New to MFP with a long journey ahead.....

Options
ambarr82
ambarr82 Posts: 27 Member
Day 1 of my long journey.....

I am turning 30 this year and been fighting my weight since grade school. I am a wife and mother of 2 beautiful girls who are becoming teenagers soon. They are influenced extremely by my actions. I see my oldest struggling to be "super-model skinny" and my younger daughter gaining just as I did as a child. I am hoping by taking control of my life style in a health way that they may be encouraged also. I have recently started exercising with my niece daily. My girls join us regularly. I struggle with exercising in front of people but need the support of a partner in crime. I sure could sure some words of wisdom, helpful suggestions or exercise tips.

Replies

• Dorkaleena
    Dorkaleena Posts: 59
    Options
    Oh I feel you on the exercising with witnesses! God. I'm alone 8 hours a day so I exercise with no one around and I STILL feel like an embarrassment! Feel free to friend me if you'd like!
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Please refrain from calling it a Journey! Its not a journey, your not going anywhere, call it a new life, lifestyle change, anything but journey. Journey is an American rock band formed in 1973
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way when i do my weight lifting sessions. I have not weight lifted in over 15 years and I just started it again 3 weeks ago. I feel like a wimp when im at the gym because the weights im doing is low compared to others.
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • boecho
    boecho Posts: 74
    Options
    I'm new here too, but have lost 25 lbs so far! Add me as a friend, and I'll try to help you as much as I can. I have learned a few things since I first started dieting. For instance, I have learned that if I eat 1200 calories 5 days per week, and then eat what I want on the weekends, I will weigh exactly 3 lbs heavier on Monday than I did on Friday, but by Wedn. I will be back to my last friday weight, and then on Friday, I will be 2 lbs lighter than the previous Friday. I think that 5lbs of swing would discourage a lot of people. Hope that little piece of knowledge helps you when you step on the scale and don't see what you thought you would.
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations are in order for your commitment to your health and your family! Bravo!!

Just take it a step at a time. The people on here are so helpful (even when they don't agree with each other) and really supportive! I think you've made an awesome decision by using My Fitness Pal to realize your goals. I love all the things I'm learning about the foods that I eat when I log them.

Welcome!!
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I can't do traditional exercises due to medical issues, but my friend and I do try to walk a path at least 2 times a week. This is something I like doing with my friend as we talk a lot about issues we wouldn't be able to if we were in a gym. I also tend to try and walk up my two flights of stairs at least 5 to 10 minutes the times we don't walk.

Do what you feel comfortable with.

Feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • terpsoccer
    terpsoccer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way when i do my weight lifting sessions. I have not weight lifted in over 15 years and I just started it again 3 weeks ago. I feel like a wimp when im at the gym because the weights im doing is low compared to others.

Everyone is there for the same reason, so there is no reason to be worried about how much you can lift now. if you are using the right weight for the exercise, it will feel really heavy in no time. What's better 1 rep of 180lbs of 11 reps to failure at 100lbs?
  • ambarr82
    ambarr82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do see it as a journey. I hope with the weight loss will come strength, courage and energy to go and do things I've never done.
  • brittajane87
    brittajane87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You have a really good view of why you want to drop the pounds...just keep it in mind, and you can do anything you want! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • back_to_18
    back_to_18 Posts: 28
    Options
    Good for you!

I too have two daughters although mine are only young.

However, I too can see how my own view of eating can affect them and, as such, they are one of the reasons that I'm hoping to loose around 95 pounds!

Add me if you want - I'm more than happy to help others as much as this site is helping me.
  • ssbabr2266
    Options
    Good for YOU! Being a positive role model in your daughter's lives is incentive enough for you to make healthy alternative lifestyle changes. It is VERY important for them to see you be active and choose fruit over a candy bar =). Check-in daily for motivation from all of us who are where you are! It's HARD to stay focused to exercise, eat right, drink water, BLAH BLAH BLAH. You can do it!!!!! and remember, there will be THOSE days. It's ok to have them and its ok to fall of the wagon if you will ;).....just keep pushing through...The REWARD IS GREAT!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It's not an easy road, but it's possible if you are willing to work for it and realize that change is not going to happen overnight. Good luck to you. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of my long journey.....

