P90X Without the Diet

Options
As a college student, it's extremely difficult to have the time or money to prepare all the foods they recommend in the P90X Nutrition Guide. I (am trying to) stay under 1300 calories a day and try to get 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats. Realistically, it's difficult to prepare all lean meats on such a strapped student budget and in a culture that is focused on partying and bad foods!

So my question is this: Has anyone had big successes with P90X without following the diet plan religiously?

**I know results won't be as good without pristine nutrition.

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My friend is doin p90x right now and she said the book said to shoot for 1800 cals a day? She's 5'3 not sure how much she weighs (she doesnt weigh herself) but she's not big.
  • CaraColleen
    CaraColleen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've been pretty confused with the whole calorie intake while on P90X. I was always a firm believer in eating back my exercise calories, but multiple Beachbody coaches on this site have told me to eat 1200! It seems very low to me, but I figure they are the experts?

The P90X official nutrition guide told me to eat 2400 a day!!! So I am unsure how there is such a difference in what people are telling me. Ugh!

**Edited for a typo
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE!!! If you are doing the P90X workouts, you should fuel your body to get the best results. Like it or not, we all know what is healthy. You do not need to follow someones diet exactly...I am a firm believer that it is simply making the correct decision- almost every time ;~) I don't know about you, but I look at a plate with an bacon, egg, and cheese burrito, or another with a hard boiled egg, a few carrot sticks, and in my head I know which one I should grab- It's just doing it! Just make the right choices and you'll be great!!! BTW I am doing Insanity right now- a friend let me copy her DVDs from her computer to mine- so I have no nutrition guide- it hasn't been an issue. When I let myself freely eat, my results are rally brought to a stand-still. When I am lean and clean and Hit my 1800 cal goal with tons of veggies, protein,a few fruits, and minimal carbs..... it's like the work shows ten fold!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I am female, 5'2", age 47. (short)

I have lost almost 60 lbs with P90X. (I have done P90x many many times, heavy weights, low reps, and P90x2 twice)

I do not follow their nutrition guide, it has me eating to many calories for my height, and metabolism, and its lots of stuff I just was not crazy about, don't want to cook, or buy, nor would my family like it.

Instead I eat food, me and my family like, using common sense, moderation etc. We make healthy nutrient dense food choices, but we also eat what we like, and use moderation. We really don't ban any food, we donot eat 100% clean, but limit portions of some things etc. to stay within my calorie ranges, and macro goals.

I use MFP rough eating ranges, but I have had to tweak them alot here and their as my body weight has changed, and as weight loss stalls or slows, as I get closer to my goal..

I personally aim for about .5-1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass - or you can use your goal weight. I do a roughly 40/30/30 plan, but really my main aim is high enough protein, with a decent mix of carbs and fats to feel satisfied, and have enough energy to complete the workouts and improve in strength and reps.

I don't really have alot of hard fast "rules".

If my protein, carbs, or calories get to low, I find I am tired, and unable to complete DVDS, and my weight loss stalls.

I never go below 1200 calories, and I aim for roughly 1400 calories. I also have one free day a week, where I have relaxed eating, and eat what I want or crave, if I am hungry. Keep in mind - I am short, so my calorie level is different from someone taller, and my metabolism at 47 is much different then it was at 22. When I start consistently going to 1600-1700 a day, everyday, I also added on fat. So for my height, the suggested P90X diet guide was to high.

I also personally do use protein shakes or bars as needed to beef up my protein and help me stay in my goal ranges. They are not my only protein source, but one I use along with food options, within my allotted calorie range.

If I find I am not getting results I want in performance, fat loss, muscle gain - I make adjustments as needed to my calories, routines, macros.

So there is no "one perfect" diet fit for everyone.

Find what works for you, foods you like, can eat, can afford, and meet you calorie and macro goals. Do not undercut yourself on calories, but if after 4 weeks things are not changing, don't be afraid to tweak things if needed here and there.

Many people try to do the program, with to low a calorie level and cannot complete it. You do need calories to rebuild the muscle you are tearing down.

