never good when I low carbed but I had to do it to keep my BG under control. I'm a T2 diabetic and apparently make little insulin. We're talking months of eating 25 carbs then 50 then 75. Around 75 I started feeling good again.

If you don't want to go induction level atkins then don't. If you aren't having issues why worry about them. Cutting out refined carbs and refined sugar will help anyone. Make sure you eat lots of non starchy veggies, a few pieces of fruit and whole grains along with proteins, healthy fats etc and you will have a nice, sustainable lifestyle.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Try looking into 'low glycemic' instead of low-carb. Basically, that just limits the types of carbs that send your blood sugar for a whirl (so you'll eat more apples, less bananas). Another option isn't to go low carb but to go high protein. I make myself eat at least 120g of protein/day and, because of that, I'm naturally eating less carbs because I'm not as hungry. I still eat pasta, fruit, and bread, just not as much.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I consider my diet to be low carb. I don't eat any bread/pasta/rice/potatoes because they upset my stomach and make me feel lethargic, not really for a weight loss reason, and my doctor (and a nutritionist) recommended it. I get all of my carbs from fruits and veggies, and I eat a lot of protein. I have tons of energy and work out 6-7 days per week, usually at a high intensity.

Feel free to take a look at my diary for an idea of my take on low carb. I've set my macros to 40% protein/30% carbs/30% fats, although I'm usually under on my carb intake. The way I've done it is more of a realistic lifestyle change as opposed to a strict diet, and I do have my days here and there where I eat starches and/or drink beer like it's going out of style. All in moderation! I would say my diet is pretty clean and free of processed foods for the most part.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    my husband is type 2. He was able to keep the whole grains but unfortunately, he had to give up fruit, it was too much of a blood sugar spike. His energy level has not changed, if anything its gone up since now that he's lost weight from the diet change. The dr gave us carb limits to stay within, which was 14-16 carb exchanges, or 210-240 g per day and to space everything out between the meals. She also said to try and limit the junk carbs for the good ones, and we only kinda did. He's now diet controlled, no meds, so i think we've done okay. I'd ask the dr what they mean by low carb. Diabetics can't avoid carbs, you need them for energy, its about choosing the ones that give you the best energy.
  • Shadom
    Shadom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check various sources on the internet. Read widely before you decide.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options

I can do this type of thing.

He didn't give me a number as to how long. He suggested Atkins or South Beach.

I consider South Beach a very lifestyle-oriented diet. I did Atkins some years ago, and I had a very hard really sticking to it for long.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    you need to ask your doctor HOW low carb he wants you to go! When I was diagnosed with insulin resistance 7-8 years ago, my doctor told me to aim for 50g net carbs per day. To get an idea of what foods to eat, etc, I read the Atkins book. I cannot remember if I did induction back then, and this time around I am aiming between 50-100g net carbs.

Honestly, I have very few issues with low energy or hunger.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie Forks Over Knives on Netflix, or rent it on Amazon. That movie will open your eyes to other options.

Remember...Dr Atkins died of a heart attack....he's the same dr that promised eating fats and meats would prevent heart disease.

Actually he died from a fall where he smacked his head pretty hard.

Watch Fat Head, it's way more entertaining! :P
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    eating low carb is actually easier than you might think, i usually aim for around 40% or less carbs and the rest being fat and protein. the typical "diet" standard is 60% carbs. also eating foods lower on the glycemic index can help. south beach diet was a great way for me to introduce healthy filling fats and proteins into my diet because before then i had NO clue how to cut carbs from my diet, and adding them back in gradually works for a lot of people because you become more choosy on what you do and do not consume. try it :)
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins for a year and half and lost 50 pounds. About 2 years later, after alot of personal stress, my sugar started to creep up. I was 53 at the time...I told my doc I didn't want the disease or the complications...he recommended I get and read Dr. Neil Barnard's "Reversing Type II Diabetes". It's loaded with research...I got it, read as far as Chapter 2 before I realized he was prescribing a low fat, vegan diet. I switched and haven't looked back. Two years later, my blood work looks like I'm in my low 40's, not my mid-50's (was 55 just yesterday) and my sugar's perfect.

All that said I'm not saying "go vegan", although I'm a huge believer. I've done alot of other reading and am convinced that the real culprit for Type II diabetes is not sugar or simple carbs - they just make the situation worse - but interstitial fat, which builds up within and around cells. So I'm a VERY strong advocate of "eating clean" and eating low fat - which in my case, means I just accept whatever fats are naturally in clean foods and I don't add any oils when I cook.

Personally I think you're far better off to go with clean eating - balancing legumes, veggies, whole grains, fruits - and water, tea, etc - if you eat that way, your body will just naturally do what it needs to do to shed weight and stabilize sugar (among other things). But I also believe that "one size doesn't fit all" and what works for me might not work for others. So all the above is just my experience.

The best thing is that you're staying cognizant of the risks and seeking the best approach to achieve balanced health. Good for you and keep it up!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go LOW carb at first, if at all. Just shoot for lower carb. What's your carb intake like right now? I do 30% (around 100 g) carbs, and 35% fat and protein. Cut out processed foods. Eat whole, clean foods as much as possible.