Can a Plateau literally last forever?

Options

Replies

• lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know about working harder, but different workouts might help. I lost 25 lbs 10 years ago but stupidly let life's stresses get to me and slowly put it back on. I had been trying for years to lose it again but would give up after extremely long plateaus (or weight loss that was so slow that it was not measurable), following the exact same plan I did when I originally lost it. Then I started p90x and its slow but it is working - not only that but I'm losing lots of inches and I feel fantastic. I think as we age some of us that have slow metabolisms absolutely have to start doing some kind of weight-lifting to gain muscle and start burning enough calories to lose. I always exercised but always cardio and yoga until 8 1/2 weeks ago when I started p90x. So if you are not up for x, perhaps you could add in some weight-training (not machines - free weights).
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2" and I wouldn't be able to lose weight on 1500 calories even when young with a much faster metabolism unless I was exceptionally active.
    I'm also 5'2" and there is no way I can lose on 1500 unless I burn at least 300-500 exercise calories. If I dont work out, I cannot go over 1200. My goal weight (125lbs) maint calories are UNDER 1200! For those of you who start bashing me for that, I'm also 50 years old so that adds to the problem. Your body doesn't need as many calories as you age.
    I have also plateaued and recently busted through one by changing my walking/jogging to biking after breaking my foot from tripping over my dog while running. lol
    I also bought a HRM and now I know what workouts really get me into fat burning zone. If you HR is too high, you aren't burning fat at an optimum rate, if it's too low, you wont either. If you can afford one, get a Polar F4t or something like that. It's the pink one. It really is a motivator! It shows your HR and tells you if you are in 'zone'.
    Good luck, DO NOT GIVE UP, keep working at this, keep changing things up and you'll find a way to keep getting fit and healthier! <hugs>
  • gymmgirl
    gymmgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I suggest adding weight training if you don't already. Just doing cardio, your body will plateau unless you keep doing more and more and nobody has that much time in a day! By building muscle you change your metabolism. And you won't get "too big" which many women think will happen. We don't have enough testosterone to bulk like a guy. You do want to push yourself a bit by using weights that are heavy enough to cause fatigue with 8-12 reps. When you can do 12 more easily, up the weight a little and drop back to the lower reps. If you already use weights, you may need to change up the routine. Please don't give up! You've worked too hard and deserve to know your awesomeness!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out things like salted butter and potato chips. also, are you getting enough sleep? 7-8 solid unbroken hours a night?
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You're eating a lot of refined sugars and carbs from "white" sources. The body needs carbs, but make sure they're the right ones. Switch high sugar grapes to higher fiber apples or berries. Eat whole grains and knock out the Slim-Fast, it's nothing but a gimmick to help you control your calories.

If you were overweight for a significant amount of time, insulin resistance could be the problem. Your body can't properly metabolize sugars and white carbs as efficiently as it should. The body does amazing things to fix itself if you let it. Quit the white carbs and replace them with complex carbs and increased protein. Also, adding healthy fats like fish or flax oil will help you build muscle, burn fat and is therapeutic for a stunted metabolism.
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think its time to change your diet then if you are serious about losing the weight. You are eating refined foods, and quite a lot of carbs and some of us just cant lose and eat carbs. Try to cut the carbs way down, and see if you get results. I think for your size 1200-1400 calories with exercise should be good as well, especially if your food is coming from lean proteins and veges... Might be worth a try if you want to break the plateau.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Do what most females are afraid to do: lift some heavy *kitten* weights. Every female client I've ever had do this has had their body change for the better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    im sorry but id gain weight on your diet, not only because im 5ft 2 but your eating totally the wrong foods .
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Do what most females are afraid to do: lift some heavy *kitten* weights. Every female client I've ever had do this has had their body change for the better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

i do that carrying shopping up 2 flights of stairs lol
  • moosmumma
    moosmumma Posts: 25
    Options
    I plateaued for 3 months. Basically my body got used to what I was doing. It was way easier to lose weight when I had so much excess but then it stopped dead. Now I eat more calories as my metabolism got used to 1200 calories and slowed down. I push that little bit harder in the gym and have increased the amount of weight training as you burn more calories that way, especially with afterburn in the 24 hours following exercise. I researched a lot of stuff and tried a bit of everything. Now although slow, the weight is coming off again. Just try different things and see which works for you. Everybody is different.
  • Epicmum54
    Epicmum54 Posts: 26
    Options
    I haven't looked at your diary...I don't know where you're at weight-wise, but here's what my doctor told me when she told me I needed to lose weight..."eat healthy, small meals 5 to 6 times a day, exercise regularly and your body will be the weight it's supposed to be".
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    the answer is no. but it sure can seem like it is lasting forever when you hit a plateau. if you are actually overweight and your plateau is 8 weeks running, then it is time for changing something. assuming no thyroid or other medical issue, the real key is to be as accurate as possible on the calories in and calories out.

1. research plateau busting from multiple sources (avoid any adice that is trying to sell you something)

2. get your body fat tested by a professional. actual weight is not as important as your true body fat %.

