Crystal Light? Opinions?

After living with my boyfriend for a year I seem to have picked up a bad case of pop addiction (Pepsi). Now that I'm trying to loose weight I've switched from pop to a glass of water mixed with a single crystal light package.
Just curious if Crystal Light is really better for me?

I know a lot of people might think "Just drink the water!" and I do agree, only problem is it's city water and honestly the taste of it turns my stomach, it's like drinking my blood.

So Crystal Light, yay or nay?

Replies

• 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Yay, if it gets you to drink water. Better without, but ok with. You might find over time that you want more plain water...for now, Crystal Light + Water beats Pepsi, hands down.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    I drink Crystal Light occasionally, but then I'm guilty of a few diet sodas every week, too. I recognize they're not "health food," but these occasional indulgences haven't impeded my weight loss one bit (60 pounds over a year.) I also really like the Special K pink lemonade power - 30 calories, 5g protein and 5g fiber each serving!
  • NickyM96
    NickyM96 Posts: 2 Member
    I like using water enhancers like Mio (http://www.kraftbrands.com/mio/)
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    This was a test that I did to answer this question. Take a cap of water and pour just a bit of the crystal light into the cap and see what happens and then ask yourself the same question. I didn't care for that very much. I would try to filter the water as much as you can.
  • Crystal light! I love love love it! I haven't had a coke in over 3 years.
    It is better than soda. Less sugar and no carbonation. But it is also made of aspartame a chemical so it really depends on your personal feelings and issues with that.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    I don't, because of the artificial sweeteners, but to ween yourself off soda, maybe a good idea.
    once in awhile I get an honest tea drink.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    I haven't done crystal light in years, it makes me bloat really bad and causes gut aches for me. So instead if I want flavor in my water, I take an herbal tea bag and toss it into my water. My favorite is mint, but right now I am drinking peach. No caffeine, but a little shot of flavor to overcome the nasty city water taste.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    All the water I drink has some crystal light type thing in it (I actually prefer the target market pantry brand flavors). I use one packet per 32 ounces. It helps me drink between 64-128 ounces a day!)
  • I would avoid crystal light because of all the chemically things (artificial sweeteners). If you want to spice up your water try making a spa water. Chop up fruit/citrus and infuse the water with that. SO tasty.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I don't like Crystal light because of the Aspartame. I put Mio in my water.
    I agree plain water is best, but if I don't make mine taste like something I won't drink any. I use less than the recommended amount though.. just enough to make it not taste like water. lol
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Crystal light makes me thirstier, like it dries my mouth out, but I do like the flavors. But it works for a lot of people and seems to be pretty successful. I'd give it a try. I know I always liked the lemonade or mixed berry flavors :-)
  • wendy3330
    wendy3330 Posts: 35 Member
    Other options are Propel Zero and Lipton Tea & Honey.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 193 Member
    I started with drinking propel, because I hated water. Now I generally find that I prefer regular water. Still do propel maybe once every other week, to hit my sweet tooth though.
  • Sometimes you just want to taste something and water isn't it. When you drink diet, look at the sweetener. If the sweetener is aspartame (not sure if I spelled it correctly) avoid it!!! Aspartame makes your body hold onto fat! I used to drink tons of diet mountain dew and now have it only as a treat. My new diet soda is Diet Cheerwine (cheery taste) which has two pluses for me - number one is on aspartame, and number two is no salt. I try to drink 8 cups of water a day - 64 oz. I gave up diet green tea because of the salt and now take a green tea supplement to avoid the salt. I love Chic-Fil-A's diet lemonade, but you have to be able to deal with the tart flavor.
  • mondesa
    mondesa Posts: 61 Member
    I love water but I need flavor sometimes too so I mix in a crystal light here and there. I was a 12 pack a day soda drinker and when i first decieded to diet i swore all soda off. Then someone advised me diet soda wont hurt me. So traveling for business I drank one or two a day. In three days I gained five pound that was not water weight because it was hard to get back off. CL has never had that effect on me. So I try to drink as much water as I can take then when I am bored I mix a crystal light here and there
  • I drink Mio in all my water except at restaurants where its ice cold- or when I am outside and it's piping HOT
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    This is why I drink bottled water only. Poland springs is my go to. The water here in NC sometimes when you turn the sink on it smells like you brought the swimming pool into the house..nasty..no thanks not drinking it ever.....I just tried the Mio black cherry energy and I liked it a lot.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Doesnt she work at a strip joint?
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    I was going to post this.
    I had a bad Diet coke addiction, that turned into and energy drink one.
    Then I found Crystal Light Energy! My new love. It must be better than having a Monster a day right? I sure feel better about it.
    I would think it would be a lot better than a soda too.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,795 Member
    I like ading flavout to my water but I cut back so 1 little pack that is supposed to go in my water bottle does me for 3 bottles. So a little better but not full on sweet.
  • I drink CL lemonade. Everyday. It keeps me from drinking MT Dew. While it may have things in it that aren't so great for me, it's not soda. And I drink a lot of water because of it. Plain water is just kinda eh for me anymore. I think in part because I've been drinking this for the last year. I like it. :smile:
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    I like to put a little lemon, or lime in my water..take one, slice it up and add some ice...flavors it nicely! No chemicals!
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    After living with my boyfriend for a year I seem to have picked up a bad case of pop addiction (Pepsi). Now that I'm trying to loose weight I've switched from pop to a glass of water mixed with a single crystal light package.
    Just curious if Crystal Light is really better for me?

