Can a Plateau literally last forever?

Options

Replies

• msue482
    msue482 Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree with everyone that you should probably lower your carb intake. Focus more on lean proteins and vegetables, good sources of carbs such as sweet potatoes. Also, try to incorporate lifting weights. I swear I have no idea how some people do just pure cardio as their regimen. Of course, that's just me being a hater lol. Good luck!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would echo what a previous poster said: figure your TDEE and don't worry about eating back your exercise cals. Eat at TDEE for at least 2 weeks, and adjust from there. Good luck!
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories from 1300 to 1600 and I'm seeing results after just gaining and losing the same three pounds since november.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    looking quickly at your diary, I'd say you make a lot of decent choices for a maintenance lifestyle, but you may be a bit low on FIBER. i would up the whole foods in your diet for a little while, remembering that it's not forever.

if you have something like snap peas & hummus instead of chips with a salad instead of a sandwich, even just a couple times a week, it should make small differences (that add up to big differences). if you can do it all week, go for it! even if you go one week on / one week off.

just play with it a bit, and keep your body guessing!
  • Krystasfocused24
    Options
    Just a suggestion... Try this!
    First thing upon wakening.. Drink a glass of water with 1 lemon squeezed into it.
    Breakfast: eggs, yogurt,cereal, protein shake(prefer after exercise),etc....
    Snack of choice; keep it low calorie
    Lunch, soup, sandwich, baked potato, stir fry,chips(not too many), salad, etc...
    Snack: apple, banana, granola bar,e ct..
    Dinner: Fish, chicken, lots of veggies, sweet potato,salad,etc...
    LOTs of water!!!!
    EXERCISE
    You may just need to jump start your metabolism
    Everyone's body is different and we lose weight differently so just keep going! you WILL attain your goal!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
  • quinjacobs
    quinjacobs Posts: 10
    Options
    I am going to be blunt here, and state the obvious. Did you really think you were going to lose weight eating bigmacs, fries, chips, chip dip, chick fil a, and the like? You have to eat healthy foods, or you're working out for nothing. Sure, there are some people here that can eat whatever they want, good for them. But you won't find a doctor or nutritionalist on the planet who agrees you can eat whatever you want. And you will find a lot more success stories from people who eat healthy and work out.

Lean meat, fruits, and veggies. It's not rocket science.
  • galilanee26
    galilanee26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try tracking tracking sodium, sugar, and fiber on your diary then increase your fiber intake and cut back on sodium and refined sugars. Cut back (or eliminate) potatoes/potato products for a few weeks to see if that gets your weight moving again. I have endocrine issues and have found that a baked potato stalls my loss and swells me up. Switch out the Slimfast shakes for a high quality protein shake and/or smoothies made with greek yogurt (you can't taste it, honest!!). Good luck, you can do this!! :)
  • vivianleemit
    vivianleemit Posts: 112
    Options
    I had a plateau that lasted 9 months, so I feel you!

What got me out of it? Realizing that 2000 calories of junk food is not the same as 2000 calories of nutrient-rich fruits and veggies. Yeah, it's 2000 calories nonetheless, but the healthier food helps your body revitalize, reenergize, and feel a lot better (so you don't binge eat, etc.)
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My best guess after looking at your diary is that you are just plain eating too much. Even on days when you eat relatively fewer calories (1200-1400), it looks like you might be underestimating, perhaps by a large margin, the amounts you're eating of the high calorie foods (salad dressings, dips, butter, coleslaw, pasta/couscous/rice, potato chips, etc).

On the flip side of that coin, you may be overestimating your exercise calories.

Not to mention the vast majority of your intake is junk (Slim Fast and Silk drinks included), but my first point would have a much greater effect on your weight. The junk part is more about long lasting health.

Do you own a kitchen scale?

Yes I do own a kitchen scale and I use it as well as measuring cups. I only add those things sometimes so I can get enough calories. I had people before tell me to add little things here and there. The dressing I use is homemade, and I know real butter is a hell of a lot better than margarine. I thought the Silk protein drinks were supposed to be good for you thats why I bought it. ??! I use slim fast because it's convenient to have on the way to work really no other reason. I don't think I can be overestimating my excersise calories as it's Zumba and "supposedly" you burn 900-1000 but I don't put it as that. I do Zumba 500-600 and kickboxing a little higher because I know its gonna burn more. IDK. I follow someones advice and it's wrong then another person tells me no that's wrong.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I just have to say after she opened her diary up it was clear I was right. Most if the time we get "stuck" is because we are in denial about our eating and/or workout habits. Hate on me if you want, but it's truth. Medical *kitten* can happen, but for the majority of us it's just not the case.

