How do you get your 8 glasses of H2O a day?

Options
13»

Replies

• andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I don't... Rarely do I get more than 4-6 cups of straight water, but I do drink other liquids, like diet soda, tea and crystal light. I know everyone says diet soda's aren't good (including my family), but the pamphlet from the dr.'s office said that diet soda is ok as long as you can see through it.. So no more Diet Dr. Pepper :explode: but I'm still drinking a lot of Fresca and Diet Sprite.
  • pea1313
    pea1313 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks Shady. Really appreciate that.
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shady. Really appreciate that.

Dont take it like im BSing it may sound like that but im not. Just dont think about it. When you think about it, then it seems impossible. Just do what i said and its easy to drink 8+ cups a day sometimes i get 15 doing it like that.
  • mrsbarnyard
    mrsbarnyard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always have one glass of water as soon as I wake up. Then I make sure I always have water in the car. For some reason, I can drink a whole 500mL of water in the five minutes or so it takes me to get to work. Also, I always drink a glass of water before every meal. That also helps you feel full so you don't over eat.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    i carry a few water bottles around with me during the day, 22oz, 26oz, and another one that is somewhere in between (24oz, maybe). i drink one before lunch, one after lunch, one at the gym, then just drink water when i'm thirsty the remainder of the day. the one i drink at the gym has flavored powder in it, some brand of fitness powder.
  • pea1313
    Options
    I know how the OP feels on this one on my work days. I work as a floor RN on a busy cardiac unit, no drinking allowed except in designated area... and when you are constantly trying to meet EVERYONE ELSE'S needs that you are caring for, 10 hours will go by before you even have a chance to gulp something really quick!

Just try to drink as much as you can before and after on the drive and during lunch breaks :tongue:

Yep! I work in surgery.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I know how the OP feels on this one on my work days. I work as a floor RN on a busy cardiac unit, no drinking allowed except in designated area... and when you are constantly trying to meet EVERYONE ELSE'S needs that you are caring for, 10 hours will go by before you even have a chance to gulp something really quick!

Just try to drink as much as you can before and after on the drive and during lunch breaks :tongue:

This just infuriates me. Dehydration can definitely cause brain fuzz, which is the last thing anyone wants you to have. But hospitals can't be bothered to hire enough people to work them sane hours and give them breaks.

GRRRR!

(Plus I feel sorry for you, that sounds stressful and exhausting.)
  • mrsbarnyard
    mrsbarnyard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always have one glass of water as soon as I wake up. Then I make sure I always have water in the car. For some reason, I can drink a whole 500mL of water in the five minutes or so it takes me to get to work. Also, I always drink a glass of water before every meal. That also helps you feel full so you don't over eat.
  • pea1313
    Options

This just infuriates me. Dehydration can definitely cause brain fuzz, which is the last thing anyone wants you to have. But hospitals can't be bothered to hire enough people to work them sane hours and give them breaks.

GRRRR!

I love my job, but more staff would be MOST appreciated!
  • pea1313
    Options
    i dont have a problem getting my water in, usually, except lately, but i guess i am in a rut. i find if i always carry a bottle with me in the car, it helps. and since tilting my head back while driving isn't really a great idea, i have found a good place to chug some water is at red lights. it gives me a good chance to drink a few gulps. by the time i get back from a local store, i have pretty much finished the bottle. while this won't get you 8 glasses a day (unless you work really far from home, i guess) it should help a little bit. one tip here, one tip there all adds up.

good luck...

Yep. I was doing great, but now feeling so tired all the time. I also haven't lost any weight in over a week. Need to do something to get things moving again.
  • pea1313
    Options
    umm, are these 8 hour work days? and do you have a lunch break? I drink about 1-2 bottles just from the time I get up and leave the house to do whatever for the day. then you could have 1-2servings (8oz) each at lunch. then drink the rest at night or during your workout.

If i do get a lunch break, I usually have to scrub back in, which means no bathroom time. So I usually don't drink a lot during that time.
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options

GRRRR!

Yes! I looove taking care of those that need it! But, it IS hard to be good to yourself when you are so focused on others. We need more people in healthcare!!! (I sound like a recruiter now...) :laugh:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Water while I exercise, constantly, and endless peppermint tea in the evenings.
  • Snowbird73
    Snowbird73 Posts: 25
    Options
    Being retired, I do not have that problem, but I still find it difficult to get in the recommended 8 (8 ounce) glasses per day. A friend in Huntsville, AL is on a bible based diet that recommends the following formula for determining how much water is needed per day: Body weight in lbs. divided by 2. This is the number of ounces of water needed per day. According to this, I would need 10.5 eight ounce glasses per day. Supposedly, this aids the body is getting rid of fat. I will stick with 8 and I usually don't get all of that.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I don´t agree.
    It depends on how much exercise people do.
    My daughter has swimming practice 5 times a week + cardio and she drinks during the day but never the less she ended up in ER because she fainted due to hydration.
    If you are training or doing much exercise you need a lot of fluid.
    Some people need more than others so you can´t say for sure who does need those 8 glasses and who doesn´t.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I can't have a drink while I'm working, so I find it very difficult to get in all the water I need. How do you do it?

You can't have water at work? You may need to look into that. If you get breaks, chug that water. I always keep my bottle which is a liter full at all times.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I don´t agree.
    It depends on how much exercise people do.
    My daughter has swimming practice 5 times a week + cardio and she drinks during the day but never the less she ended up in ER because she fainted due to hydration.
    If you are training or doing much exercise you need a lot of fluid.
    Some people need more than others so you can´t say for sure who does need those 8 glasses and who doesn´t.
    uhh meant to say she fainted because of dyhydration
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

GRRRR!

Yes! I looove taking care of those that need it! But, it IS hard to be good to yourself when you are so focused on others. We need more people in healthcare!!! (I sound like a recruiter now...) :laugh:

Thank you all for what you do. You deserve to be able to take care of yourselves, too!