6 months now and next to no overall loss. :(

Options
Hey there,

As a teacher, I'm always willing to take advice, and I am a lifelong learner. I have been doing boot camp at school twice a week, and would usually go cycling on the third day. I did start bodyrock.tv at home, but it was just too full on and challenging for me.

I have a page of tickers that show my progress this year. Check them out. https://sites.google.com/site/mrsjnavery/fitness

My diet has needed improving, basically because I would work 12 hours a day and be so tired when I got home, I would eat frozen meals I had made. Towards the end of the school term, I would do my marking at Maccas, give my daughter a happy meal, and I would have coffee. She would play, I would mark.

Any suggestions, tips, ideas would be awesome. Meal sizes, times, type, anything. I also have a bad right knee that gets quite bad when I exercise, so much so that I can't sit down without support. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi there, you aren't alone in plateauing and as frustrating as it is it does serve its purpose......I plateaued for 7 months up until the last 2 weeks....I've lost a fair bit of weight but still no where near where I want to be....I've been at this for 20months, working out 6 days a week, weight training, classes, cardio you name it, I've zigzagged my calories, eaten more, eaten less but nothing.....I don't weigh myself as its counterproductive for me and threw the scales out about 12 months ago.....I eat fairly healthy too, I'm not a big junk food eater but I do love wine and cheese...because I wasn't seeing results despite my efforts I would get really down so therefore I would binge eat, not copius amounts but too much for me obviously because I wasn't losing...SO......I decided to hire a trainer, not because I'm not motivated but because I need more accountability, then I decided if I was going to pay this money for a trainer I needed to clean up my diet...BUT I mean really clean it up (you can see my diary) after researching I decided to set myself a challenge and experiment, after all I had noting to lose!! day 34 of 40 and I have dropped a dress size, lost cms according to the tape measure and I'm still dropping...BUT I'm retaining all the muscle I have worked so hard to build! finally I'm motivated again to keep pushing forward, I hate things getting the better of me so that is why I never give up, I know what I'm capable of but its being disciplined enough to see it through, and THAT is the hard part! so I would suggest where you can just keep it simple, its the food and always the food...also I would write down your goals, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly, you have to have a plan, without it we are destined to fail....hang in there, its HARD every day (well for me anyway) we have to keep trying different things until we find what works for us......:o)
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^ So.....What worked for you???? you left that out. you were not eating clean?
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm a teacher too! :) I lost 10lbs...but recently its just stopped...I say recently...about 2-3weeks I know thats not as much as you but I have noticed I'm loosing inches not lbs - you could be gaining muscle mass not fat mass - might be worth getting your body fat professionally calculated? Might give you a confidence boost. TBH If I stay at this weight but keep loosing inches I will be satisfied :)
  • jnthwaite
    jnthwaite Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks Sloanie. I have been freezing meals. I have just bought a crock pot and have made some leek soup. Tonight I also roasted some lamb shanks. I bought 5 loaves of bread and have been slowly making them up in to cut lunches that I am freezing for my daughter and myself. That way, I can get up, grab some frozen sandwiches and go to school. I'm also hoping to have pre-made crock pot dinners where I can take them from the freezer at night, put them in the fridge and pop them in the crockpot in the morning and have dinner when I come home. I yearn to be so organised.

I have just joined a health fund, and they have a free goal setting thing on their web site for members. I have 3 months to lose 3kg - 9kg for my goal. I have also made up a sheet that has recommended daily intakes of foods, which I will be filling out also. I log my weight with MFP, and also some other members on a spreadsheet, plus my little tickers I have on my desktop and web page.

I need to get enough sleep, so I have a strict 10pm bedtime and if the work isn't done by then, it doesn't get done until the next morning when I'm up at 5pm.

Wasveganvicto: I am on my two week holidays and it has been raining like mad since they started. I have tidied my house (which drives me crazy, because I never have time to clean it during school terms.) I have been planning my eating, and I still have marking to do. I haven't had a chance to do any exercise. I went to the water today with my daughter for the first day of sunshine, and just waded in the water with her and dug holes on the beach. It was so nice to be able to get out of the house.

Logging food suffers when I am at school as well. I have so many things to do that even simple things are hard. Thanks for your ideas. I will be trying to take as many on board as possible.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, just eat enough, and keep balanced. I try to eat as much "real" food as possible, but I'll also eat protein bars, and snack foods as well in moderation.

