Any ideas or ol wives tales about becoming pregnant?

Options

Replies

• knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Get a book about natural family planning. While most people use that for avoiding pregnancy, but it helps for the reverse as well.
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Folic Acid supplements for both of you and don't try every day so his swimmers have time to replenish themselves...every-other day.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Remember in the big lebowski when julienne moore holds her knees up to her chest and lays on her back after sex? Yeah, that works. Hence my son.

OMG YESSSS!! I'm going to do that when we start trying. My bf will love it! :laugh:

That's one of our favorite movies, in fact I am going as Maude as the 'bowling, viking lady" for halloween.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Americanpregnancy.org advertises a book called The Essential Guide to Getting Pregnant. It is 40 pages and under $10. I have not read it, as I am currently pregnant, but noticed it when on the site the other day. It is written by a doctor and apparently "outlines a new approach to getting pregnant using the latest research for a much greater success rate". Good luck!!
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    oh and they do sell kits for testing sperm count at drug stores...not sure how accurate they are but its worth a try. He might just be worried to go to the doctor because for a lot of men, finding out they have a low sperm count is very emasculating. best of luck.
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I purchased one of those ovulating test things... I can't remember the name of it right now but I've heard that thing works. I'm still in the process of losing weight before trying but I would start with one of those, it might help?
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Stand on your head after sex.
    to avoid pregnancy: Do naked jumping jacks right after...
    After telling my 16 year old neighbor that I could hear him in his room with his girlfriend, please tone it down, it's creepy. I was told during the discussion that there was no real reason to "wrap it up" when ^^^ was all you had to do.
    I see a reality show in that kids future.

Ha. No real reason except, one of the bazillion infections/diseases out there! Pregnancy is the least of the worries for kids today! But, then again, in most schools and households none of that is ever discussed. Hopefully your neighbor wises up!
  • jojo888va
    jojo888va Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble getting pregnant and a older couple told me that the wife would hold her legs straight up in the air after having sex. I tried that a couple of times and it worked. Good Luck!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    :blushing: what worked for us was a 9 month deployment and VODKA, for #2 it was a 4 month deployment and RUM.

haha, this is what I'm hoping for us..... only about 5 months to go! :-)

but for the OP - as someone who has been 'trying' for about 2 years - if you're not charting/temping ect. START! If you havent seen your OB-GYN, make an appt.. and then keep talking to hubby about getting tested.

Good luck to you - it's a hard & stressful journey
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It took us 2 years of trying to become pregnant. If you were on birth control before you started trying some of the birth controls can take up to 18 months until you are able to become pregnant after taking them. Also if he wears briefs have him start wearing boxers to let the boys swing more freely. As far as being tested you both have to be on board or it won't work and will just cause friction for both of you. My doctor told me when we were trying not to freak out if at the year marker nothing happened I would give it the summer and try not to stress about it.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Not sure if these apply, but my bestie is trying, so we've researched all this:

No drinking. No tobacco. Oatmeal is supposed to help? Keep the testicles cool (boxers instead of briefs). Take your temperature each morning when you wake and before you get out of bed - chart it and it should spike a degree or so when you are ovulating. Have sex then. Have sex a lot. Try not to think of sex as making a baby, but, as well...sex.

How long have you been trying? How overweight are you? (1 year before it's considered infertility and extra pounds can affect regular ovulation).

What personally worked for me? I bought a convertible :). Not to make light of your situation at all, I know it's very tough....but seriously, just try to relax and let it happen.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    research Basal Body temperature for conception. Using this method one takes thier temp every morning before getting out of bed and tracks it on a chart. Your temp is naturally lower before you ovulate and spikes up about a degree right after you ovulate. My dr suggested this method for us.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I've got one:

"If you stop trying to get pregnant, you'll get pregnant"

Kind of like dating. If you stop looking, you'll find the right one.

I know right...what a bunch of BS.
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Actually he won't even have to see the Dr,they will give him a collection cup for his sample and he will just have to drop it off,that's the way they do it where I live anyways

If they want a more accurate count he will have to go to the doctor's office and do it there, then they test it immediately. Here, it cost money.

Good Luck
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    Not sure if these apply, but my bestie is trying, so we've researched all this:

No drinking. No tobacco. Oatmeal is supposed to help? Keep the testicles cool (boxers instead of briefs). Take your temperature each morning when you wake and before you get out of bed - chart it and it should spike a degree or so when you are ovulating. Have sex then. Have sex a lot. Try not to think of sex as making a baby, but, as well...sex.

How long have you been trying? How overweight are you? (1 year before it's considered infertility and extra pounds can affect regular ovulation).

What personally worked for me? I bought a convertible :). Not to make light of your situation at all, I know it's very tough....but seriously, just try to relax and let it happen.

I am only 30 pounds over weight, and that is due to my stomach disease . And he wears boxers, and sex does seem like a job now. It makes me stressed.
  • lostinureyes17
    lostinureyes17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    FYI- I got this off a medical website about getting pregnant and it talks about the correct way to take your temp. and monitor ovulation. It's kinda long but helpful :smile:

"Goldstein says that, while most women know they must ovulate in order to conceive, many don't realize that waiting for this to happen before having sex causes them to bypass their most fertile time.

