Vegetarian Friend

Options
Hello! I'm brand new.

I decided to switch from one particular app to this one, because a couple of my friends are on this website, and while it is generally the same thing, I was looking for a community setting to go along with calorie counting.

Anyway, I'm looking to add some people that are either vegetarian or vegan. Currently I'm a pescatarian, but I would like to go vegan at some point in the near future while still eating healthy and being active.

If there's anyone interested, let me know! Thanks! :)

Replies

• bizarre_starr
    bizarre_starr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm pretty new too. Been on here for about 3 weeks.

I'm currently also pescatarian but have been vegetarian on and off for a number of years during my life. I have also dated and lived with vegans so have done a fair bit of vegan cooking! Also while I was growing up, although we ate meat there were hardly any dairy products or eggs in the house and we always ate a lot of vegetarian and vegan options too.

I was only eating fish and seafood very rarely (just when I had a real craving for it or out of necessity eg. while on holiday as so many countries really don't understand vegetarianism!), but have found myself eating a fair bit of fish while being on a diet. Would actually like to cut it down a bit!

Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for wanting to turn vegan?
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    Nice to meet you! :)

I want to be vegan for a number of reasons: I wan to have less of an impact on the environment, I'm aware of the way animals are treated, and it makes me really sad, and also it just seems uncouth drinking another animal's breast milk, and stuff. Also, I know that animals are fed BAD stuff that I don't want in my body (like extra hormones and stuff)! So those are just my basic reasons.
  • tjs93
    tjs93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for a few weeks/maybe a couple months, and I've been a vegetarian for over a year:) Lately I've become more of a pescatarian but I'm trying to get back into straight up vegetarianism. Good luck with going vegan, I could never do it.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I was for a while and learned a lot of cool tips for great tasting, healthy recipes. I'd be happy to be your friend if you like.
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian just about all of my life! I am not actually vegan, but I don't eat eggs or milk. I do eat things with those ingredients in them though, mainly because it is so hard to find enough foods to eat without those ingredients. My husband is not vegetarian, so we don't cook often because we each eat our own dinner. I eat a lot of Boca burgers, and Morningstar Farm products. Feel free it friend me if you'd like. I got bad about logging this week, but I am planning to get better. I'm pretty new to this site and just need to get in the habit of logging.
  • DonnaSoszyn
    Options
    I am still new to MFP...just two weeks and looking for vegetarian/vegan like minded folks. I haven't eaten animals/fish in 30 years. I tried going RAW...which is great but hard to do...I still eat a large potion of raw though...I like the raw way because it is eco...lots less packaging and organic. I don't drink cow's milk or cheese.

I have found this to be a great site and the extra support from MFP friends makes it fun to log in.

Having an awesome Veggie BBQ tomorrow!

Add me as a friend.

I also have a blog.

http://thesensualvegetable.blogspot.com/
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! There are some vegetarian/vegan groups here on MFP. Feel free to join them and find other members with similar goals. Just go to the community tab and then groups and search on vegetarian.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have been here nearly 2 years, but am vegetarian so thought I would reply!
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Me too!!!!!! Vegetarians are sexxxy...and protein challenged hah (at least I am :sad: )

I was a strict vegan for a year, felt great. I also do not eat eggs or cow's milk-but will eat something if it's a "treat" and has it in it. I also try really hard not to eat cheese...mainly because it does a N U M B E R to my insides.

I've been a vegetarian for 13 years and battling my weight for all those years!!! womp. womp.