I drink plenty of water, black coffee and tea without anything added. people underestimate how important water is for diet and health

for your knee? SWIMMING and any other aerobic/strength activity you can do in the water will help you tremendously

i weigh myself everyday in the morning. it works to keep me on task whether the number goes up/down as weight fluctuates all the time.

stay positive, and oh yeah, include strength training in your routine, muscle burns fat.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight your total calorie intake and macros are wrong, it's as simple as that.

Go back, calculate them again (yourself don't use the ones MFP gives you), an hit them every day.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring or checking your bodyfat, or just measuring on the scale? Like you, i've had no appreciable change in scale weight in 6 months - however, i've gone from 28% bf to 23%, and dropped a jeans size.
  • jnthwaite
    Options
    Are you measuring or checking your bodyfat, or just measuring on the scale? Like you, i've had no appreciable change in scale weight in 6 months - however, I've gone from 28% bf to 23%, and dropped a jeans size.

I'm just checking on the scales. Sometimes a pair of pant s will fit for a minute and then they won't. It's so frustrating and disheartening sometimes. I'm trying to balance work, with eating correctly, enough and healthily, exercising at all, and trying to develop in to a competent teacher for high school kids. I have one more term at the school I am at, and then who knows? Maybe if I get some times off (my contract not renewed), I will have some time to go to the doctor and get this done properly. I don't even have time to be sick!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    As a fellow teacher, I can honestly say, you have to make the time for yourself. Sometimes we put too much into our jobs. We tend to live the job. Make the time for yourself. That's when I finally started having success. I set time guidelines for work. You want to give EVERYTHING to your students, but I had to learn that priority #1 is MY kids #2 is me and #3 is my marriage. I bit the expense and joined a gym that has child-care. I made a schedule, something we teacher are great at, and I try my best to stick to it. We all have those days when you just need to hit a drive thru. Don't make it too often and don't kill yourself with guilt when you do. Sounds like you are doing a good job pre-planning meals by cooking and freezing. I think for most people, they need a balance of strength training, cardio, and slow consistent loss to keep the weight off and become their healthiest selves. Don't neglect the weights. They may help protect your bones, and they help you lose those pesky inches. Reduce body and not just lbs to be a healthier you. You have a little girl you're living for :)
  • samntha14
    Options
    Are you measuring or checking your bodyfat, or just measuring on the scale? Like you, i've had no appreciable change in scale weight in 6 months - however, I've gone from 28% bf to 23%, and dropped a jeans size.

I'm just checking on the scales. Sometimes a pair of pant s will fit for a minute and then they won't. It's so frustrating and disheartening sometimes. I'm trying to balance work, with eating correctly, enough and healthily, exercising at all, and trying to develop in to a competent teacher for high school kids. I have one more term at the school I am at, and then who knows? Maybe if I get some times off (my contract not renewed), I will have some time to go to the doctor and get this done properly. I don't even have time to be sick!
    Sorry, I was typing and didn't see this. Been there, and ended up where I feel I was meant to be. Best of luck to you.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OP can we have some info from you?
    Maybe you are going about this all wrong?

Weight
    Body Fat% or waist size
    How often do you work out

I can provide some feedback that could help you start losing again.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Exercise is gonna help you tone up and feel great and have more energy and even look better but the weight loss is going to happen in the kitchen. You have to make a conscious effort to stick to the plan. You have to be all in. Set your calories to a deficit, hit up the grocery store, and walk it out. See it through. It's a battle so enlist all the support you can get through friends, family, coworkers, gym buddies, and mfp. Do the exercise that you can do. Focus on calories in first if exercise has been hard. Then focus on calories in and calories out once you have that routine down. You can do it!!!!!!!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, I'm been at this for 6 months, only lost 14 pounds so far, I feel like it should be a lot more by now. People are noticing, my clothes are getting bigger, but I still feel like I'm not doing good enough
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You aren't logging your food, so it's likely that you are eating too much. Logging my food has really made me aware of portion sizes, calories, fat intake, etc.
  • OhSuzzz
    OhSuzzz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As a teacher, a few things I can throw your way that might help that I've found help me. I walk while I grade. I can't for all things, but for some tests, I pace around. It's better than nothing. I also have 2 free periods during the day (when I don't have some other duty to do) so I do laps for 20 min. I put earphones in and just zone out for a few minutes. If I have to work during those, I eat my lunch and do 10 minutes afterwards. Every tiny bit helps, and by the end of the day, I like to leave work around 7000 steps, so I don't have that much more to get in after work.

