Lift heavy lose weight?

Options

Replies

• LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care how jacked I might end up looking as long as I look great naked. That and less wiggle in my jiggle. Can I get an amen!

amen!
  • lukergm
    lukergm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In my experience, any weight lifting with serious exertion, lifting that raises the heart rate, will burn calories. At the same time, the amount of calories and fat burned most likely depends on the person's metabolism and body type. If the heart increases at least to the anabolic threshold and then recovers, you should burn fat and calories. I usually lift light-to-medium weights and see how may reps I can do above or at my target rep number.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I lift super heavy (I bench 60lb dumbbells, traditional squat 200lbs, etc) and I'm not bulky! You don't have the testostorone in your body to produce "man" muscles.. The huge body builder chicks use hormone therapy and/or steroids....

So LIFT!!

I run 4-5/week for 20-25min
    I lift 4-5/week for 45-75 min

=D
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care how jacked I might end up looking as long as I look great naked. That and less wiggle in my jiggle. Can I get an amen!

amen!

AMEN!!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    if only it were so easy to get jacked arms.

I guarantee you that you won't get jacked arms

I'll go one step further than Steve. I'll give you a money back guarantee...LOL
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I lift 2x a wk with a trainer and my reps are normally 5-8. I go heavy with less reps. You can see my transformation on my profile pic. For me personally, I want the muscles to show when I wear tank tops. Proud of my hard work. :wink:

good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • Curvygirly22
    Curvygirly22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So much controversy on how many reps :ohwell:
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

amen!

AMEN!!

Amen!
  • Sheila_Ann
    Options
    :laugh:
    if only it were so easy to get jacked arms.

I guarantee you that you won't get jacked arms

I'll go one step further than Steve. I'll give you a money back guarantee...LOL

:laugh:
  • jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Lifting does help you Tone up, if you are careful and don't start eating more than you already would you should slim down, however if you mix this with cardio like 45 minutes of elliptical or running four times a week this will help you reduce your fat percentage even more
  • Sheila_Ann
    Options

amen!

AMEN!!

Amen!

Another AMEN sistah!
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'd give the stronglifts 5x5 program. 3 exercises a session with 5 sets of 5, 3 times a week while increasing 5 lbs each new session. There's only a total of 5 types of lifts......it's really helping me.

Your title should say "Lift heavy lose body fat".........that's why you want to strength train especially when your on a deficit......to retain lean muscle mass while shedding body fat.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you are affraid your going to get bulky I would suggest you get your testosterone levels checked. Unless you have testosterone of a man you will not get bulky. Lift heavy and you will lean out. Stick with 12-15 rep range.

Lifting 12-15 reps has been shown to NOT preserve muscle as you lose weight, which is of course why we should lift weight while dieting (well and because it's awesome and fun).
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting has more of a caloric afterburn than cardio. You wont get bulky lifting heavy because you lack the necessary hormones. Think of all the hard work men have to do in order to build a lot of muscle, and they HAVE the necessary hormones! Your muscles will hold water while they repair themselves, so they probably aren't as big as you think. Lift heavy(5-8 reps to near failure) and you will get sleek, defined arms. Some programs have you do 12-15 reps, such as New Rules of Lifting for Women, but its generally to get you to a heavier weight with less reps. Good luck!
  • chelw727
    chelw727 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do most of you heavy lifters use free weights or machines? Can you still get good results lifting heavy using weight machines (i.e. pec fly, seated row, shoulder press, front lat pulldown, chest press)? These are the machines I'm currently using. I've just recently started doing less reps (8-10) using more weights (instead of 15 reps w/ lower weight). I'm excited for better results!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Unless you have unusual amounts of testosterone for a girl and are taking steroids, you're not gonna get "jacked". Please go to my pix and check out my progress pix from ChaLEAN Extreme. The results you see in the pix are from that program, which is based on the concept of "muscle burns fat" and I've been lifting heavy (for me, anyway lol) In my pix there are 2 collages showing before and progress pix. I'm almost done the program and am hardly jacked up but DEFINITELY leaner! Let me know if you want info on the program...
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    So much controversy on how many reps :ohwell:

So true. 15, 10, 8, 5. Maybe the ultimate workout is a one rep ultimate max and then you die.

Whatever works for ya!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    And going along with what the other gals are saying here...ChaLEAN has 2 phases where you live heavy enough to fail by the 10-12th rep and one phase where you fail in 6-8 reps. I had been doing high reps and light weights for so long and was getting nowhere near the results I wanted til I started this program so def heavier weights and lower reps. I've seen the light! lol
  • MrTypical
    MrTypical Posts: 24
    Options
    Muscular arms are sexy. You won't get "jacked" arms unless you do steroids. I lift as heavy as possible (3 sets of 5 reps).

Yes to this. Gettting big muscle is very hard. That's why there is a billion dollar industry pushing chemicals to help men get "jacked".