weight loss without working out

Options
.. anyone lost reasonable amount without working out?

i had a mc, and doc advised me to stay off of my feet for a month.. i have always lost weight while working out so this is something that i need more insight on ..

any advice?

Replies

• kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My first ten pounds were lost without almost any exercise. I didn't look very good naked, though. Much better now with weights and running! But yes, it is entirely possible.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

i had a mc, and doc advised me to stay off of my feet for a month.. i have always lost weight while working out so this is something that i need more insight on ..

any advice?

As long as you're eating less calories than you burn you will still lose weight regardless of exercise. It's not ideal, but it's sure better than not losing weight, in most cases.
  • mommamorris
    mommamorris Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i have lost 25.5 lbs in 70 days and i havent done much exercise. maybe a walk at 2.0-2.5 speed for 10-50 minutes, sometimes... i have a lot to lose and i wanted to get some off before i start my exercise regiment.... Good luck with your weight loss....
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight up to now without working out at all, just eating healthily and watching the calories. Am just at the point now where I feel the urge to add some exercise to start building up the fitness, but I'm pretty sure I could carry on losing even without that.. If you're only off your feet for a month you should do just fine!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i'm losing weight with next to no exercise. I did exercise a bunch in the beginning but i am losing more now with no exercise... i figure once i hit my goal then i will tone up.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can continue losing without exercise. I've seen a few successful folks do just that. However, the docs advised you to stay off your feet, but did they say anything about upper body workouts? If you're still able to work out with your upper body, you can shadow box (seated, of course), lift some lighter weights to keep your arms toned, that kind of thing. Might be something to consider.
  • K8tzmom
    K8tzmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was in a strict weight loss program where I ate 90 g of protein a day, 4 servings of veggies, and 3 of fruit, 2 of bread - calories were 1140. I lost an avg of 1# a week without exercise. When I started to exercise, it didn't change, but I did firm up. So, yes you can do it - just be sure the calories expended are more than the calories taken in.
  • clarajeanbean
    clarajeanbean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know what an mc is, but I've been held back by a hip and lower back problem on a number of occasions. You can still lose weight by just watching what you're eating very carefully. It just moves slower, and you're more likely to hit plateaus more often because you're not building muscle to raise your metabolism. I'd look into cardio (and possibly even strength) exercises you can do sitting down if you're getting frustrated. A month isn't so long. If you're supposed to go easy on yourself when you do get back on your feet, look at lower impact workouts like water aerobics.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Eat properly to lose weight, workout to be fit and strong. End of story.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I was working out some, but got rather lax after injuring my arm. Being in pain makes me tired and unmotivated...but even with not exercising (if you don't count taking the stairs at work and the massive parking lot), I am still slowly losing weight. I seem to average about 5 lbs a month with or without exercise.

Starting physical therapy next week and hopefully I will start healing and learn how to exercise properly without injuring myself. :blushing:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

any advice?
    Swim.
    That's off your feet. There are always possibilities when exercise is a priority.
    Good luck.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs in about 8 months without working out and following Weight Watchers (I don't use WW anymore.. and I exercise now), but I am not sure I learned anything by doing that. If there's anything you can do to be active, I'd advise doing it as soon as you can :-)
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That is why they don't give you much to eat in the hospital. It is harder but possible like the others said. It is calories in and calories burned. I get too weak and hungry if I have to eat less than 2000 cals. a day, but when I am sick I don't eat much. Good luck and get well soon.
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i don't really have an answer for your question... i just wanted to say i am so sorry for your loss. i have had two mc's and i know how much they suck!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about the MC, and yes you can still lose weight. You'll have to adjust your calorie intake to include no exercise. It will be trial and error though.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    So sorry, hon. Yes, this is doable. More calories out than in is the easy and true answer, but HOW is trickier. I don't know about you, but when I lay around, I want to snack. So log everything, and plan ahead for filling snacks that you can eat a lot of without busting your calories -- celery, cucumbers, gum, ice chips, whatever (I am by no means saying you should be eating nothing but that kind of thing; just have a plan for the mindless munchies). Drink a lot of water; so many times when we eat, we're actually a little on the parched side, and eat when drinking water would have satisfied the craving. Need some variety? Go for teas instead of sugary drinks like soda or fruit juice. A spicy chai tea (tea, not latte) is nothing but goodness. :)
    Finally, keep yourself busy. Do you have a craft or other hobby you can keep your hands and brain busy with? Distraction, distraction, distraction! Again, I'm not talking about ignoring legitimate hunger, just keeping yourself too busy to be sucked into the mindless munchies.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Uggg seriously this is wrong on so many damn levels and your an idiot. MC ='s miscarriage. Please think before you post. She has to be on bedrest and not by her choice
  • joannmdunn
    joannmdunn Posts: 22
    Options
    My husband has dropped over 20 pounds just making dietary changes.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I got to my goal by eating healthy without working out. I am trying to get back there by eating right and exercising and it is a lot slower.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Uggg seriously this is wrong on so many damn levels and your an idiot. MC ='s miscarriage. Please think before you post. She has to be on bedrest and not by her choice

My statement still applies. Weight loss is the result of being at a calorie deficit.