BELVIQ- Here we go! FDA approves new weight loss drug

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    The news article I read said that in the study the participants who took the placebo averaged about 5% loss following the same diet plan and the difference between the groups was VERY slight.
    The same with ALLI. But people don't believe it. They WANT a MAGIC PILL.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm not really sure what this drug is supposed to do.
    Reduce your appetite.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    What is being said about it so far...

“The approval of this drug, used responsibly in combination with a healthy diet and lifestyle, provides a treatment option for Americans who are obese or are overweight and have at least one weight-related comorbid condition,” said FDA’s drug center director, Dr. Janet Woodcock, in a statement.

In a rare move, the FDA explicitly stated in a press release that Belviq “does not appear to activate” a chemical pathway that was linked to the heart problems seen with fen-phen.The FDA said the drug acts on a different chemical pathway in the brain, which is believed to reduce appetite by boosting feelings of satiety and fullness.

**The FDA said patients should stop taking Belviq after three months if they fail to lose 5 percent of their body weight. Patients are unlikely to see any significant weight loss by staying with the drug.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No pill in the world will ever replace Good nutrition and exercise! I am just saying!
    Crack and meth addicts would disagree!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=666272

"Side effects from Belviq include serotonin syndrome - a potentially life-threatening drug reaction that causes the body to produce too much serotonin and causes symptoms of agitation, diarrhea, heavy sweating, fever, muscle spasms, tremors or mental health changes. People taking antidepressants or migraine drugs that increase serotonin levels may be at an increased risk for this side effect. The drug may also cause "disturbances in attention or memory," the FDA said."

Oh boy...sounds like a bargain! Where can I get some? :noway:
  • Tanig32
    Tanig32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the news last night and it said in the animals that it was tested on some of them got brain and breast cancer, and a doctor on the program said the best way to lose weight is through diet and exercise not by taking weight loss pills.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I saw this on the news last night and it said in the animals that it was tested on some of them got brain and breast cancer, and a doctor on the program said the best way to lose weight is through diet and exercise not by taking weight loss pills.
    But not many want to work hard to lose weight. It's evident by the ever increasing numbers in the overweight and obese in America.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options
    Personally, the fact that the fda has approved something does not make me feel that it's safe. In fact, I tend to question it more. But yes, like others have stated, I'm pretty positive it's just going to be another, "Will work if used with proper diet and exercise."...Well, duh.
    The FDA usually makes decisions based on scientific study. The main problem I see is WHO did that study and were they funded by the corporation trying to get approval.

IDEA Fitness member

Not true the fda does this for $$MONEY$$ and no other reason. The "studies" are done for short term so short that they have no idea years form now what the drugs do to your health. They are also published in part, anything negative is covered by publishing only the positive. The truth most of these "studies" are actually written by ghost writers and doctors whom had nothing to do with the studies simply sign their names to them! This is why prescrips are worth multi billions. Should the drug go wrong they simply get a hand slap, pay some fine, and continue to produce more bad drugs! Meanwhile you have to seek a lawyer to get some measly compensation. This is all avoided IF the drug companies were held fully responsible for the drugs and vaccines they produce. That is the actual job of fda yet they are paid off to look the other way.

www.mercola.com

Check out Dr. Mercola's site sad it's filled with countless fda approved drugs gone wrong.

If the fda approved it be sure there is a paper trail miles long and it leads to many bank accounts!
    If they approve it I know it's not safe or works so I avoid it. Just say NO to drugs. I can and do. I don't even use anything otc let alone prescrip. There are plenty of all natural herbs out there that do work without crazy dangerous side effects.

Your best bet is control your calories by burning more than you eat and get moving adding weights to your program. That's the secret - real consistent commitment and work. I'm hearing this over and over from friends who have lost weight, gained weight, and took back their health. It's working for me I am finally gaining weight and muscle.

Remember You CAN do this!:drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Personally, the fact that the fda has approved something does not make me feel that it's safe. In fact, I tend to question it more. But yes, like others have stated, I'm pretty positive it's just going to be another, "Will work if used with proper diet and exercise."...Well, duh.
    The FDA usually makes decisions based on scientific study. The main problem I see is WHO did that study and were they funded by the corporation trying to get approval.

