I'm a binge eater... how do I stop?

Options

Replies

• jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about binging....Does anyone DARE bring up purging? Is it a dirty secret? Is anyone out there afraid to talk about it? I just clicked on a random link about binging and not one topic was about purging.
  • bazuukajoe
    bazuukajoe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    One thing I used to do when I felt like binging was go for a walk. Exercise tends to suppress hunger (at least in my case) and you also get time to reflect and talk yourself out of it.
  • lisa86326
    lisa86326 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi everyone. My first post. It's good to have others. I binge because it's my way of "stealing" a little joy. I need to change what gives me joy.
  • lisa86326
    lisa86326 Posts: 20
    Options
    There's some great fiction out there that helps deal with this stuff. I teach Language Arts so I like fiction for young adults. Laurie Halse Anderson's "Winter Girls" is a good place to start. There's one by Sarah Desson where the sister purges too.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This was my problem!

I used to eat healthy for weeks, then eat a piece of cheesecake and POOF, there goes all my work and i'd gain about 20 pounds in a 3 month time span.

What I did was eat in moderation. For example, instead of depriving yourself completely from sweets, eat them once in a while in a small portion. Once every week allow yourself to have a small slice of chocolate cake or chips.
    If that doesn't work for you, you can try to find healthy sweets. A lot of things from organic stores are delicious and healthy. Just make sure you eat small portions and keep track of what you're eating!
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Being mindful REALLY helped me with this. By being mindful, I mean trying to fight the part of your brain that tends to shut itself off when you eat those "trigger" foods - we all know what they are. You've identified one of yours as Doritos. And they *are* addictive, those silly little corn chips coated in non-food flavor dust... whatever it is. ;-)

But here's an idea. The next time you binge, FORCE YOURSELF to be in the moment not just when you're eating, but right after. Write down everything you're feeling 10, and then 20 minutes after you stop eating. The next time you are bored or depressed or feel like eating something you know is bad for you and likely to steer you off course, I want you to read that piece of writing. Most likely you'll see words like: bloated, stuffed, over-full, nauseous, guilty, why did I do that?, not worth it, etc. Reading that before you go off the rails next time might help remind you that 5-10 minutes of fun and joy is not worth the hours of beating yourself up that often follow.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I totally empathize with you. I'm just like that and haven't been able to get over it. It's what keeps me from ever keeping the weight off. Very interested to hear what others say on how to stop.
  • burtonhl
    burtonhl Posts: 57
    Options
    Here are a few things that I have figured out about binge eating,
    1. binge eating makes me feel good for a few minutes and then I feel horrible about myself.
    2. Binge eating gets me further and further away from my goals.
    3. Binge eating usually happens because I did not plan my evening meal and I am "hungry" for crap.
    4. I usually binge because I mistake my sleepiness at night for hunger.
    5. Binge eating is really tough to conquer, I read every book I could get my hands on.
    6. "Think and Grow Thin" was a great book for the emotional standpoint of over eating.
    7. Talk to people when you feel the need to binge.
    8. If you are truly hungry, have a piece of fruit.
    9. You are not a failure because you slipped up, just pick yourself up and keep on going.

All excellent points!

I would add that I like to try and make it difficult for myself to get whatever food I'm craving. I could totally binge on ice cream everyday - so I don't have it in the house. If I want it - I have to go out and buy it. Usually I can talk myself out of it if it's not readily available...but sometimes not, and then I buy I small chocolate sundae, get it out of my system and move on!

It's not the end of the world and there's no need to beat myself up about it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    There's no easy solution as far as I can tell. But you could try ACT therapy (acceptance and commitment therapy) which is essentially a western psychiatric version of eastern mindfulness techniques.

For me, the urge is always still there, but I find that the more care and love I put into my food, the less it surfaces. So I'd actually suggest learning to cook - like proper gourmet cooking. It really helps to feel satisfied with your food.

Identifying your triggers helps. Really analyse where your mind is going during those binges, and what led up to them. Sometimes you can modify your behaviors to avoid the triggers altogether.

There's a good book called "The End of Overeating" by David Kessler, which has some interesting info on how our brains are primed for binges with refined carb and high fat content foods. Reading it helped me to understand the power of the biological drives that were behind some of my behaviors, and knowing that also reduced them.

Finally, self forgiveness is key. You've got to get to that mental place where if you have a binge, you don't beat yourself up about it, you just make a promise to do better with the next meal and then let it go and move on. If you can do that, your long-term weight loss trend will still be downwards, so the binges really won't matter at all. It's only if you turn slip-ups into give-ups that you lose the game.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    ~Don't keep trigger foods in the house
    ~Chew gum
    ~Drink water
    ~Drink tea
    ~Brush your teeth
    ~Go on a walk to get out of the house and away from temptation
  • fiercelittlebird
    fiercelittlebird Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What helps me, is exercising in the morning. By getting my workout out of the way, when I feel like cheating or binging out I think to myself: "Do I really want to completely undo everything I did this morning? what the hell did I bust my *kitten* for anyway?"
    Or, I do things like look at a dress I'd like to wear for my birthday in 2 months, that I wouldn't dare try to wear now, and then realize that that cookie isn't friggin worth it, turning heads in that dress is worth all the hard work!