Also - I sit down on Sunday and enter my food for the week. I typically eat the same things because once I cook something, I make extras to help carry me through. So I have 2-3 staple meals I eat regularly. I enter them all into MFP so that during the week, I don't have to worry about it. I add my extra snacks, and everything I think I might have. At the end of the day, it takes me only a few minutes to tweak what I entered. I can go through and remove the snacks I didn't have, adjust a portion size or make a change. It might help. I personally was watching my calories, but then quickly realized that not all calories are created equal. The last 6 weeks I've shifted to a low carb, slow carb plan, focusing on unprocessed foods when possible, and avoiding white foods (the enriched flour foods). they fill me up longer, and I find myself snacking less (which leaves time for planning and grading! )

Thanks Sloanie. I have been freezing meals. I have just bought a crock pot and have made some leek soup. Tonight I also roasted some lamb shanks. I bought 5 loaves of bread and have been slowly making them up in to cut lunches that I am freezing for my daughter and myself. That way, I can get up, grab some frozen sandwiches and go to school. I'm also hoping to have pre-made crock pot dinners where I can take them from the freezer at night, put them in the fridge and pop them in the crockpot in the morning and have dinner when I come home. I yearn to be so organised.

I have just joined a health fund, and they have a free goal setting thing on their web site for members. I have 3 months to lose 3kg - 9kg for my goal. I have also made up a sheet that has recommended daily intakes of foods, which I will be filling out also. I log my weight with MFP, and also some other members on a spreadsheet, plus my little tickers I have on my desktop and web page.

I need to get enough sleep, so I have a strict 10pm bedtime and if the work isn't done by then, it doesn't get done until the next morning when I'm up at 5pm.

Wasveganvicto: I am on my two week holidays and it has been raining like mad since they started. I have tidied my house (which drives me crazy, because I never have time to clean it during school terms.) I have been planning my eating, and I still have marking to do. I haven't had a chance to do any exercise. I went to the water today with my daughter for the first day of sunshine, and just waded in the water with her and dug holes on the beach. It was so nice to be able to get out of the house.

Logging food suffers when I am at school as well. I have so many things to do that even simple things are hard. Thanks for your ideas. I will be trying to take as many on board as possible.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    If you are not losing weight your total calorie intake and macros are wrong, it's as simple as that.

Go back, calculate them again (yourself don't use the ones MFP gives you), an hit them every day.

This is what found to be true as well. I ended up buying a new scale, one that had a body fat measurement too. I found out that my body only needs 1350 cal a day just to maintain. A body needs a 300 cal/day deficit just to lose one pound. For me that means I either A) should be eating around 1050 cal a day or B) exercise enough during the day so I'm still at a 300 call deficit(MFP doesn't like it when you're below 1200).

Hendrix, where and what do you think they should be? OR have any suggestions? I just recently messed with mine, and messed them up, can't remember what they were. Now I need to recorrect mine too.

Good luck
  • jnthwaite
    Options
    OP can we have some info from you?
    Maybe you are going about this all wrong?

Height: 5'9" or 175cm
    Weight: 89.5 kg or 197.3lbs
    Body Fat% or waist size: Waist: 101cm / 39.7 inches
    How often do you work out: During the school term: Twice a week, 1 hour of boot camp. Cycling for an hour on a tandem thing dragging my three and a half year old: 1 hour.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if I don't consistently log my foods, I eat too much. If you have an Android or iPhone, it's really easy (part of the Android app even allows you to scan barcodes and it pulls up the food; don't know if iPhone has that). If you don't, and can't get on at school, carry a small pocketsize notebook and write down what you eat. It's the accountability as well as the tracking that keeps me on.

It's also helpful to know how much you need to eat to lose weight. As a teacher, you're probably at least moderately active. Without any more research, and knowing my own goals as well as several family members, I would say that 1600-1800 calories is probably going to give you a decent deficit, and you can probably eat a bit more on days you exercise. Start with a goal of 1800 and see where that takes you after a few weeks. But again, you have to be tracking it! :happy: Once you see what is happening with how much you are eating, it's easier to tweak it to reach your goals.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Yes, logging your food and fitness is a key item. your on this site, it's free, so USE it. You may be surprised what you are and are not eating. Set your goals, and you have this huge network of folks to help you :smile:
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Probably eating mroe than you think.