I'M ALWAYS HUNGRY UGH!!

Options
I just restarted my diet 3 days ago i have been doing pretty good on my calories and exercising but today i slipped up and craved chips and salsa but i dont want to add it to my calories :^( i cant work out until tomorrow cause my calfs need a rest from the 2 days i have been working out they are extremely sore i just want to stop my hunger and i have no idea how to do it.

any ideas?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've added it to your diary, so that's an important first step! Next, don't panic! It's very early days for you, so don't expect to be perfect all at once. In fact, perfection isn't required at all! You've gone 135 cals over your goal so I expect you still have a calorie deficit, so you won't gain fat. A pound of fat takes about 3,500 calories over and above your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), and you TDEE is a number above your daily calorie goal, so you're fine!

As for hunger, try to eat things that are high in protein and fibre, to keep you fuller. Try to fill up on things like veggies that are bulky, but not very calorie-dense. Keep well hydrated too, as thirst can sometimes feel like hunger.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Look into Intermittent fasting .. I don't recommend this for everyone .. but it may work for you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Apazman/view/one-meal-per-day-on-days-i-m-not-working-out-165876
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Salsa is very low-calorie, so the chips are the only thing that was tough for your budget to fit. the two best ideas i can come up with are:

1) look for a substitute. sounds crazy, but have you tried celery and salsa, or jicama and salsa, or bell peppers and salsa, or lettuce and salsa? the crunch and salsa flavor may get the craving out of your head.

2) can you postpone your craving, and tell yourself that you are allowed to have chips and salsa tomorrow, if you still really want it? that way, you give the craving time to go away. if the craving is still there, you have time to budget some extra calories with exercise or a little extra mindful eating.

i have decided that slipping up does not prevent weight loss, provided you get back on track afterwards. It's the "giving up and eating whatever and not tracking" mentality that prevents weight loss following a slip-up. skinny people eat a few too many calories one day, and a deficit the next. in the long run, they eat at maintenance. so keep practicing eating the maintenance cals of your goal weight person, and your body will eventually catch up with your lifestyle.
  • sej1990
    sej1990 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    thank you that makes me feel better that i can mess up and shouldnt feel bad about it
  • sej1990
    Options
    i will never fast if i dont eat for a certain amount of time i start to shake and i shake bad to the point where i will eat anything in sight when i have low blood sugars so not a good idea lol
  • sej1990
    Options
    well i have only 1 day a week where i can eat anything i want i was told a while ago by many people that it will help my metabolism and also will be able to get all my cravings in
  • WadeyLady
    WadeyLady Posts: 18
    Options
    Last week I had a rubbish day at work and ate 3 almond magnums!! We're all human and have slip ups, don't feel bad about it :)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You're eating nothing but carbs. Eat more protein. Cocoa puffs for breakfast is setting yourself up for failure. If you say you can't do IF because of blood sugar issues why are you eating nothing but sugar for breakfast?? You need to seriously educate yourself. If you want this to last you have to eat more than bagels and cocoa puffs. Eat at least 100g of protein tomorrow. I guarantee you won't be near as hungry.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    well i have only 1 day a week where i can eat anything i want i was told a while ago by many people that it will help my metabolism and also will be able to get all my cravings in

And who are these people? I need to shoot them!
  • AlissaMyron
    Options
    The first sign of thirst (dehydration) is hunger. Try a big glass of water next time with your snack, that will help to fill space in your stomach, while still allowing yourself to enjoy your chips & salsa. :)
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I would find healthier alternatives. 850 calories for just 2 slices of pizza and some ranch is a lot of calories to just be hungry again in a couple hours. It's not just about eating better for me personally, but I get to eat a lot more food for less calories. That's what makes healthier eating worth it for me.

I eat less calories per day than you and my diary has TONS of things in it. I eat almost nonstop ALL DAY.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You're eating nothing but carbs. Eat more protein. Cocoa puffs for breakfast is setting yourself up for failure. If you say you can't do IF because of blood sugar issues why are you eating nothing but sugar for breakfast?? You need to seriously educate yourself. If you want this to last you have to eat more than bagels and cocoa puffs. Eat at least 100g of protein tomorrow. I guarantee you won't be near as hungry.

^This^ is so so true...protein fills you right up - there was a TV show about the science behind dieting and although I don't take this word for word I do believe there is truth in it...protein sends 2 to 3 times the amount of 'I'm full' signals to your brain than carbohydrates.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

pewpewpew!!!!

You can fit anything in your daily calories...you shouldnt feel guilty...log it then make good choices...and i agree MFP is way low on the protein goal...eating more of it has helped me feel satisfied more.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oh and don't fast its a load of bull****. The only thing it will do is make you hungry.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm like you too. I'm always hungry! Try eating lean meats... They keep you full longer than just carbs. Eat whatever you want everyday but exercise portion control. If you want chips, buy the 100 cal packs and eat them. If you want an ice-cream, get the kiddie size. It'll work better for you in the long run since you won't be denying yourself foods you love and you'll be less likely to binge eat on your cheat day or even want a cheat day.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options

pewpewpew!!!!

You can fit anything in your daily calories...you shouldnt feel guilty...log it then make good choices...and i agree MFP is way low on the protein goal...eating more of it has helped me feel satisfied more.

Yeah, I manually went in to change the macros...it usually puts your carbs at like 55%!!!!! No way.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you're always hungry make sure you are getting enough protein and fiber into your diet, both of these help keep you feel fuller longer. A lot of times when we diet it's not real hunger we are feeling just boredom, emotions, etc. Emotional hunger. If you're really craving something take a minute to think if you're really hungry or if you just feel like eating. If you still really want it just work it into your calories :) If you go a little over one day, don't worry about it, not every day will be perfect and this is a lifestyle change. You aren't going to stop eating chips and salsa for the rest of your life.

Also make sure you are drinking enough water, there are times are bodies mistake hunger for thirst.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating more protein, my diary is far from perfect, but on days I eat more meat, I tend to crave less snacks
  • salfally
    salfally Posts: 6
    Options
    I've never had a magnum. I've afraid they r like heroin and i'd never b able to quit without serious rehab lol. Better NOT to know how good they actually are. :). They look crazy good!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Do you eat many veggies? I only looked at you diary for a few days -- that's what seemed missing to me the most. Also, you kind of seem to eat a lot of processed foods - a lot. I eat some too, so that's not a judgement but that could be why you are hungry a lot. Things like Ramen, boxed mac and cheese, cocoa puffs -- these are fill with empty calories. It's not that calories aren't calories -- but you get a TON more food if you choose less processed options.