Any ideas or ol wives tales about becoming pregnant?

Options
My husband and I are having trouble , becoming pregnant. We have been trying for almost a year, and nothing. I talked to him today and he refuses to go to the OB-GYN to get his sperm tested. He ABSOLUTELY hates doctors! HE has been traumatized, by one and has not been to a dr. in 6 years.
So does anyone have any suggestions for us?

Thanks for all the advice, The only reason he does not want to go to the doctor, is someone told him a horror story about what they went through to be tested; and that is all it took!

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are having trouble , becoming pregnant. We have been trying for almost a year, and nothing. I talked to him today and he refuses to go to the OB-GYN to get his sperm tested. He ABSOLUTELY hates doctors! HE has been traumatized, by one and has not been to a dr. in 6 years.
    So does anyone have any suggestions for us?

my suggestion is to go to a counsellor together until he is ready to go back to a doctor. i think this is so important....
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Tell him to grow some. Literally and figuratively. It's not like the Dr. is going to manually extract it.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Do you have a regular cycle? If so, read Taking Charge of Your Fertility, follow the system, and see how it works for you. If it doesn't work, probably time to see a doctor.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Let him know how important it is to you to find out, that you love him and want to have a child with him.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My inclination is....if he's not willing to go to the doctor, and have them look at a sperm sample under a microscope.....he's not going to do well with any pregnancy, delivery, childcare situations either.

If he really wanted a child, he would seek advice from a doctor.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    only on a full moon
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    Options
    Off the top of my head...as far as men are concerned he should be keeping his testicles "cool" as in not sitting in a hot tub etc. Hot balls= no spermies, some actually use this as a natural contraceptive. Vitamin C= good for men, not for women. Thats all I got for now, happy baby making!
  • MTLSFAW
    MTLSFAW Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Actually he won't even have to see the Dr,they will give him a collection cup for his sample and he will just have to drop it off,that's the way they do it where I live anyways
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been trying for 4 years and it can be heart breaking. Have you tried the normal ovulation kits and such, have you been tested? Maybe if you are tested first the will get tested. Testing for men is sooo easy they just have to put there stuff in a cup and present it. No "procedures" involved.

As for natural/ old wives tails, pay attention to cervical mucus, it it never seems to thin out try taking cough meds, they thin mucus membranes so they little guys cam swim better. Also, try laying still after $ex and maybe even put a pillow under your bum.

Like I said i am having trouble so I am not sure if any of this will be helpful but I wish you all the luck in the world. If you need to talk to some one who has been through infertility send me a PM any time.

Best wishes sending baby dust your way.
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    you can get sperm testing kits in some phamacies or online
  • boooz422
    boooz422 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    do insanity work out and then just STOP!! <-- what i did
    last summer my husband and i had been trying for a year and kinda gave up. we started insanity and after the first month i didnt get my period so i finished the videos and then just stopped soi could gain a few lbs with hopes i would get my month cycle back. well i never did! i got pregnant with twins 2 weeks after stopping insanity. my dr says i hyperovulated because my body was so confused from not having a cycle the month before.
  • heatherab78
    Options
    Instead of taking your husband to the doctor, how about you get yourself tested for fertility? It's not always the mans fault. Also, stress plays a great factor. How stressful is your life on a regular basis? And then adding the "omg I can't get pregnant!!" stress will just make your chances plummet. Eating healthy is always recommended. Also, have you ever considered fertility drugs?
  • wxgurl
    wxgurl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes, and it took me 3 years to get him tested...but turned out he was "superman" according to the doctor. Don't sweat it too much. For me, after 8 years of trying, I lost 20 lbs, and we quit trying. I now have a 7 month old. My body is just very sensitive to the hormone balance (it was in the normal range, but was high normal). I will tell you, the stress of "trying" does actually make it harder, but not impossible. If you can get yourself tested, that is a great start, and might get your husband on board too. (That was what finally did it for us). I have come to the conclusion that the more I tried to control the process, the less likely I was to get pregnant, but for some women it works. There are certain foods that are supposed to help. There is a great book called "Fully Fertile" that I highly recommend. It is by 3 women who struggled with conception themselves, and they have a program of yoga, diet, and mental exercises that are supposed to help out. I found the exercises so relaxing, and the diet was great, and the mental exercises also helped me out (I'm a total type A!). Any way you try, just keep thinking positive. Just my thoughts...and good luck!
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I know of a few people who were in that boat who started wearing kilts, and then bam, next thing they knew they had 3 kids. Think of the concept for changing 'tighty-whities' for boxers, and amp it.
  • PiperMommy11
    Options
    My husband and I tried for 3 years before it happened. He got tested... I got tested.. everything looked good. UNTIL, they did the dye test to check my tubes and found I had a birth defect called Septate Uterus. I had surgery to 'open up' my uterus... and did FEMARA fertility drugs for 2-3 months and wah-la... We now have a 7 1/2 month old beautiful girl.

If he's not 'willing' to do whatever it takes to solve the problem... then there's something else behind it. Maybe he doesn't really WANT it?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    can he ejaculate in a cup and you bring it to the doctors?
  • michellegr88
    Options
    Off the top of my head...as far as men are concerned he should be keeping his testicles "cool" as in not sitting in a hot tub etc. Hot balls= no spermies, some actually use this as a natural contraceptive. Vitamin C= good for men, not for women. Thats all I got for now, happy baby making!

Hot balls= no spermies.....haha. :) I am sure this is correct, not medical but there has got to be some truth to it.
  • amy0716
    amy0716 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Please don't wait to get checked. We were told we had a 1% chance and it took us 3.5 years to get pregnant. (1.5 years the second time). You may want to find an app to help track your cycle. This one is great

http://www.amazon.com/GP-Apps-Period-Tracker/dp/B006E6NWTK/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1340938546&sr=1-1&keywords=period+tracker

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • PiperMommy11
    Options
    can he ejaculate in a cup and you bring it to the doctors?

That's actually what our fertility clinic has the guys do. you stop and pick up the 'kit' (a cup and label)... you don't have sex for at least 2, no more than 4 days.... ejaculate in the cup and return it to the office within a certain timeframe... You don't need supply it 'there'... He wouldn't even need to SEE the doctor, really. They call with the results.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    you can find the info you need to record temps and find out when you are specifically ovulating etc...