Help! Alcoholic weekend is approaching!

Options
Moniqua1
Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
Ok, this weekend is planned around alcohol. Friday is my best friend's birthday, saturday into sunday I'm camping, and sunday I promised a friend who is going through a divorce that I would take her out. Since not consuming alcohol is not an option I'd like to go with and I don't want to have to watch my consumption amount, is there anything I can do to maintain my weight without hindering my social drinking? Maybe a stronger beer so I drink it slower? I'm not sure. I'm just tired of gaining 4 or 5lbs every weekend and working do hard to get back to my before-weekend weight! My friends have already said that I'm out of control counting calories and going to the gym. They say it's my number one priority and that hurts! I AM my #1 priority and my health, I don't think there's anything wrong with that......I'm ranting, sorry. Any tips on the drinking would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Why do you have to drink alcohol?

Depends which is more important, drink or losing fat and being healthy?

The choice is yours. If they are your friends they'll understand and support your decision to not drink alcohol.
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    if you really must drink jack daniels only has 55 cals per 25mls (which is what i drink once a night as a treat) then use a diet mixer which adds an extra cal to it
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    if you really must drink jack daniels only has 55 cals per 25mls (which is what i drink once a night as a treat) then use a diet mixer which adds an extra cal to it

Agreed. Jack on the rocks.. yum!
  • stuiterbal
    stuiterbal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat a decent meal before you go drinking, helps keep off the snacks, which are more dangerous for your weightloss than the alcohol is.
    Do not drink beer, but try red wine or even vodka, wine is at least good for some things in your body and you will drink slower. Vodka contains the least calories of all alcoholic drinks, but gives you a really bad hangover.

Hope it helps some...
  • ily_em
    ily_em Posts: 8
    Options
    Vodka and diet mixers are the least calorific.
  • drqbird
    drqbird Posts: 1
    Options
    Well, I think if you're just going out to have social drinks, you can intersperse your alcoholic drinks with diet soft drinks. If you're going out with the explicit intention of getting drunk, then spirits will give you more buzz per calorie. Also choose low cal mixers (eg diet coke with rum, or slimline tonic with gin). If you're a beer drinker, light beer has fewer calories. Strong beers tend to have more calories.

I think the most important thing is to *keep track* of how much you drink, even if it's approximate, and log it in your food diary (even if it's the next day). Avoid alcohol for the rest of the week and perhaps consider increasing your daily exercise just a little bit for that week in order to counterbalance the excess calories. At least by keeping track you know how much you drank and you can be a better judge of what you need to do about it.

I had a very boozy Saturday with friends that I hadn't seen in a long time. I went WAYYY over my daily calorie goal, but instead of thinking "oh my god, I've screwed up my diet" I knew what I had to do to get back on track. And I did it.

Good luck with your weight loss and enjoy your weekend!
  • Moniqua1
    Options
    Then I wish I liked whiskey :( maybe a vodka and light cranberry? Do bars carry light cran? Lmfao!
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    beer is about the worst thing you can drink. Lagers/pilsners are better than ales that said.

You can also move to a shandy with beer mixed with diet lemonade. Obviously not the same alcoholic effect but will give the appearance of drinking if that is more important than actually getting drunk.

Wine is better than beer and you can move onto white wine spritzer with soda water if calories is the more important objective

Or any spirit with a diet mixer.
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    Then I wish I liked whiskey :( maybe a vodka and light cranberry? Do bars carry light cran? Lmfao!

i know vodka has the same cal amount as whiskey
  • brett1117
    brett1117 Posts: 208
    Options
    Why do you have to get "wrecked" every weekend?!?! You can't have a couple drinks?! Drink every other weekend not every weekend..If you;re getting hammered EVERY weekend, you might need a little help
  • Moniqua1
    Options
    I suppose there's no way around it, an extra hour or half hour at the gym this weekend. Thanks guys! I'm definitely a beer drinker when it's social. So sad! I hoped there was a "magic" secret that I never thought of.
  • pinky_pinkster
    pinky_pinkster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You could try a 'healthier' alcoholic drink...okay I know alcohol isn't exactly healthy :) But I like to drink citrus vodka with ice and a slice of lemon topped up with just regular water - it tastes just like lemon water and has hardly any sugar/calories :)
  • Moniqua1
    Options
    Why do you have to get "wrecked" every weekend?!?! You can't have a couple drinks?! Drink every other weekend not every weekend..If you;re getting hammered EVERY weekend, you might need a little help

No one said anything about getting "wrecked". I enjoy heavy beers. They have alot of calories. After 3 it's probably around 500 or 600 calories. My goal calories are only 1260.
  • Moniqua1
    Options
    You could try a 'healthier' alcoholic drink...okay I know alcohol isn't exactly healthy :) But I like to drink citrus vodka with ice and a slice of lemon topped up with just regular water - it tastes just like lemon water and has hardly any sugar/calories :)

I like this idea!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If I want a drink, I have a drink and make sure it fits. I don't keep drinking because of someones birthday or problems.

Take last weekend for example. We all went out to celebrate my birthday and my Nan's birthday which were both earlier that week, I had one pint and some water afterwards. I didn't feel the need to keep drinking because it there were birthdays going on.

I don't see how drinking one after the other is enjoyable. I prefer to stay sober or slightly tipsy and enjoy the night knowing I took control and don't care what others say. Hell, I don't even mention it to my family about only having one pint because I'm worried I will gain weight. You could come up with excuses and say that you have been having trouble sleeping lately after drinking a bit to much. If I had trouble sleeping for a few nights, I slow down on the drinking or stop for a while. I don't drink as often I used to, but just make an excuse. You don't need to tell anyone what you are doing because it's going to make them question you and judge you.
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    try miller 64 or budwiser 55 select if you like beer...other wise vodka and diet soda pop
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Or you just enjoy the weekend, have a few drinks, (count them) and refocus on Monday. A blip is a blip, not worth stressing over.

If you can go for the lower cal options already given, then do if not just avoid *too* many snacks
  • sdemarco121878
    Options
    I put in my alcohol points before even going out, so I know exactly how many I'm allowed to have. And I high ball it, so I'll factor in 6 vodka sodas with fresh lime which is 300 calories or something. Then I know I will have a good buzz, but still not enough to get so drunk I don't care what I drink/eat.

I am with you on the beer lover thing...

This is a totally unhealthy suggestion but, well, 4 beers for dinner and giant low calorie salads all day?
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    This is an easy one.
    Drink lemon water on ice, have just a few, or cancel your whole week-end plans. I actually severed connections to my fat, drinking and eating friends and made new friends who are into health and fitness. I can't be around all that and not blow it; maybe you are different.
    Remember, in life we can have most anything we want but not everything.
    What's most important to you?
    Your choice.
    Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    How about Bud light, they only have around 110 calories per bottle so you could have 5 or 6 of those (per day) over the 3 days which would equate to around 660 calories per day, then just work them of with some additional cardio. At the end of the day if you don't make a habit out of drinking 3 consecutive days every weekend then don't beat yourself up over it, check out my diary if you want to see how a typical Scotsman enjoys their weekend ;-)

Have fun A :)