But we're all doing something about it being here, right?!

xoxo
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello I am a vegetarian (have been for 15 years now) and in the UK

Feel free to add me :)
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am a pescatarian as well !! :) Used to be veg, but I have a certain weakness for sushi, it does make me very sick for the treatment of some of the animals in the factory farms, not to mention everything that gets pumped into them :sick:

Wanting to stop eating fish as well !!! :smile: It's kind of hard :frown:
  • volatileskin
    volatileskin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hey, welcome, i'm still fairly new here too. practically vegan but i still eat some fish (and very little dairy) ..also hoping to become fully vegan in the future :)
  • moonpieto
    moonpieto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It appears I am becoming a pescaterian. Never heard of that word before.
  • nahzimani
    nahzimani Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello there everyone! Not sure if people are checking this thing any more, but I'm a vegan so feel free to add me! I'm relatively new to the site too (just started in the last month) and I'd love to meet and greet too! I was vegetartian for a number of years and then just 5 months ago or so I went full vegan. I told myself I wasn't going to go 'all crazy all the way' because it seemed daunting...but I did it anyway. :smile: Anyway, I've never felt better!!! It's been fun learning all sorts of new stuff to make - it's actually really opened up my culinary skills and the usage of my spice rack. I bought a dehydrator to experiment with...as well as starting to make my own nut butters, bread, hummus, treats...etc etc etc. Although if you friend me and look at my food diary, it wouldn't seem so. I'm pretty boring with how I eat right now because I'm trying to drop 10-15 lbs while at the same time training for my first half marathon and biking to work every day. I'm really big into all natural, but between work and exercise training the lack of time is causing me to pretty much eat a semi-raw, bland(-ish) diet since I kind of grab and go with the veggies and fruit and such...although I kind of like the flavors and experience eating this way. I'm really getting into fermented foods in a big way too (naturally fermented like kombucha, organic sauerkraut, kimchi...etc that have probiotics through the process). And as a last side comment, an FYI for any of you fussy eaters out there, before going vegan I had a lot of intestinal issues - thinking it was lactose related I moved into veganland - but have still had problems. Dumped gluten from my diet and things are getting better...but any added sugar (not usually the naturally occuring stuff in fruit, etc) also makes me sick. So...it's possible to be vegan, gluten-free, and purging most added sugars. Very doable, even with a busy life. Although I have to say, I'm still testing to find out if there is any sweetener that I can use to kill the craving once and awhile. Haven't found anything yet that doesn't make me want to rip out my insides.....yum, right?

Well now that you all have TMI about my life, nice to meet you! Feel free to add if I'm not too crazy sounding!
  • carolinesmiles
    Options
    Hi! I've been here for about a month and have had great success so far. I'm vegetarian (was vegan for the past year and a half), and would love some new veggie friends! Please feel free to add me. :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian! I don't log any more, though. However I do get on MFP every day! :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    i have been a vegetarian from birth..I have never ever tasted meat or fish...happy to have great like minded friends. please feel free to add me, and my diary is always open.
  • KLD81230
    KLD81230 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I've been a lacto-vegetarian for 20 years (since I was 15), including some shorts stints as vegan, raw, etc.

I've just recently started adding eggs to my diet.
  • cyndimcd
    cyndimcd Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Add me. I've been pescaterian for 25 years. I started on MFP as a calorie counter, but more and more I appreciate the social aspects and how important it is to have accountability and support.
  • bizarre_starr
    bizarre_starr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you! :)

I want to be vegan for a number of reasons: I wan to have less of an impact on the environment, I'm aware of the way animals are treated, and it makes me really sad, and also it just seems uncouth drinking another animal's breast milk, and stuff. Also, I know that animals are fed BAD stuff that I don't want in my body (like extra hormones and stuff)! So those are just my basic reasons.

Nice to meet you too!

I feel exactly the same. Even when I eat fish I'm very fussy about what kind (I don't like to eat cod or haddock as they are rapidly running out) and where it's from/how it is caught. When I eat dairy products I try to have only organic or use vegan alternatives. My mum never had cow's milk in the house when we were kid's for the same reason you don' drink it. Although have to say I really enjoy a bit of it in my tea! I'm also a big fan of cheese so would find it very hard to go vegan but really respect people who are. Good luck with it and I will send you a friend request :-)

P.S. I read your profile and I also suffered with eating disorders as a teenager. I found going on a diet and extremely scary thing to do as I very easily get obsessive about it. But my main goal is just to be happy and healthy. How are you finding it?