Anyone gone to an exercise class and couldnt keep up?

Options
Hi I go to an exercise class 2-3 times a week but Im going to a harder one next week with slim gym goers I am not one but need a harder work out..............
What happens if I cant keep up? :sad:

Replies

• ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    just relax and take it a little easy. I've done legs classes to switch up my routines, and even being the only guy in the class there are still exercises where I have to slow it down a few notches, while I watch women fly through them.

Just push yourself as hard as you can everytime, and you'll find the class get's easier and easier. Once you realize this and you can see you're progress you'll only want to go more often, and eventually find ways to make it even harder once you can make it through the class without getting sore.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Well, you do the best you can and try to do even better the next time. :) Conditioning our bodies is all about challenging ourselves and stepping out of your comfort zone. That's how we progress! Good for you for taking on the challenge.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys I do work out 5-6 times a week but need harder classes I am going to go try my best :flowerforyou:
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started doing a spin class about 3 weeks ago and my first day there was no way I go the whole time and with the intensity the others were doing. I just had to do what I could and finish out the hour. The trainer actually had to tell me to get off my bike and get some water...apparently I looked like I was going to die. lol BUT, I finished it and I've gone back every week and every week it's gotten a litte bit easier!

Go challenge yourself...it feels good! :)
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I've been the one who can't keep up, and now I teach. Here is what I've found.

1) Most people don't notice what you are doing because if its a tough class they are focused on what they are doing.

2) The instructor may be able to give options or levels for moves that will allow you to ease in. If he/she doesn't, get with them after class and ask about specific things you struggled with. They are usually more than happy to guide you.

3) Most folks, even the really fit ones started somewhere and are more interested in seeing you succeed than judging your effort, so have fun with it and do your best.

4) If a class doesn't challenge you, you need to bump it up a notch. Everybody should be struggling a bit. That being said, you get out what you put into it. Example I teach spin classes and ride my real bike hundreds of miles a month, but I can still get a killer workout in a beginner spin class as long as I challenge myself.

Good Luck & Enjoy!

BTW when I started spinning, not only could I not last the whole session, I couldn't even do the standing parts. Perserverance/ stubborness whatever, but I loved that it kicked my butt, and I just kept getting better. Now they tease me because I'm a "real" biker now also. I also teach various strngth and cardio type classes including boot camp, so this isn't all about riding, that's just my favorite. :blushing:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's ok to not keep up. Just do the best you can.
    eventually it gets easier.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options

1) Most people don't notice what you are doing because if its a tough class they are focused on what they are doing.

2) The instructor may be able to give options or levels for moves that will allow you to ease in. If he/she doesn't, get with them after class and ask about specific things you struggled with. They are usually more than happy to guide you.

3) Most folks, even the really fit ones started somewhere and are more interested in seeing you succeed than judging your effort, so have fun with it and do your best.

4) If a class doesn't challenge you, you need to bump it up a notch. Everybody should be struggling a bit. That being said, you get out what you put into it. Example I teach spin classes and ride my real bike hundreds of miles a month, but I can still get a killer workout in a beginner spin class as long as I challenge myself.

VERY WELL SAID!!!!!
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The same core group of people go to classes - it's easier for them b/c they know the lingo, routine, and are used to it. Please don't give up. It's sad to see people leave in the middle of a class. Just go at your own pace and after a couple of weeks you'll see it gets easier.
    Of course if it's not your thing- don't kill yourself trying- if you don't have rhythm- stay away from step, lol.
    I love step, kickboxing, weight classes/bootcamp and zumba. But I hate cycling. Do what works for you!
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of class it is but I would just say try your best. If it's an aerobic class where you all move then I'd say at least march in place if you need to take a break - keep moving. And if the whole class has to move in one direction march in those directions with them so you don't throw off the people around you. Your goal in these is to stay in it and not get in the way of anyone so don't just stop and stand and make people move around you (a girl did this in my Zumba class last week - it was her first time so rather than TRY to keep up she seemed to think she could burn calories by standing and pouting at herself in the mirror). If it's more of a stationary class, like something with weights, resistance bands, balance balls, etc. just stop and breathe for a moment and then try to get back in it. Sometimes if I have to stop for a moment when the instructor says, "Eight more!" I think, "Well come on now, I can do the last 8," and I push myself to finish strong. The other people may be more experienced but it's not like if you miss 5 sit-ups that they did, your workout somehow doesn't count. You're doing the work, it's benefiting you, and will catch up soon!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    My wife and I waited until there was a new release of combat so that it would be new to everyone. It didn't make a difference. The instructor asked at the beginning of the class if anyone was new, we put our hands up. It didn't make a difference. We arrived twenty minutes early to pick up some pointers before we started and talk to the instructor. She was teaching the class before, which ran late, so it didn't make a difference.

My wife lasted 2 minutes before she left. I followed.

I think exercise classes are all about fumbling blindly on, with minimal help or instruction and just try to copy as best you can, because let's face it, it doesn't make a difference.
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Good Luck & Enjoy!

All of this!
    BTW when I started spinning, not only could I not last the whole session, I couldn't even do the standing parts. Perserverance/ stubborness whatever, but I loved that it kicked my butt, and I just kept getting better. Now they tease me because I'm a "real" biker now also. I also teach various strngth and cardio type classes including boot camp, so this isn't all about riding, that's just my favorite. :blushing:

I've got the standing down at this point but now I have to get to where I can do the stand/sit intervals. Those are rough for me!

The trainer that does my class said the same...she didn't even finish her first class and now she's teaching.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    hahaha - all the time! I try new ones and I can't keep up, do the moves wrong, or just plain look uncoordinated. It's all good though, you are there for you and not what anyone else expects of you. And you are doing it, not sitting home thinking about it. Have fun!!
  • Xniecex
    Xniecex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The trainer actually had to tell me to get off my bike and get some water...apparently I looked like I was going to die. lol

And probably felt like it too!!! ^^^^ been there, done that ^^^^

Classes are great!! You're in a social situation (kind of) but working out to your best ability!! People are always going to be better than you at something. Just as long as you try.

Personally i am going to try insanity. I am overweight and i know a lot of people discourage it when you are 75+lbs overweight. But as long as i try my best but know my limits i am golden!!!

It's better than sitting on your tush.....anyday!!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The trainer actually had to tell me to get off my bike and get some water...apparently I looked like I was going to die. lol

And probably felt like it too!!! ^^^^ been there, done that ^^^^

Classes are great!! You're in a social situation (kind of) but working out to your best ability!! People are always going to be better than you at something. Just as long as you try.

Personally i am going to try insanity. I am overweight and i know a lot of people discourage it when you are 75+lbs overweight. But as long as i try my best but know my limits i am golden!!!

It's better than sitting on your tush.....anyday!!!

Just be smart and don't overdo the high impact stuff
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Oh I've been there. I still can't keep up for some routines. Just let the instructor know that you are new and they can help with some modifications if a routine is too much for you. Drink plenty of water and use that as a mini break for your body. Good luck and enjoy it! Remember that at one point in time, everyone was new at that class.