P90X and Protein

Options
I am starting P90X on Monday. I am going shopping this weekend for the diet foods. There is a lot of protein on this diet. Can I use Muscle Milk shakes to get me through the days? I don't have that much time to cook anything besides dinner since I have two kids and work full time. I am just wondering since Muscle Milk has a lot of carbs in it too. I am going for the fat shred to start out with... Any suggestions?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    instead of muscle milk, just pick up whey protein and you can add it to milk, water, or whatever you want too. This way you get to control the carb intake.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    instead of muscle milk, just pick up whey protein and you can add it to milk, water, or whatever you want too. This way you get to control the carb intake.

Agreed, muscle milk is a waste of money and a little unhealthy. 5 lbs of whey protein at sams club for about 33 $ or find some online.
    Don't buy anythng from GNC, its always cheaper somewhere else.
  • ag2ut
    ag2ut Posts: 20
    Options
    Skip the Muscle Milk. Optimum Nutrition makes a good whey protein powder (chocolate, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate mint are all delicious). For bars with high protein, low carbs, check out Pure Protein or Life Choice (I think that's what it's called). It's always better (IMO) to eat real foods when you can, so also check out hard boiled eggs and greek yogurt (get the plain and add fruit, nuts, honey, etc. - the flavored kind has more carbs & sugar). Good luck!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Just curious why is Muscle Milk bad?
  • irunnakedtoo
    irunnakedtoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!!! I will look into whey protein. I think I was looking at soy protein before and because of some medication that I am on, I am not supposed to have too much soy, a little is okay though.

The Greek yougurt is a great idea! I love it, I am just trying to no go over the diet allotment of diary so I will have to be careful there.

Thanks again!
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Just curious why is Muscle Milk bad?

Would also like to know this.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk isn't bad, it just isn't cost effective or all that great. If you absolutely cannot buy a blender bottle and a tub of Optimum Extreme Milk Chocolate and take <1min to make your own drink, okay.

8oz Water+1Scoop ON Extreme Milk Chocolate+Blender Bottle=Easy 24g protein hit with like 4g of carbs and 1.5g of fat.

14oz Muscle milk has a list of crap I don't even WANT to read and it gives you 3x as much carbs and like 7x as much fats. (I like fats, but I am not getting it from this mixture, I want it elsewhere.)

I'm not a chocolate guy, or chocolate milk guy, but my god that Extreme Milk Cho is the most convenient, easy, and yummy protein thing I have ever had.

Oh and 1 scoop of Gold Standard Whey from ON is like $0.96 for a 2lb tub, or like $0.75 for the 5lb. Looks like a 12 case of Muscle Milk 14oz is something like $2.50ish? Even at half that, the self mix comes in "whey" ahead.
  • irunnakedtoo
    irunnakedtoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy the powder Muscle Milk and not the liquid so I am not sure what the price difference is there. I was just mostly concerned with the amount of carbs that Muscle Milk has. I drank it while on deployment a lot because that is what was easy to get. Now that I am back Stateside I will have to try this Optimum Extreme. Thanks for the tip!
  • kerridonnally
    kerridonnally Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have P90X unopened if anyone wants to buy it from me. contact me.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The first phase of P90X requires a lot of protein as compared to carbs. If you mix a protein powder with something watch on what the carbs are with your mix. I found a protein powder at Costco called Kaizen which is really good and tasty too. Another good source is cottage cheese.
  • MrNoisy
    MrNoisy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yeah just buy a whey protein and make your own shake. Don't worry so much about isolates, or concentrates, or hydrolization, or what people say is the best brand, etc. Every brand is going to say they're the best, and every person is going to recommend something to you.

As long as the whey has got a good amount of protein per serving (around 25g per scoop), is lowish on cholesterol, and you like the taste/mix, everything else doesn't matter.

I've used Optimum, Dymatize, Syntha 6, Myofusion, Walmart, etc. and I don't notice a difference in results. Taste, sure....

What I do now is just order bulk whey from a distributor here in Canada and skip the middle man companies completely. Taste is great and what matters most to me is the price, which is way lower than what I can find in stores.
  • tawnierose
    tawnierose Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm starting to LOVE plain tuna straight from the can! lol I don't drain ALL the water out so it isn't quite so dry.. but I'm really beginning to love it.. and 30g of protein for 120cals is awesome! The sodium is a bit much - 500mg for my brand per can - but I drink so much water I don't think it really causes any problems anyways.. and I'm usually under 2000mg daily too.