And plz remember I am speaking from experience, from a place of understanding, I'm not just talking out my *kitten*. I've been there. Until you get real with yourself change won't happen, period.
  • meechi53
    Options
    I have never had a plateau, or seen anyone I know on a plateau, that didn't break from one simple trick. When I get on a plateau, I take one day, just one, to eat anything I want. Junk food, high cal, high fat, doesn't matter. The next day go back to your normal routine. The little break tricks your body into burning calories again. It may sound strange but I've never seen it fail.

I've done this, tried it after a 1 month plateau, nothing, Tried it 2 weeks later, nothing. took 2 weeks "off" still nothing.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel I've hit a plateau, it always leads back to diet. Always, always, always.

There have been many times when I thought I was eating pretty good but upon reexamination of my food diary proved me wrong.

Unless diet is mostly on-point, progress will stall. At least that's what I've learned.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    A plateau that lasts "forever" is called maintenance. And it wasn't since you say you gained the weight back.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did to break my plateau. I hope it works for you:

You could try seriously increasing your fruit and veggie intake, replacing all processed foods with plant-based foods. Shoot for one pound a day of raw veggies and one pound of cooked veggies, and three servings of fresh fruit. Eat beans and nuts for protein. In the same week, don't work out vigorously, just walk a lot (like a few miles a day) or go for an easy run every day.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    My best guess after looking at your diary is that you are just plain eating too much. Even on days when you eat relatively fewer calories (1200-1400), it looks like you might be underestimating, perhaps by a large margin, the amounts you're eating of the high calorie foods (salad dressings, dips, butter, coleslaw, pasta/couscous/rice, potato chips, etc).

On the flip side of that coin, you may be overestimating your exercise calories.

Not to mention the vast majority of your intake is junk (Slim Fast and Silk drinks included), but my first point would have a much greater effect on your weight. The junk part is more about long lasting health.

Do you own a kitchen scale?

Yes I do own a kitchen scale and I use it as well as measuring cups. I only add those things sometimes so I can get enough calories. I had people before tell me to add little things here and there. The dressing I use is homemade, and I know real butter is a hell of a lot better than margarine. I thought the Silk protein drinks were supposed to be good for you thats why I bought it. ??! I use slim fast because it's convenient to have on the way to work really no other reason. I don't think I can be overestimating my excersise calories as it's Zumba and "supposedly" you burn 900-1000 but I don't put it as that. I do Zumba 500-600 and kickboxing a little higher because I know its gonna burn more. IDK. I follow someones advice and it's wrong then another person tells me no that's wrong.

Well, only you know what you're doing then. I agree that butter is the way to go, but Silk and Slim Fast are highly processed drinks. Are you willing to try changing your entire diet to a healthier regime?
  • meechi53
    Options
    I just have to say after she opened her diary up it was clear I was right. Most if the time we get "stuck" is because we are in denial about our eating and/or workout habits. Hate on me if you want, but it's truth. Medical *kitten* can happen, but for the majority of us it's just not the case.

And plz remember I am speaking from experience, from a place of understanding, I'm not just talking out my *kitten*. I've been there. Until you get real with yourself change won't happen, period.

Well I'll tell you I work my *kitten* off at Zumba, and kickboxing. if you've never done it you wouldn't know that i'ts not just dancing around. We do lots of squats, lunges, resistance training, they change up our workouts because the instructor says you should not get used to just one routine. I do arm work till my body is screaming and I keep going, so I don't think I'm in denial about my working out. In fact, I had been told I might be logging too little calories burned for Zumba but Im not going to change it to higher.

Its funny though, through 1 week of my diary people seem to think because I ate rice one day I must be eating piles of it constantly. Same with Grapes. I bought a bunch because they were on sale so I had to eat them. I only eat whole wheat bread and have been doing that for years...so don't know where the bread thing comes from.... Maybe I'll try to just have carbs at 1 meal and a snack instead of all 3...

But I also failed to mention that I'm in the same clothes now size wise as I was when I weighed 10 lbs less..
  • caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    OMG I am so glad I am not alone! I have been STUCK for weeks/months as well.......IT SUCKS!! I have never worked so hard to lose so little in my life! COMPLETELY FRUSTRATED!!! I have been to the Dr.....everything came back normal other than my TSH level which is 0.01. I have tried jillian micheals 30 day shred/ a personal trainer for a month/ am doing P90X, started running a bit on my walks...HGH suplement, relacore.....even called that radio advertisment that says are you a woman over 40 who cant lose weight?? Well guess what....a month and a half of Ambrin has not done anything either! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:sad: What am i gonna do?? I am all about being as helthy as i can be, but everyone needs rewards......
    I feel your pain!!!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Will you marry me?