Would you feel guilty???

Options
Last night, after playing a round of golf with my son (we walked and carried bags, do not use a cart) he wanted to go to a well known fried chicken restaurant (Ezell's which is famous as Oprah used to have it flown to Chicago). I didn't want to go at first, but figured I would just get a piece of breast and take the skin off, no sides. After getting there, I lost all my good intentions, and got a two piece dinner (1 breast and 1 thigh. (dinners come with 2 sides and 1 roll, so I got potatoes and gravy and coleslaw). Rather than taking the skin off, I ate the whole piece of breast and thigh, plus sides and logged it as around 1400 calories and 50+ grams of fat..

I have been on MFP for about 1 1/2 months, and meeting all of my goals on a consistent basis. I am trying loose about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per week, as well as build strength, and have been meeting all of those objectives. I am in the 7th week of Insanity so I had a good workout yesterday morning and had my typical breakfast (whey protein drink, scrambled egg whites, and whole grain piece of bread), and a good lunch (various sashimi with a small salad and 1/2 cup white rice).

I have not missed an Insanity workout, and have been very disciplined with eating clean. However, because I feel like I cheated so bad at dinner, I feel like I really failed even though technically with the Insanity and golf calories burned, my net calories were not exceeded.

My question is -- have others here had days like this where you feel super guilty and a total sense of failure. Realistically I know its not a huge setback and probably won't affect my overall goal much, but I am curious how do most deal with these type of days?

Replies

• Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    It's just a day.Well one meal. It means diddly squat. Do you cut of your arm when you break a nail? When my good intentions fly out the window I shrug and fit it i with my plan. But I make sure I enjoy every bite or else it's not worth it. I refuse to feel guilty for eating food,.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't feel guilty at all. Then again, I regularly will have days here and there where I don't track food and just eat what I want, for a variety of reasons, most of which are for mental health.
  • glogirl48
    glogirl48 Posts: 1
    Options
    Well, if you are really seeking perfection, perhaps a visit to the Man upstairs would be in order. But staying here on earth is better, and it was one meal. Get back on the wagon, mentally and forgive yourself for one discretion. If you dwell on the negative, it will overcome you.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This is all about moderation. Once in a 10 week period is not going to derail your plans. Playing golf and lugging bags around 18 holes probably burned a good portion of those calories before you consumed it. Don't sweat it. Deprivation diets do not work. I would hate to think of a lifetime without fried chicken. I just now I can't do it on a regular basis and I have to plan.
  • kdka54
    kdka54 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback. Sometimes I think the hardest part for me is finding moderation. I have always been very OCD like that. Its great to have MFP to bring me back to reality. Cheers.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I've had many of those days - interestingly they often occur when I golf! I allow myself 2 Bud Lite Lime beers when I golf 9 holes. Anyway, don't fret about it. Today's another day.
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    i've personally learned that stress is not worth it. it happened, you seem very driven and CONSISTENT so i would have just enjoyed the meal & time spent then continued on with the healthy journey :) life is too short to stress about the occasional, delicious indulgence!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If that was all you did to "cheat" you shouldn't feel guilty. I regularly have days I just don't log for mental health reasons. If I did log people would die seeing 5000-8000 calories in a day. I strongly believe our bodies (and minds) need a day or meal off now and then.
  • PaigeJMP
    PaigeJMP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Its important to log it, and move on. Tomorrow is a new day!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Don't let that mindset sneak in. Count it as done, don't put yourself in that situation for awhile, get a bit farther and see if the next trip causes you the same trouble. Seems a lot of folks here find it easier to resist temptation as time goes on. However, that said, many of us need a treat now and then to stay on track and assure our brains we are not being "denied" anything, we are just choosing not to eat it at this time. So, indulge, log it, and move on, one meal or even one day does not "damage" you except emotionally if you let yourself feel guilty for eating something you love.