That usually is enough motivation for me to stay on track.
  • hayleeannie
    hayleeannie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also have this issue. I will eat very healthy and controlled throughout the day but in the evening I get the itch to binge!
    Here are my humble tips:

1. Sugar free hard candy (5 for 40 cals) Sometimes takes the edge off :)
    2. Gum (same deal as the hard candy)
    3. One glass of wine
    4. Distraction (work out, watch a movie, play a game)

Don't get me wrong these activities don't give me the satisfaction of a binge but they prevent the crippling guilt that the binge always brings. Hope This helps! <3
  • courtney2711
    Options
    whose the arthur for the book "Think and Grow Thin"
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My brother is a body builder and he says you need one. I agree with you. You need to have a day where its ok to indulge.
  • sepblondie89
    Options
    I struggle with this too.. infact ive gained 4lbs this week just from binging! :/ it seems when i start eating i cant stop i neither feel hungry or full i just wanna stuff my face! Its very annoying and i feel so guilty at my weight gain but yet even today i was grazing on sweets! Some tips i use that do work unless im on a serious rampage.. green tea or water! Painting my nails, going for a walk, or stick on a dvd in a room with no food to munch on!
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Luckily I don't have this problem...at least for the most part, but there are days where I just want to eat allllll day long and I never feel satisfied. I like your idea of water or green tea..and I have a possible suggestion. If you struggle when your trying to avoid "grazing" as you said...maybe cut up some crunchy veggies (carrots, celery, cucumbers, peppers, etc) and fruits. I find that if I'm in the mood to snack I am more like to make poor choices if I dont have anything ready to just grab...so when i grocery shop, I try to come home and make a relish tray of sorts and it makes snacking a ton easier on me, with better choices made....and the total upside, is if you binge eat fruits and veggies your less like to hate yourself afterwards, and less likely to have the "well i screwed up today, lets binge a few more days and start all over" attitude. Not sure it will work, but just a thought :) good luck!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I can be amazing at eating well for so long. Weeks of healthy balanced eating.

Then one teenie tiny slip up, like a handful of doritos at lunch can send me into a downward spiral.

I don't know how to prevent this from happening. I have always struggled with binge eating and I have yet to find a way to stop. Anyone do this? Or have advice for me?

I have struggled with binge eating too - it falls into two categories for me 1) I binge because my diet is too restrictive 2) There is some emotion that I am uncomfortable with, and I try to comfort myself/block it out with food.

The answer to 1) has been to make sure I am eating enough, frequently enough. A nutritionist recommended I eat every 4 hours while I am awake and to be careful around foods that are too easily swallowed. It takes about 20 mins for the message to get back to your brain that you're full. So, I have foods I like, say macaroni and cheese, but I will add broccoli or something else that requires more chewing, so that I naturally slow down. A handful of Doritos will not impact your weight loss efforts - why not find a way to incorporate the things you like into your meal plans? I myself just had a fluffernutter for breakfast, because I have been craving it. I bought some bread that comes in small slices to help keep the calories down.

The answer to 2) has been more elusive and I continue to work on that. There is a workbook called Food and Feelings that I think is great. http://www.amazon.com/The-Food-Feelings-Workbook-Emotional/dp/0936077204 I also like books by Geneen Roth who writes about emotional eating.

A therapist recommended planning out some activity that I will consciously turn to when I feel distressed - it could be a walk, playing/pounding clay, getting out my Dover coloring books and colored pencils, anything. We make our lives very flat when we use food to solve all our problems.

I also try to learn from a binge - just be curious "Gee, I notice I am not eating mindfully...I wonder why?" Sometimes I can trace back to where I started feeling distressed. Making a mistake is not the end of the world - it really is an opportunity to learn about yourself and what is going on in your head and heart.

:happy:
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was a binge eater as well. I had to change my routine a bit. For example, not go to the discount store on my break at work, where I would normally buy chips and candy to eat while at work. Stop going to the grocery store every day and only go a couple of times a week. If i don't buy it, then I can't binge on it. There's not a whole lot of 'bingeable' foods in the house for me to gravitate to. And after a while I did get used to not binging.

Binging is a behavior, and we all have the ability to change our behavior. After about 3 months of tracking, and being within my calorie goals nearly every one of those days, there can even be cookies in the house and I won't go near them.

I still have the occasional weakness, but I make sure if I do have to 'eat the whole bag' of something, it's baked potato chips or popcorn or something that won't ruin my whole day.

If you do binge, track it, and still try to be within your daily calorie goal for the day. And even if you aren't, tomorrow is a new day. Don't let it derail your whole plan.
  • livelovetravelxx
    Options
    I do this too....some reason once i have a handful of something bad my brain thinks it's okay to keep eating more ¬.¬
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying it will work for you but it works for me:
    I don't go weeks without treats; that's asking for trouble. I have treats throughout the week and if that means a sweet treat everyday so be it. I don't need to eat the whole chocolate bar at 210 calories but three little squares for a fraction of that and it still satisfies. when you make your body and your mind wait for the treat, its gonna want more. Let yourself indulge in a little now so you won't have the desire to binge later. I live by this and I've lost 41 pounds since beginning last May. When I started I allowed myself one cheat meal a week and one cheat day a month. This lasted only one month because I learned very quickly my body didn't like being crammed full of cheat foods anymore. So I decided to eat like I plan to eat once I reach maintenance weight. The only difference is am eating less of it to keep a deficit while I lose the pounds. Once I reach my goal weight I will be able to have a little more food but as long as I workout and continue to make the right choices I should be able to keep it off.

Again, this works for me, but maybe you can try it out and see if it will work for you too...maybe with a little tweaking to fit your lifestyle. Good luck and hands out of the cookie jar. Just kidding.

Edited for so many typos