"After ovulation, an egg is only viable for about 24 hours -- so if you are waiting until you ovulate to have intercourse, chances are you are going to miss the opportunity to get pregnant that month," says Goldstein.

Since sperm can live in your reproductive tract for up to 72 hours, doctors say having sex beginning at least three days before ovulation dramatically increases your chance of conception.

"I tell my patients to start having sex a full five days before they expect to ovulate -- this way even if they are off a day or two in calculating their ovulation, the bases are still covered. It's better to have sex too early, than too late," says Sharon Winer, MD, an obstetrician at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Because a rise in body temperature also correlates with ovulation, many couples use daily temperature readings to guide them to the right time for conception. However, experts warn that most don't use the information correctly, and also wind up missing their pregnancy opportunity month after month.

"Many couples believe they should have sex when a woman's temperature rises; and throughout the years, many situation comedies and movies have perpetuated that myth," says John F. Randolf, Jr. MD, division director of reproductive endocrinology and infertility at the University of Michigan Health System.

In truth however, Randolf tells WebMD that, once your temperature goes up, it's probably already too late -- and your chances of getting pregnant are slim.

"The correct way to use body temperature to predict ovulation is to keep a daily chart for at least one or two months -- then use that information to determine when your temperature is likely to rise the next month, and start having sex several days prior to that," says Randolf."
  • FadedFreckles
    FadedFreckles Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Urgh!

As an infertile woman let me give you all some free advice: if a friend confides in you that she is unable to get pregnant never, NEVER, ever tell her "relax, it will happen when you stop trying"

I don't care how many friends, sisters, aunts-cousins-dogs this worked for, every time I hear it I want to punch the helpful person in the throat!
    I've got one:

"If you stop trying to get pregnant, you'll get pregnant"

Kind of like dating. If you stop looking, you'll find the right one.

I know right...what a bunch of BS.
  • mali240
    mali240 Posts: 126
    Options
    question: if hes so scared of doctors right now, what will he do when you for ultrasounds/regular chekups for you and later on for baby????

ive heard men should drink warm milk, and the women should avoid papaya and pineapple
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    These tips come from Experience L!fe Magazine- a publication of Lifetime Fitness...the July/August issue had an article titled "Increase Fertility Naturally". I hope this summary is useful to you...

1) Eat a Clean Diet (Sugar, and other foods that create inflammation, can have a negative effect on fertility. Eating a starchy diet or a diet high in trans-fats or highly processed foods also affects ovulation. Article also recommends cutting back on caffeine and alcohol.)

2) Avoid skim and non-fat dairy products (Skimming the fat from milk removes the milk's female hormones which bind to the milkfat, leaving behind only male & sex-neutral hormones. This imbalance may interfere with the very delicate machinery of ovulation. Also- removing the fat from milk increases the ratio of lactose, or milk sugar, which triggers a higher glycemic response. They recommend organic whole milk products- and to limit your daily intake to the equivalent of one 8-oz glass per day.)

3) Build a Healthy Gut (The GI system plays a role in fertility. Eliminate food allergens and boost friendly bacteria through diet and supplements. The immune system is completely interactive with your gut and you have to calm that system down to get pregnant. Some docs recommend getting tested for food intolerances like gluten, dairy and soy so that the body can harness the full power of it's detoxification systems.)

4)Try Yoga (Studies suggest a correlation between women with good exercise habits and healthy fertility.Some physicians recommend that their Type A female patients who exercise strenuously to settle their bodies down with yoga. There is a yoga DVD called Restoring Fertility that demonstrates poses that will activate ovulation and enhance implantation.)

5) Address Stress (Chronic stress can create fertility issues. Doctors recommend taking deliberate measures to understand and eliminate sources of stress. They also encourage meditation, journaling and deep breathing. Anything you can do to reduce stress will send your body a message that it is safe to get pregnant.)

6) Understand your Monthly Cycle (Tracking two daily indicators- basal body temperature and the quality of cervical fluid- can help.)

7) Look Beyond The Numbers (Don't let high FSH numbers discourage you. Many women with high FSH levels get pregnant without medical intervention-usually the problem lies elsewhere.)

8) Try Acupuncture (Acupuncture has been shown to increase the rate of conception)

9) Know Your Supplements (Experts recommend a B-vitamin complex which improves ovulation & fertility, Omega-3 Fatty Acids which controls endometriosis and other hormonal conditions and Coenzyme Q10 which improves egg quality and fertilization rates in older women.)

Please read the whole article and decide if any of the recommendations speak to you- I tried to summarize as best I could! Wishing you all the best...
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    A lot of replies mention natural family planning/taking your basal temp and charting - this is what Taking Charge of Your Fertility lays out for you. It uses your own body's signals to tell you when you're ovulating (it takes a few months to see your own pattern). It's nice to see that so many women have used this method. It's not counting days of your cycle (which won't work for many women because our bodies do not all follow the same exact day cycle for ovulation), it's actually learning the symptoms of your own body to let you know the best time to try getting pregnant (or avoid it!). IF you have a regular cycle and can do this it may help to take away some of that stress you're feeling since you'll know if you're having sex outside the window or not. Then if you try within the window and within a few months aren't pregnant, there's a different issue.