3. try a different approach like eat stop eat or leangains to see if that will help. it surely will not hurt you. it will always be about calories in and calories out but intermittent fasting seemed to help me bust a plateau.
    ^^^^^^
    THIS - And wow Dave, great post.
  • idziak04
    idziak04 Posts: 69
    Options
    I have been stuck on a plateau for the whole month of June. Well, actually I have been gaining and losing the same stinking two pounds. I am considering going low-carb to see if that helps, but I know I cannot sustain that lifestyle forever. I am at a loss as what to do!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I really get offended when people say my plateau of almost a year is because I'm not working hard enough or am eating at "maintenance'. That's bull. And they have no clue how intense my effort is.

I work out 6 days a week, 2x zumba, 1x kickboxing, 2x SL 5x5, 1x isolation lifts, 1 rest day. I work two jobs and wear a Fitbit, so I know how frigging active I am. I weigh, measure everything, obsessively. Last year I ran 3x a week and lifted 2x a week. Changing programs did not break the plateau. I did lose some inches when I started SL zumba/kickboxing this year, but nothing in 3 months now. And the scale is unchanged.

I've eaten at 1200 + exercise calories, I've eaten at 1500 no exercise calories, 1700 no exercise calories, 1400 + exercise calories, low carb/high protein, low sugar. I've eaten at maintenance for 3 months (maintenance is 1950 calories + exercise). I try everything for at least 2 months before changing again. I've tried not eating breakfast, I've tried snacking, and not snacking. I don't eat fast food or sodas or processed white stuff, ever. I eat mostly organic and tons of veggies and fruit. RIght now, I'm trying 1000 calories plus exercise calories which is why my @$#(&amp; diary is locked, so I don't get yelled at by the higher calorie people. I've been eating that for a month and still, nothing.

Oh and I've already had my metabolism tested. Last year. RMR was 1800...:noway:

Next step, the doctor.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible to be eating at maintenance and not think you are because you've underestimated your intake and overestimated your output. And it might not be your fault. You might not have the statistical average BMR, your HRM might tell you you're burning 1000 calories an hour when you're really burning 500, your food database might be telling you that restaurant salad you have for lunch every day is 500 calories when it's 900. It's pretty easy to think you're burning 2000 and eating 1500 when you're burning 1800 and eating 1800.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    My best guess after looking at your diary is that you are just plain eating too much. Even on days when you eat relatively fewer calories (1200-1400), it looks like you might be underestimating, perhaps by a large margin, the amounts you're eating of the high calorie foods (salad dressings, dips, butter, coleslaw, pasta/couscous/rice, potato chips, etc).

On the flip side of that coin, you may be overestimating your exercise calories.

Not to mention the vast majority of your intake is junk (Slim Fast and Silk drinks included), but my first point would have a much greater effect on your weight. The junk part is more about long lasting health.

Do you own a kitchen scale?
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Based upon what I saw in your dairy, my suggestion is to cut your carbs, at least in a half. I always follow the same rule

calorie/carbs/protein/fiber. If it has low cals, good protein or good fiber, I will eat a higher carb count foods.

Of course occasionally I allow myself binges, but almost all the time if I have a higher carb count it came from

apples, or Greek yogurt, or wholewheat bread.

Remember carbs=sugar=fat, so choose it carefully
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    OK I plateaued since APRIL 14, losing/gaining same 1 lb with travel, TOM, water gain whatever. This is ridiculous. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1500, I took 2 weeks "off" at the beginning of this month from logging and zumba/kickboxing classes, I've "zig zagged" my calories, and still here it is now going on 3 months and nothing. I'm 14 lbs away from my "first goal" and after that I was going to set a second goal of 15-20 more lbs. as my first goal would have put me at 150 lbs and I'm 5'2 and right now weigh 164 which is still overweight. I've not lost any inches in 6 weeks either. I work out 5-6 days a week.

This is always what has happened to me in the past, I'd lose 20-25 lbs and then stall FOREVER, and usually give up and gain it all back and then another 5 lbs. Years ago I did WW and it took me 8 months to lose 17 lbs and I followed the plan, watching people around me lose that amount in a month or two. Is is possible for the body to plateau or adjust to a weight that is still overweight and you can NEVER lose it all except for starvation/being anorexic or having surgery?

Rather than the confusion and overestimates of eating back exercise calories, have you tried just working out your TDEE and taking a defict from there?

Work out your TDEE here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ - this calculator cgives you the TDEE at your goal weight, but if you put in your current weight it will give you your estimated current maintenance.

Eat at estimated maintenance for a week, and then start again by deducting a 500 defict.

Also, if you use the seach button and type in plateau, you'll find many threads full of advice,

Good Luck.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have never had a plateau, or seen anyone I know on a plateau, that didn't break from one simple trick. When I get on a plateau, I take one day, just one, to eat anything I want. Junk food, high cal, high fat, doesn't matter. The next day go back to your normal routine. The little break tricks your body into burning calories again. It may sound strange but I've never seen it fail.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    Bob Harper has a workout dvd called Total Body Transformation that Is supposed to be specifically for breaking plateaus. It is pretty intense so I would think it would certainly help.