What can I do with my jeans?

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
Since losing a bunch of weight, all of my clothes are falling off of me. That's a good thing, sure, but I'm broke and can't afford to keep buying new clothes!

I need ideas on what i can do with my old jeans...I have at least 10 pair that are too big on me. I know I can just donate them, and I have done that a thousand times before, but most of them are practically brand new, some even still have tags on them (but it's been forever and I have no receipts to return them). Can I bring them to a thrift shop to try to recoup some of my money? Would having them altered be very expensive?

Or is none of that worthwhile and I should just donate them?

Replies

• jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I've seen some people cut them down the sides, cut a chunk out and sew them back together with material in between. That might be an idea for you, then you can always pull the threads out if you lose more weight and do it again!!
    Hope this helps! :bigsmile:
  • MissLinzi
    MissLinzi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I dont know where you live, but here in San Diego there are stores (i.e. Buffalo Exchange) that will give you money for your clothing if it is in great condition, or new with tags! Try looking up "Clothing Exchange" on Yelp.com in your area. That should give you some results for stores in your area...or how about taking them to a seamstress and having them take the jeans in?
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    Some consignment stores will pay you a decent amount, but I would try Ebay especially with Christmas coming up. The ones with the tags on them will probably sell better than the others. I don't know where you live but there are also some higher end consignment shops that will let you trade old for new! We have one here called Plato's Closet that is very reasonable with what they will give you, and the clothes in there are pretty nice if you want to trade. Good Luck!
  • MissLinzi
    MissLinzi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Or sell them on ebay :bigsmile: That's always my last resort!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I agree - try to resell esp. the ones with tags. either at a store, or if they are trying to rip u off, do u have maybe some friends that it will fit and ask them to buy at a lower price ( they will see the tags are still on and how much u paid).

also google DIY stuff online. I've hear of jeans being used to make hand bags and then either given as gifts or sold. My cousin did this and they were actually really cute! also can cut one of them and turn into a skirt? (I'm not saying all 10 of them). not sure how u do that but its kind of like u cut to desired length and then cut open the legs in the inner thigh side and criss cross to form front and back of skirt and sew together. and voila-
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Too bad you didn't live close to me, I'd take them in for you. :tongue: I had to do that with my jeans. It would probably be ridiculously expensive to take them to a seamstress- at least $20/ pair (here anyway). Consignment shop? What about Craigslist or Kijiji? There's always big girls out there looking for good deals on clothes since plus sizes are so expensive.
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I sold some my clothes on Kijiji. It wasn't much money- $5.00 a piece but it added up and allowed me to get a new outfit or two!
    The others I just donated and said good for me.
  • Skinny100
    Options
    Try selling them on craigs list or ebay!
    On a side note - congrats on losing sooo much weight! It must feel so good!
  • toots99
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/articles_3642-tailoring-clothes.html?f=tag:jeans

check that out there are some articles on turning baggy jeans to skinny jeans, etc.

lemme know if they work!

Difficulty: EasyInstructions

Things You'll Need:
    ill fitting jeans
    straight pins
    sewing skill
    thread
    a friend

Step 1First, flip your jeans inside-out & put them on. Measure how skinny you want your jeans & have your friend put the straight pins down the outside seam of both legs.

Step 2Next, you'll have to sew along the lines created with the pins. You can sew it manually first & then try them on so that if they don't fit the way you want them to, you can take it out easier, and then later, you can sew it with the machine so the thread won't come loose.

Step 3Then, once the pants fit you to your liking, go ahead and cut off any extra fabric created by the seam. & there you have it! Your very own home made skinny jeans & you didn't even have to spend a dollar. Saving money & looking cute! Now who doesn't love that? :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Probably already mentioned, but buy a couple of belts. At least it will hold all your pants up until you can afford new clothes :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Wear them to the gym!:bigsmile:
  • berra
    berra Posts: 2
    Options
    If you donate, be sure and get a receipt, that can be used as tax deduction.......at least you can get something for the donation. Good luck!
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/articles_3642-tailoring-clothes.html?f=tag:jeans

check that out there are some articles on turning baggy jeans to skinny jeans, etc.

lemme know if they work!

Difficulty: EasyInstructions

Things You'll Need:
    ill fitting jeans
    straight pins
    sewing skill
    thread
    a friend

Step 1First, flip your jeans inside-out & put them on. Measure how skinny you want your jeans & have your friend put the straight pins down the outside seam of both legs.

Step 2Next, you'll have to sew along the lines created with the pins. You can sew it manually first & then try them on so that if they don't fit the way you want them to, you can take it out easier, and then later, you can sew it with the machine so the thread won't come loose.

Step 3Then, once the pants fit you to your liking, go ahead and cut off any extra fabric created by the seam. & there you have it! Your very own home made skinny jeans & you didn't even have to spend a dollar. Saving money & looking cute! Now who doesn't love that? :)

Thanks for the tips and the web info I know I can put them to use.
  • toots99
    Options
    Wear them to the gym!:bigsmile:

Why I oughta...!
  • toots99
    Options
    Try selling them on craigs list or ebay!
    On a side note - congrats on losing sooo much weight! It must feel so good!

Thank, it feels great! :drinker:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Why couldn't we have our own "My Fitness Pal Closet": :flowerforyou:

I'm sure you aren't the only one having this issue, especially here. Raising my hand :happy:

Just a thought:

Maybe a New forum here where we could trade, sell or donate.

I wonder if that would be allowed by the site owners or would it be a conflict of interest? :ohwell:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Spicy, that's a great idea! Why couldn't we have a My Fitness Pal Closet? I have a pair of jeans that are too big for me. They are brand new. I've only worn them a couple times. Maybe someone else would want them!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Spicy, that's a great idea! Why couldn't we have a My Fitness Pal Closet? I have a pair of jeans that are too big for me. They are brand new. I've only worn them a couple times. Maybe someone else would want them!

I wish we could. :love:

I have a few jeans that are size 10 that I would love to trade for a size 8 :wink:

I don't see anything wrong with 2 consenting people trading "stuff" (DVDs, equipment, etc.) Maybe selling would be a problem...
  • toots99
    Options
    Well I obviously have 10 pair of jeans to trade for a size 10-12. :laugh:

We do have a Buffalo Exchange here, but from what I was reading on yelp they don't give you very much and it can be very time consuming if the store is busy.

Talioring the jeans myself is out of the question, I'm sew my thumb to the jeans. :laugh:

And to pay about $20 to have someone take them in, I'd probably just as soon buy new ones. :laugh:

I don't know anyone bigger than me to give them to...which is both a good and bad thing I guess. :tongue:

So if someone here would like them, (if you can't trade with me) I'll give them to you if you can just cover the costs of shipping and packaging.

I can take pics and post them here if anyone is interested. About two months ago I tried to do this, and the person who promised she'd take them, never went through with it.

If no one wants them, to the donation bin they go! :smile: