baton rouge, louisiana

Options
Bmjnash
Bmjnash Posts: 101 Member
hello I was just wondering if there's anybody out there from baton rouge or living there. It might be in my cards in the future and just wanted to know what you like about it. how is the livin? what are the good areas? is there a lot of the things that you can do? what's your experience like there. is the cost of living high

Replies

• Bmjnash
    Options
    Anyone¿?
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    I had family living there Pre-Katrina and they loved the area and the quick distance to New Orleans. They also loved the Food. SORRY I CANT BE OF MORE HELP!
  • Bmjnash
    Options
    I had family living there Pre-Katrina and they loved the area and the quick distance to New Orleans. They also loved the Food. SORRY I CANT BE OF MORE HELP!

Thank you for something :)
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    Welcome! :)
  • Bmjnash
    Options
    no 1 else out there knows anything about baton rouge?
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I live in North Louisiana...but I have family in South Louisiana, though none it Baton Rouge....they live further south and they love it.....Louisiana isn't like any other state....I love it.....the people, the culture......but......but not only is it ridiculously hot.....the HUMIDITY is killer.....

Plus, it's the capital....so lots of history there....
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My best friend used to live there and I visited a lot! There's a lot of fun things to do and plenty of good places to eat! Friend me if you'd like!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Baton Rouge used to be a wonderful city, but after Katrina, the vermin from New Orleans herded in.
    Get OUT of East Baton Rouge Parish.
    Look at Prairieville - a small town just outside the city.
    That's where people moved to to escape the crime and general decay.
    Good Luck!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I live in Baton Rouge. I used to live in New Orleans, but I moved here when I met my husband a few years ago. Everyone I knew that lived here told me there was nothing to do, but I didn't believe them because it is the state capitol and home to a major university. Turns out they were right. It is so boring (compared to New Orleans and Dallas where I am used to living). You go to work, to the grocery, and home. Maybe a movie. There are things to do, but you have to put some effort into looking. Festivals all over south Louisiana, music in the park, that kind of thing.

Traffic is bad and you MUST have your children in private school here, so expect to pay anywhere from $7,000-$10,000 a year for that (for one child). The schools do give a discount for multiple kids, but it is still a killer, especially if you are not Catholic because there are not as many schools to choose from (Catholic schools accept non-Catholics but they charge you more and your child learns that religion--if you don't mind, it's ok, if not, there are a few other schools). Feel free to message me if you have specific questions. I am super happy with our day care. Personally, we are putting our house on the market very soon and looking to move someplace where our son can go to public school.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I came here via Little Rock/Slidell/New Orleans. I have lived in Baton Rouge since 1989 and love it despite all of it's flaws I love it. If your kids can qualify for the magnet schools they are great especially Baton Rouge High.

There is less to do here than New Orleans but it is getting better. Check out http://www.225batonrouge.com/ and their free magazine to stay up on what is going on.

For great local produce and a monthly crafts market check out Red Stick Farmers Market.
    http://redstickfarmersmarket.org/main/inside.php?page=location
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I live in Baton Rouge.

Our governor is a moron and is cutting the budget everywhere and changing the school system around, so if you have kids there's that. He also just passed a bill to teach creationism and climate denial in school. If your idea of fun is the arts he just cut the budget there too, so there will be less fun stuff to do with that too.

People here also drive like total *kitten* and will cut you off and refuse to let you merge or get in front of them at all costs
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've never lived there but I did break my collarbone there last October on their sweet MTB trail.
  • Bmjnash
    Options
    Thank you all whp replyed. Right now we live In a small town . it is very family oriented. But there is no jobs , family of four on min. Wage is hard. So needless to say we don't do anything...lol. and I can handle bad traffic we use to live outside of washington dc. I think there is bad drivers everywhere.

the move is not a go or anything but its nice to know some information.i was just wondering is there anything good about the area?