I know a lot of people might think "Just drink the water!" and I do agree, only problem is it's city water and honestly the taste of it turns my stomach, it's like drinking my blood.

So Crystal Light, yay or nay?

Ok, I love water enhancers, crystal light Mio (fave!!) or anything else but I still use a filter pitcher for my water to get rid of the nasty city water taste... you wont believe how much better your water (with or with out enhancers) will taste!!
  • I pretty much agree with everyone here! Aspartame was originally manufactured as a pesticide, did you know you can dump a packet of artificial sweetener where there are ants (like sugar ants in your home) and it can help get rid of them? So, the downside is that it contains aspartame if you don't want to ingest that. However, I drank crystal light for about a year to get off of drinking soda, and now I drink just plain water and rarely drink anything else! If your water tastes bad, there are also water bottles that contain filters attached right to the spout (Brita, $10 at Walmart), or you could try one of the pitchers that filter (You can usually find them at goodwill for cheap!)
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    I would suggest a really good quality water filter. Here where I live, they put so much chlorine in the water, it's like I am drinking from someone's swimming pool! YUCK!! I have a filter on my tap and it makes all the difference. I could never go back to unfiltered water. They aren't very expensive and are readily available at Walmart or Target.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    With the weather over 100 degrees, I've been trying to up my water intake to stay hydrated when I run outside. The Crystal Light is REALLY helping that!
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    I like using Crystal Light, but I've started to use less of it. Instead of using a whole packet, I use half or less per each bottle of water I drink. I also try to alternate drinking a bottle with CL and one without. Also you can buy CL Pure which is 15 calories per packet and uses real sugar rather than artificial sweetener if you are concerned about that.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    I hear you. For years I drank a 6 pack of diet soda a day and NEVER drank water for the reason you mentioned. I decided to save some money and break the addiction and got a good water filter to take away that awful bleach taste. Brita works pretty well. Crystal light is cheaper and has less artificial sweetner than diet sodas. I drink it a lot 'cause I like all the different flavors too. Good luck.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    First offm I have them all over..so I drink them. Here's the but!

the body will think the flavor water is food and not water...most people don't realize that when they think that they are hungry infact they are thristy...and a glass of water will cure the hunger pains...so I say have a glass...and it the feeling doesn't go away have food...

so moral of the story:
    sure have them, if you are trying to surpress food hunger and not water hunger!
    and drink more water... regardless

Cheers
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    I like it, but there is a Walmart brand that doesn't have any color to it, which I love. (seriously, why is everything else full of dye?)