HELP!!!!! There's a monster in my belly!

Options
ANYbody have any suggestions for me! There's a monster that resides in my belly that is voraciously aggressive as soon as I get home from work and on weekends!!!!!! Need some ideas on what i can snack on that is filling, low cal, sweet/salty...lol. I was doing so good today, then came home...and BAM!....ate more calories in pre-dinner snacks than I did in breakfast and lunch combined! What usually helps is I usually have Zumba after work so I am home to change and head back out! But today got home from work early and zumba was cancelled for today so it was a recipe for disaster! Don't think I am having dinner tonight! UGHHHHH!

Replies

• BeantownSooner
    Options
    Drink 24 - 36 ounces of water and refuse to let yourself have a snack until you do. You'll be so full of water that the pang will go away. Works for me every time.
  • MajestyGisMe
    MajestyGisMe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    great idea! thanks! since I drink about 80 -96 ounces a day...you'd think I would of thought of that, lol.
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure I'm eating 5-6 times a day to keep me full all day. Before I did that I would be starving by the time I ate or start grazing. Water is always good for helping to stave off hunger pains and sometimes I'll have some carrots with a tablespoon on peanut butter. The carrots are satisfying with their sweet crunch and very filling without a lot of calories and the peanut butter add some savory taste and protein.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_mojo/1238

Sweet and salty there you go! I buy these at walmart for $5 for a box of 6
  • angrykitty13
    angrykitty13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Have fresh fruit or vegetables (carrot sticks, etc) available. Drink water (as suggested above) and snack on either a piece of fruit or vegetables. Or have a basic salad ready when you get home, and eat that while you make dinner. Good way to meet your fruit or vegetable quota without blowing your calories for the day.

Also try brushing your teeth when you feel the urge to snack. It takes away the urge to eat.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    100 cal bag of popcorn is good for mindless munching.... I get bad munchies when sitting at home!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Defeat the ghrelin gremiin.
    Walnuts, and other nuts. Go for it. Good luck.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    are you a coffee drinker? flavored coffee (not flavored creamer) curbs alot of my cravings and since it's a warm beverage, it makes you feel fuller. to my knowledge, flavored beans do not have any extra calories since highly flavored oils are roasted in.
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    Do some sort of workout anyway, even though your class was cancelled. Go for a walk or jog, jumping jacks, something that will allow you to have more food. Check out my diary for the craziness that I ate today because of the exercises I did.
  • serdesto
    serdesto Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make kale chips when I'm craving something to munch on.... or I have almonds
  • MajestyGisMe
    Options
    thanks for all of the great ideas! I will def be trying some of them!!!!!!
  • MajestyGisMe
    Options
    Do some sort of workout anyway, even though your class was cancelled. Go for a walk or jog, jumping jacks, something that will allow you to have more food. Check out my diary for the craziness that I ate today because of the exercises I did.

That's the thing. I usually have my a.m. workout before going to work (...but held off and did it before lunch at work with a co-worke,. then I had lunch and felt fine) and do an hour of zumba at night. Then that damn monster after I was home for a while, lol. ugh!
  • turps23
    turps23 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try eating some almonds....
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Try eating some almonds....

drooling I just bought some bbq habenero' almonds today
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    Oh man, I bought the new toffee flavored almonds the other day. they are freaking awesome!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    haha - same here.....:bigsmile:
    We fight every day. He once thought he had me beaten, but I fought back, and now I have the upper hand.
    I just eat to goal and eat well. Don't starve yourself or go nuts in deprivation.
    Follow the MFP recommendations.
    It's simple but hard.
    Good Luck!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :drinker: apple slices, and lots of water:drinker: im mean LOTS of water
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Habits are the hardest part of the journey for some people (ME).

So break your habits. Change up your routines.

They say when they take smokers who want to quit and give them a different car that hasn't been smoked in and a new house, they have a much higher success rate with quitting. But the key is they are taking away the familiar.

Popcorn is salty, though! That and a Tootsie roll (23 calories for a mini) can give you that fix. But if you break it, the first few days will be the hardest, and then that craving seems to slip away. I get in sweet/salty ruts and they are hard to break!
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    my trainer gave me an idea. I prep at night so when i come home from work there is a cup of broccoli and 2 tbsp of pre-portioned hummus waiting for me so i snack on it while cooking and chugging water. Broccoli is pretty filling and good for fiber. Then I eat half of a normal dinner portion when it's ready. An hour later I eat the other half. Then if I am still hungry before bed i have a high protein, low fat snack (like scrambled egg whites).

I liked her idea because I feel like i am constantly eating so I don't have a chance to get really hungry. I do the same thing with my lunch and breakfast so I am eating like 7 to 8 times a day.
  • MajestyGisMe
    Options
    You all rock!!! Thanks!!!!!