donating or tossing the "fat clothes"

Options
2»

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Oh I did keep my fattest shirt and my fattest pants (capris actually) so that when I finally do take the "after" pictures, I can wear them and show how much space there is now.

But every other garment, (excluding those few things that I will never wear again but keep for sentimental purposes (like the outfit I married in/graduated college in), has left the building!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I donated all of my clothes. 12+ bags.. I had lots of sizes to clear out!
    My closet is almost clean, now my daughter is handing her clothes to me while she skinnies down.. I'm wearing her old clothes.
    Still works for me as I have 4 more sizes to lose.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    oh i haven't actually gone down a size, yet. but, i'm thinking if i get rid of the bigger size that will force me to get into the smaller size, right?!?!?!?!

i have a closet full of 12s i am aching so to get into!!!! so, i'm thinking i should get rid of all of my 14s and just wear my yoga pants til i get into the 12s.............

good idea, bad idea??? thoughts??
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Oh I did keep my fattest shirt and my fattest pants (capris actually) so that when I finally do take the "after" pictures, I can wear them and show how much space there is now.

But every other garment, (excluding those few things that I will never wear again but keep for sentimental purposes (like the outfit I married in/graduated college in), has left the building!

this is a great idea!!!!
  • hilly215
    hilly215 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is a fabulous idea! Definitely gets rid of the safety net!

As a person who's always struggled with my weight (though I intend to conquer my weight this time), I've had clothes in about 6 different sizes. Recently, I went through and sorted stuff to donate and some stuff to just flat out toss. The first pile to donate was 34 8 gallon bags which were stuffed full and sent to the MS Association of America (www.msaapickup.org). The second donation was only 4 15 gallon bags of clothing and some shoes...though there was other stuff as well.

I have enough to get me through in my current size. When I've reached my goal weight, the stores and my credit card better be prepared! :D

Bye bye safety net!!!
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I plan on keeping my fattest pair of jeans.. as a reminder.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i do donate what i can and toss what isnt good. sweat pants are ok. i work out in them during zumba during the winter months. they are small so no biggie. i only have one pair though. it will help somebody else who might be doing the same thing that cant afford newer clothes so they stay where they are since its too expensive.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I donated all my clothes because I NEVER want to be that size again. That means if my jeans get tight, then I know I have to do something about it.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I plan on keeping my fattest pair of jeans.. as a reminder.

^This! I'm keeping one item of "fat" clothing. The rest I have been donating as I lose weight. Getting ready to go through my closet again this weekend, as a matter of fact.
  • FireballStrike
    FireballStrike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congrats on shrinking out of your clothes! Definitely donate. I'd recommend Umom if there is one in your area.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I give them to my husband to sent to his family in Mexico. His mom and at least one of his sisters are near my size and if I keep it up pretty soon I might be able to clothe the skinner ones too....hahaha.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I recently got rid of mine. I donated them to Goodwill and to a coworker who is losing weight on her weight loss journey. I held on to them for a few months because they were a 'safety net'. But they were taking up the space I needed for my new smaller sized clothing (which I'm having so much fun shopping for!). So, once I reached 'goal weight' I finally made the move.

Let me tell you, it felt like a burden lifted and I know there is no turning back. I MUST maintain my new smaller size because I REFUSE to buy bigger clothing ever again! :wink:
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I took mine to a consignment sale and then used the money I made to buy new, smaller clothes.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Donated to goodwill, sold some at a consignment shop, gave some to a friend.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have already passed on 2 bags of clothing that were too big for me to my sister and mom, my sister has gained alot from cancer treatments. And I just cleaned out my closet last night and have another bag to give over to them. It felt great getting rid of them and the extra space in my closet for new smaller stuff is great too.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I brought them to my mom's...there is a free store that people can exchange or just take clothes when in need!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS have donated (or trashed) my fat clothes. A friend taught me to do that when I originally lost an amount of weight that caused me to have to buy a smaller size for the first time :smile: . That decision has served me well during my weight loss journey.

Whenever a current size starts becoming snug it was/ is always a wake up call to me that I was/ am back on the slippery slope of gaining weight again.

Good topic :flowerforyou: