20s grad student looking for encouragement and advice!

Options
daylily2005
daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
Hi all-
I'm a grad student, 25, and looking to lose about 45 pounds. I've always struggled with my weight (except the last couple years of high school...who knows how I was blessed enough to slim down then). Big part of the reason is there's a long list of foods I don't like! Plus the grad school life has me eating at weird times, grabbing food on the go, and falling prey to more drinking with friends than usual. I'd love to chat with anyone who's going through/been through similar experiences, and learn some tricks! I would love to be at my halfway point by the time classes start back in the fall!

Replies

• harri1990
    harri1990 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm a 21 year old uni student and I completely get what you're talking about. its really difficult to eat at sensible times and eat sensible things.. feel free to add me if you want to chat
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi daylily! I'm also a grad student, just turned 26, and I need to lose about 50 lbs (I'm 9 lbs down since I started here about 2 months ago). Looks like we have a lot in common! Grad school is terrible for gaining weight, especially since you're sitting at a desk most of the time (at least I do), and it's just so easy to eat crappily. Not to mention all the free food! I still struggle with all of this, but I've picked up a few tricks. First is to pack your own lunch/dinner. It's a bit annoying, but totally worth it to help keep track of what you're eating. My boyfriend does most of the cooking, and often makes big batches of chilli or stew, and that makes great lunches for several days. Second, I keep healthy office snacks (if you've got an office) on my shelf and snack on them when I'm feeling munchy. I go for almonds, apples and instant oatmeal packages. It stops me from going to the vending machine all the time. If you have access to a fridge, you can keep frozen dinners (most michelina's ones are around 300 calories and I find them quite filling), carrots and other veggies, yogurt and/or cheese strings around. Thirdly, I still go out for drinks with friends, but I often opt for white wine, which is less calorific than beer, and I try to sip it as slowly as possible. Also helpful is to go for a glass of water between drinks. Anyway, hope those tips work for you... and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi daylily! I feel your pain!

I'm on summer break from Mcgill at the moment, so planning meals is much easier now, BUT when in school, it's so frustrating!

I'd love to have someone on MFP going through the same thing. Feel free to add me! :)

(p.s. I'm 70 pounds down and a few more to go!)
  • clarajeanbean
    clarajeanbean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, me too, me too! I feel so overwhelmed during the year and even when I've managed to lose 20+ lbs in the summer, it's all come right back during the year because of badly timed (and badly chosen) meals and a lack of sleep and exercise. I also managed to get myself a hip and lower back injury last year that keeps popping up on me. I'm starting AGAIN at 220 and would love to make it to about 160.
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I feel you. I lost 40 lbs while a grad student and then gained it all back while working on my dissertation! Now i'm post-PhD and doing it again. Feel free to add!
  • lindbien
    lindbien Posts: 6
    Options
    I know exactly what you're going through!! I lost a bunch of weight in high school, kept it off in college, and gained it, and more, back in grad school. The lifestyle is very hard. When you're out with friends, try drinking a water for every beer or cocktail you have. Helps your alcohol intake and your waistline! As far as meals and things go, the only thing I can recommend is to make meals and healthy snacks the night before to take with you/snack while you study. Nobody wants to make lunch in the morning before they go to class/work. Take lots of fruits and veggies - fruits are great because most of them don't need to be refrigerated. Almonds fill you up, and you only need a handful! In the morning, eat a lot of protein and you'll find yourself satisfied until lunchtime (I love egg whites and peanut butter toast!). I have lots of little tips and tricks about food, so feel free to add me and pick my brain!
  • bright_and_shiny
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as well, and also new to MFP. Check out my profile and add me if you're interested - I'm definitely keen to make more MFP friends! :)
  • curlymess624
    Options
    I am a 22 year old grad student and I would also like to lose the same amount of weight! I am going to a new school and I would like to look great and feel great! You can do it! Get a head start on weight loss now, during the summer, before all the school craziness starts so this way you won't be too stressed with school AND losing weight. Are you doing a formal plan or just using MFP?
  • Browneyedgirl140
    Browneyedgirl140 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm am around your age and went through the same thing with grad school. We also have similar weight loss goals. I agree with a tip from a previous poster that if possible pack your meals and bring them with you to campus. My campus has a food course with Chick-fil-a, Papa John's, etc. If you do have to stop somewhere to grab a bite, you can try looking up your most common stops online and make a note in your phone or planner regarding the most healthy options to get. That way you can try to watch the calories on the go. Feel to free to add me.
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am the same age as you and just graduated college last year. Feel free to add me.
  • haeffel2
    haeffel2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi! I'm still in college, but I stayed slim throughout high school, but battled my weight entering college up until this summer when I'm finally trying to take the reins and control it. I've been up and down in weight and sometimes it's nice just knowing that other people have the same concerns. Feel free to add me and I'd love to help keep you encouraged! (Believe me, I could use it too haha). You've got this:]
  • hayleeannie
    hayleeannie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 22 and also a college student. I've fallen victim to the eating at weird hours habit as well. I also plan to loose about 45-50 lbs. Lets be friends!
  • Aealdridge13
    Aealdridge13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm 24 and recently graduated with my MA. I've always had problems with my weight and recently reached my highest point. I've gained a lot of weight throughout college and grad school and now that I'm out I want to get back on track and lose weight. I'm always tempted to eat the delicious foods that are bad for me and like to go out and socialize with friends (which usually means drinking and eating). I am trying to find easy recipes that are quick and inexpensive and healthy, but I know I may be asking too much haha. Any advice or adds are encouraged :)
  • ThatLori
    ThatLori Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in my 4th year of a doctoral program, and find it hard to maintain some sort of schedule with exercising, getting all my work done, and eating healthy (especially when my schedule changes every semester). There are times when I'm so busy it's hard to find time to eat, let alone make something (and I try to find easy to prepare/freeze meals to throw in the crock pot, or oven, but finding a time to prepare those is a challenge too). I'm particularly concerned not only about the upcoming holidays, but my upcoming internship interviews where I will be traveling/flying to lots of places throughout January, which will likely make it difficult to eat healthy and exercise.

Would love to hear ideas for how everyone else manages/what you've found works for you, and get/give support on this non-overnight lifestyle change. I feel i've tried many things (WW included) and when I start to see some slight progress it halts for long time (despite my continuing with it), and that makes me feel discouraged...hoping to finally find something that works.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    The four things that helped me drop weight through college were free range chicken eggs (breakfast), Fresh & Easy's deli fruit platters (for lunch), Vitamin Water to wean me off of soda, and Fiji water (the flavor is AWESOME compared to most waters) once I could kick Vitamin Water. I did 30 minute workouts when I got home, and lost 30 lbs in a 5-month semester.