IDEA Fitness member

Not true the fda does this for $$MONEY$$ and no other reason. The "studies" are done for short term so short that they have no idea years form now what the drugs do to your health. They are also published in part, anything negative is covered by publishing only the positive. The truth most of these "studies" are actually written by ghost writers and doctors whom had nothing to do with the studies simply sign their names to them! This is why prescrips are worth multi billions. Should the drug go wrong they simply get a hand slap, pay some fine, and continue to produce more bad drugs! Meanwhile you have to seek a lawyer to get some measly compensation. This is all avoided IF the drug companies were held fully responsible for the drugs and vaccines they produce. That is the actual job of fda yet they are paid off to look the other way.

www.mercola.com

Check out Dr. Mercola's site sad it's filled with countless fda approved drugs gone wrong.

If the fda approved it be sure there is a paper trail miles long and it leads to many bank accounts!
    If they approve it I know it's not safe or works so I avoid it. Just say NO to drugs. I can and do. I don't even use anything otc let alone prescrip. There are plenty of all natural herbs out there that do work without crazy dangerous side effects.

Your best bet is control your calories by burning more than you eat and get moving adding weights to your program. That's the secret - real consistent commitment and work. I'm hearing this over and over from friends who have lost weight, gained weight, and took back their health. It's working for me I am finally gaining weight and muscle.

Remember You CAN do this!:drinker:
    Well if you believe everything that Mercola says, then I could see your point. Personally I think Mercola is a quack.

IDEA Fitness member
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Oh, oh, it's magic, you know ♪
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, FDA. A pill that can possibly make me die from a heart attack or stroke is totally safe. :noway:
    But, sadly, most people would overlook that warning and flock to it anyway.

Funny that you mention this because this is a listed warning for the Birth Control pill too. We are willing to overlook those risks for "convenience"... which is really sad.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There are "good" things that the FDA has banned too. Injectable Vitamin C was one that still causes controversy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, FDA. A pill that can possibly make me die from a heart attack or stroke is totally safe. :noway:
    But, sadly, most people would overlook that warning and flock to it anyway.
    Funny that you mention this because this is a listed warning for the Birth Control pill too. We are willing to overlook those risks for "convenience"... which is really sad.
    Yes but not taking a birth control pill has worse side effects...
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wait a second, Dont people try to reduce their weight to AVOID heart attacks and/or STROKE? And the other side affects sound like it IS crack or meth.. I would be afraid even if i was morbidly obese... smh
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Wait a second, Dont people try to reduce their weight to AVOID heart attacks and/or STROKE? And the other side affects sound like it IS crack or meth.. I would be afraid even if i was morbidly obese... smh
    If someone is at risk of death from obesity, then I could definitely see them using it. But it's not them I'm worried about. It's the people who have like 20lbs to lose trying to get hold of the drug.

IDEA Fitness member
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I hate diet pills! My sister uses Alli all the time. During this shortage they just had, she gained 10 pounds back. Hmmmmm, I wonder why!? Her body is now dependent on it for her weight loss. I think the yo-yoing from these stupid "weight loss supplements" cause way more harm than good. Yes, maybe for the very obese to get them kickstarted, but it's awful for the ones that just need to loose 30 pounds or so.
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    Crack cocaine suppress ur appetite too.wonder if FDA will approve that next for a weight loss drug that can also cause heart attacks.
    things that make u go hhhhhmmmm.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I hate diet pills! My sister uses Alli all the time. During this shortage they just had, she gained 10 pounds back. Hmmmmm, I wonder why!? Her body is now dependent on it for her weight loss. I think the yo-yoing from these stupid "weight loss supplements" cause way more harm than good. Yes, maybe for the very obese to get them kickstarted, but it's awful for the ones that just need to loose 30 pounds or so.
    And that's the problem. While they maybe TOTALLY SAFE, they end up being a crutch. However DIETS are no different IMO.

IDEA Fitness member
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    And that's the problem. While they maybe TOTALLY SAFE, they end up being a crutch. However DIETS are no different IMO.

IDEA Fitness member

I hear ya. I have always believed that it needs to come off slow with a lifestyle change to be successful.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    And in two years we'll see commercials from lawyers that start out: Warning! BELVIQ has been known to cause serious injury or even death! If you or a loved one took BELVIQ and suffered tumors, heart attacks, liver failure, or sudden death, you may be entitled to compensation. Call us at 1-800-FDA-FAIL for a free consulation.