Daily Sugar Allowance is Discouraging!

Options
Did anyone else have a hard time staying under their daily sugar allowance? I have a huge sweet tooth, so I though for sure I needed to track the amount of sugar there was in my diet. Then I had to count a gram for lettuce... another few grams in asparagus... and 12 grams in a single cup of 1% milk! Don't those commercials tell us to drink three cups of low-fat milk per day? I found all of this discouraging, so I removed the sugar tracker from my food diary. I guess I'll be okay as long as I don't indulge in cookies, cakes, etc. every day. :frown:

Replies

• jumadey
    jumadey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was tracking my sugar this week and was always, always over. However, the majority of my sugars come from fruits (i eat a lot). I've now emoved the tracker but it did make me think about incorporating other healthy snacks like nuts and the type of fruits I'm eating. I'm always going to be over, but at least it's natural sugar i'm eating...
  • mrob81
    mrob81 Posts: 36
    Options
    Yeah it is tough. If I go over, I try to make sure that the majority of my sugar comes from fruits that day. Two pieces of fruit puts me near the edge instantly. Don't let one of my fruits be a banana.
  • jrhoades2421
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm glad I wasn't the only one frustrated by this.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Don't track it. If your sugars are coming from whole foods like you said -- even if they are coming from fruits -- you'll be fine.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar as I found it too disheartening to go over every day just from eating two pieces of fruit.
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar too. If it would only track refined, processed sugar, it would be way better. I don't like to count the sugar from an apple! And sometimes, it would make me NOT eat fruit b/c I didn't want to go over. Not good. I took it off all together.
  • rehan82
    rehan82 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am almost always over my sugar limit right at the breakfast as I try to eat two fruits and a glass of low fat (2%) milk. But all these numbers have one big positive effect that now I stay away from all sugary things like cakes, etc. and all my sugar comes from fruits and other natural food items.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    From another thread, here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/619368-too-much-sugar
    It is extremely easy to go over on sugar, if you're eating the recommended daily allowance of fruits and veggies.

So RDA is 2 fruit servings and 3 vegetable servings for 1,600 calorie a day diet.

Mine is currently set at 1,400, so MFP calculates 28 grams of sugar.

One medium green apple = 19 grams
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries = 7 grams
    1/2 cup cucumber slices = 1 gram
    1 cup fresh spinach = 0 grams
    1/2 cup green bell pepper = 2 grams

That's already 29 grams of sugar, and I haven't added any grains yet.

Without getting into the religious war over what is and is not sugar and what is and is not wrong with processed foods... :bigsmile:

Personally, I think what you outline above is why it's more important to focus on your total carb goals and think of the sugar goal as "added sugar". Unfortunately, "added sugar" is really difficult to ferret out because it's not broken out separately on food labels.

So, the best you can do is look for things like sugar, cane sugar, honey, corn syrup, molasses, etc. in the ingredients list, and limit your intake of those foods (along with things like going for whole grain over white flour).
  • jrhoades2421
    Options
    Well, between Weight Watchers and my daughters allergies to soy and nuts, I'm no stranger to reading labels! Ugh! But you're absolutely right, Jason. Manufacturers put so much crud in our food these days just so they can make more money. Oh I could so get on a soapbox about this, so I'll just stop there! :)