And do not use weight loss as your only guide, inches loss is much more important, as is appearance in the mirror, clothing fit, fitness improvements etc. The weight loss will eventually come. With P90X many people do not see a dramatic weight loss at first, it usually shows more at the end. But if they were doing the program right - they DO see inch loss and body composition changes and tightening as well.
  • CaraColleen
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! Congrats on your weight losses as well!

I think I may bump up to 1400 cals and see how I feel there. MFP and P90X nutrition guidelines vary so much that it is confusing to know which route to take. I guess I'll just continue to see how my body feels.

And Tangal, I threw my scale in the back of the closet and am just focusing on the mirror for now :smile:

Any one else have success with P90X and a not-so-perfect diet?
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing it following the diet either honestly, so I know the results may come a little slower. I'm just trying to eating pretty healthy and for me it's about cutting way back on my wine and beer consumption, lol. I haven't been really strict with that for this first phase but I have noticed I've lost a couple of inches here and there. Depending on my 30 day pictures I may tighten up the diet more for phase 2. I've decided to up my calories to 1800 and eat back exercise calories if I'm hungry, if not then I'll try not to go below my BMR which is 1530 ish I believe. Just keep pushing play! :drinker:
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I did p90x and didnt follow the nutrition guide at all, i was eating better, and just watching what i ate, and i ended up loosing 8lbs and 15 inches throughout my entire body- i was also using very light weights, so im sure i would have gotten much better results if i had followed the guide and lifted heavier!

as long as your pushing play every day, and making better food decisions you will do great! hang in there!

Dara
  • CaraColleen
    Options
    Thanks guys! This is so motivating. Can't wait until the results start coming in!
  • iifymlife
    iifymlife Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 2nd week of P90X. I am also a college student and its hard to eat healthy, but I find that getting foods that are healthy at the store in bulk will help me eat them. I will usually have one meal out per week and maybe 3 drinks (vodka, water & lime as its less than 70 empty calories each) but try to take drinking completely out as it slows down your metabolism for a day or two after consuming.

I found that this website has the best explanation of the nutrition plan on the net. I'm 23, 5'8" starting weight at 193.5 and now 182. I've already lost over 6inches off my body and over 11lbs & 2%b.f. (more my scale definitely isn't correct) in just 2 weeks. By following the 50% 30 & 20 split kinda close. But its hard to eat 2400 healthy calories so I usually try to eat over 1800 with over 180g protein.
    They say try to keep your total carbs under 150g, fats under 75g, the problem I have the with sodium per day as I usually go over the 2500g.

He has grocery lists for foods here: I would advise buying in bulk just because it will last longer and it will motivate you to eat at home so that you can count your calories.

http://jakesfitclub.com/jakes-current-grocery-list/

And he also posted sample meals for the 1800/2400/3000 calorie Fat Shredder:

http://jakesfitclub.com/p90x-nutrition/

I would really try to eat over 2000 a day for you, just because your burning on average 600 calories per P90x workout. It is actually detrimental if you don't eat over that because our minimum for life & breathing is over 1800 and then your taking off 350 for daily activities and around 600 for P90x. So thats 950 calories, so technically your body is only getting 1000 calories. Your body thinks that it is starving and it stores all the fat your eat, instead of burning it. So to get the best results is to eat around 2000 calories of healthy foods.

Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck on your journey!

Wow after I wrote all that I read your profile, instead of doing Yoga X, I do hot yoga instead as it burns many more calories. What week are you in?
  • greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You don't need to follow the diet plan religiously just stick to your goal percentage (50%carb 30% protein and 20%fat) and you should have great results, just stick to healthy choices of fruits veggies lean meats and a few nuts for fats. I am also a college student and do P90X it took me a little while to get the nutrition down but once you find what works for you you can just stick with it and it works. Good Luck!
  • mjvasko
    mjvasko Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm about to turn 30 (Friday).

I went through P90X Lean, lost quite a bit - don't remember how much.

Didn't follow the plan.

I'm about 2/3 through P90X classic, and my total weight loss is at 34 lbs. Still not following the diet plan. I stay under my 1700 calories (plus what I work off) and I'm still losing.