I am turning 30 this year and been fighting my weight since grade school. I am a wife and mother of 2 beautiful girls who are becoming teenagers soon. They are influenced extremely by my actions. I see my oldest struggling to be "super-model skinny" and my younger daughter gaining just as I did as a child. I am hoping by taking control of my life style in a health way that they may be encouraged also. I have recently started exercising with my niece daily. My girls join us regularly. I struggle with exercising in front of people but need the support of a partner in crime. I sure could sure some words of wisdom, helpful suggestions or exercise tips.

I don't know if you consider yourself to be "religious" or not, but I was reading my Bible this morning and came across a verse I plan to memorize and quote to myself whenever I am having trouble getting motivated to work out.

"Now no chastening (trial or difficulty) for the present (in the moment) seemeth to be joyous, but grievous (isn't pleasant): nevertheless afterward (when you reach the goal) it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness (it's worth all the unpleasantness) unto them which are exercised thereby." ~ Hebrews 12:11

Whether you are "religious" or not, there is still alot of wisdom in this. Remind yourself that, even though it's unpleasant and painful now, when you achieve your goal, it will be worth it.

Please note: The words in parenthesis in the verse I quoted are my interpretation of what the verse is saying. They are not found in the original text.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Courage, my dear! You will find many tools and people here to help you on your journey to a stronger, fitter, healthier life. I have a few suggestions:

Read topic threads and find some people who are interesting, funny, motivating, similar and different from you and friend them.

Set up a weight ticker on your posts (look under tools). It can be SO motivating to see those numbers move.

Make small goal rewards for yourself like a manicure, new top, etc., to help you stay focused.

Join in some of the challenge threads, like the monthly Lose 5 Pounds in (whatever month it is) for motivation and support.

And remember - each day is a clean slate to refocus on this adventure we call life!
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Please refrain from calling it a Journey! Its not a journey, your not going anywhere, call it a new life, lifestyle change, anything but journey. Journey is an American rock band formed in 1973

I think she can call it whatever she wants to call it. Its her story! Her journey! Her life! Her white whale even!! Proud of you lady!!!
  • byebyeluvhandles
    byebyeluvhandles Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am new here also and I refer to this as a journey. Feel free to add me.

Definition of journey: passage or progress from one stage to another: the journey to success.

We are trying to get to from one stage to another in our lives and to succeed in our weight loss.
  • WhiskeyCity
    WhiskeyCity Posts: 711 Member
    Options

THIS ^^

Welcome to MFP, lots of great folks here. Making the first step is always the hardest. Feel free to add me for support.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do see it as a journey. I hope with the weight loss will come strength, courage and energy to go and do things I've never done.

Just "don't stop believing"....hee hee....couldn't resist...and I agree...on a journey- you learn new things about life and yourself. You will learn amazing things that you never thought were possible for you.....Welcome fellow traveler! :happy:
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I don't know if you consider yourself to be "religious" or not, but I was reading my Bible this morning and came across a verse I plan to memorize and quote to myself whenever I am having trouble getting motivated to work out.

"Now no chastening (trial or difficulty) for the present (in the moment) seemeth to be joyous, but grievous (isn't pleasant): nevertheless afterward (when you reach the goal) it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness (it's worth all the unpleasantness) unto them which are exercised thereby." ~ Hebrews 12:11

Whether you are "religious" or not, there is still alot of wisdom in this. Remind yourself that, even though it's unpleasant and painful now, when you achieve your goal, it will be worth it.

Please note: The words in parenthesis in the verse I quoted are my interpretation of what the verse is saying. They are not found in the original text.

LOVE- Going to underline those tonight in my Bible! Thanks for sharing.......