P90X/MFP/Nutrition plan ?s

Options
So I'm on week 3 of P90X, gained 3lbs(i know its not fat), but having a hard time decifering which eating plan I should be doing...A good friend, whom Im borrowing P90X from, swears by the nutrtion plan for P90X(he did lose 60+ lbs). I have been eating 90% clean, i'd say, but he thinks I should drop MFP as far as macros/cals go, and follow the nutrition plan.....
ANY AND ALL SUGGETSTIONS WELCOME!!!! :-)

Also, I try not to go by what the scale says, but i'm 5'3" 184lbs. I have some weight to lose, and would LOVE to see the scale start budging again. I was losing an average 1 lb per week before I started p90x....

Replies

• tangledflower
    tangledflower Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you on?
    I totally ignore the RDA for the nutrients on this thing, If anything I use it to make sure I am getting the right amount. e.g. I try for 1000mg of Vit C every day and at least 600mg calcium.
    Also I ignore cholesterol and only take the fat scale with a pinch of salt. 2 eggs will take you over your RDA for cholesterol but there is plenty of research to indicate that despite what the media say eggs do not increase bad cholesterol. As for Fats I ignore that completely but I am mindful of the types of fats I eat. For example I would take the extra calories for real butter which is said to be high in fat against the lower calorie, lower fat level of low fat spreads simply for the kind of fat that they are (trans fats) and the way the body can not break them down.

Its all well and good to use RDA but RDA does not consider the way the body breaks down foods particulary those manipulated from their natural form like spreads or sugar free junk (aspartamine also super bad for you).
  • michaelispas
    michaelispas Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Your friend is right. But don't drop MFP. You can custom-tailor it to get the right percents for your daily consumption.

I do P90X as well and have lost 70 pounds (and counting). I follow the nutrition plan as tight as I can. I can PM you the nutrition guideline if you would like.

Feel free to add me, I'm still doing the P90X nutrition. Maybe you can get some ideas from it. Bring it!
  • c1better
    c1better Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the P90x Classic Routine or the Lean Routine?
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I just completed a round of P90X and used the 40/40/20 ratio. You can set up MFP to do that for you. The calorie requirements in the P90X diet guide were too high for my liking, and MFP made it easy to track my intake.
  • Nicole921
    Nicole921 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i am doing Classic. AFter studying up on what most ppl do, they end up quitting lean, and switching to classic
  • Nicole921
    Options
    How many calories are you on?
    I totally ignore the RDA for the nutrients on this thing, If anything I use it to make sure I am getting the right amount. e.g. I try for 1000mg of Vit C every day and at least 600mg calcium.
    Also I ignore cholesterol and only take the fat scale with a pinch of salt. 2 eggs will take you over your RDA for cholesterol but there is plenty of research to indicate that despite what the media say eggs do not increase bad cholesterol. As for Fats I ignore that completely but I am mindful of the types of fats I eat. For example I would take the extra calories for real butter which is said to be high in fat against the lower calorie, lower fat level of low fat spreads simply for the kind of fat that they are (trans fats) and the way the body can not break them down.

Its all well and good to use RDA but RDA does not consider the way the body breaks down foods particulary those manipulated from their natural form like spreads or sugar free junk (aspartamine also super bad for you).

I am at 1500 cals, not really watching anything but sugar intake...which i've had a MAJOR sweet tooth that i need to learn to control...
  • Nicole921
    Options
    Your friend is right. But don't drop MFP. You can custom-tailor it to get the right percents for your daily consumption.

I do P90X as well and have lost 70 pounds (and counting). I follow the nutrition plan as tight as I can. I can PM you the nutrition guideline if you would like.

Feel free to add me, I'm still doing the P90X nutrition. Maybe you can get some ideas from it. Bring it!

yeah, i really dont want to drop MFP bc its working well for me and keeps me in check! but i also dont want to do 3 different food journals!
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1500 net? You might not be eating enough. I lost my first 40 pounds doing P90X and was netting 1800 a day. I know it seems really counterproductive to losing weight but once I upped my calories on MFP to the recommend amount my workouts got better (more energy, better results) and the weight started to drop off.
  • classic_1
    classic_1 Posts: 147
    Options
    1500 net? You might not be eating enough. I lost my first 40 pounds doing P90X and was netting 1800 a day. I know it seems really counterproductive to losing weight but once I upped my calories on MFP to the recommend amount my workouts got better (more energy, better results) and the weight started to drop off.

The same thing happened to me...I realized I wasn't netting enough and my weight was just stuck...once, I upped my calories the weight has been shedding off.

I use MFP to track my macros and calories thats all...its been working.

anybody feel free to add me. I need more P90X friends
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i have been doing p90x with great success... i am on my 5th week of my second round of p90x. I didn't follow their food plan as i don't always have the things they have in my house and i live too far from the city to get everything when i run out... what i did do is follow their suggested macros for each phase.... i was good at eating clean and staying under or around my macros so this worked out well for me. I don't really believe in going on diets and follow meal plans because if you don't feel like eating what they are suggesting you eat then you will be unsatisfied with what you are and may even end up binging on something you do like that might not be healthy... so i say eat things in moderation and be wise about the foods you choose to cook.
  • Nicole921
    Options

Ugh!! thats alot of calories when i've been used to 1200-1500....its scares me!!! lol, but serioulsy, it does!!:-/ Esp when i NET around 1200....:-/
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am almost done P90x. I have 3 weeks left. I haven't followed the plan but I have changed my settings to 40/40/20. I'm doing well on it. Next set I do I am focusing on nutirtion. You need to eat more though. Up your calories slowly if a jump scares you. You can add me if you like. I am always looking for new P90x friends
  • GMONEY22
    GMONEY22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can you please tell me where on MFP can you adjust your settings to reflect 4040/20? Thanks.