Inspired by Paula Deen- yes, I'm serious.

Options
No matter how much bashing she's gotten over the years- ESP. recently-

I was very inspired by the recent People Magazine cover/article....
about how she's FINALLY taken her health seriously-
how she's poof-poofed her diagnosis of Type II diabetes,
claimed to eat in moderation but it's been a big fat lie, etc.

and how she's NOW eating healthier, lost 30 lbs, and changed her lifestyle,
and how she's concerned about the foods she wants her grandkids to eat.

THAT's proof that it's not all talk.

I, for one, stand up and applaud her.

But for the grace of God go I........I was where she was too 15 months ago.

And I'm so happy that she's got a grip on living a healthier lifestyle.....
You go Paula!

Gee, I wished she was here on MFP- I'd ♥ to be pals with her!

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20607695,00.html

Replies

• miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    The botox and lipo suction is used by many in the star lime light. I am not saying she did this but would not be surprised.

Paula only lost 5 lbs a month what is the big deal?

We have true success stories on MFP men and women who have lost 100,200,300,400,500,600 lbs, these are the people who inspire me and have my respect and I would be honored to meet. I call these People MFP winners and they deserve be on the cover of the magazines in my opinion .Paula never suffered to lose 30 lbs, the average person is forced to diet the hard way not like her.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    The botox and lipo suction is used by many in the star lime light. I am not saying she did this but would not be surprised.

Paula only lost 5 lbs a month what is the big deal?

We have true success stories on MFP men and women who have lost 100,200,300,400,500,600 lbs, these are the people who inspire me and have my respect and I would be honored to meet. I call these People MFP winners and they deserve be on the cover of the magazines in my opinion .Paula never suffered to lose 30 lbs, the average person is forced to diet the hard way not like her.

First off, you ARE implying that's how she lost it.
    The article states she opted for a healthier lifestyle, changing her eating habits....and lost 30 lbs over the course of 6 months.

It took me 12 months to lose 50 lbs. It takes many of us here a little longer to lose it for various reasons,
    Not sure how one qualifies HOW LONG it took someone- the am't per month-
    as to whether it's impressive or not.
    I personally think ANY goal- no matter what it is- should be applauded.
    Many falter along the way,
    and are in the process of overcoming the emotional/mental end of the battle as well-

which she states was a HUGE part of her battle: "I do think differently now" about food, Deen says in this week's cover story. "I'm more aware."

Also not sure why you claim "Paula never suffered to lose 30 lbs, the average person is forced to diet the hard way not like her."

Incorporating small changes just in WALKING more, counting calories, paying attention to labels/sodium, and beating the stress eating.....
    may seem like the *EASY* way, but I beg to differ.

I just appreciate showing the rest of the world- for those who think beating the gym everyday is the ONLY way to lose-
    that it's ONE option.
    It's the FASTER track, but not the ONLY one.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PAULA DEEN, AND I THINK SHE REALLY GOT A BAD RAP. EVERYONE LOVED HER, TILL SHE GOT SICK. SHE DIDN'T MAKE ANYONE EAT HER STYLE OF FOOD, WE LOVE IT. SHE IS TRYING TO GET HEALTHY, GOOD FOR HER.
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    I agree with everything you said, Jill.
    Options
    Sure like to know why no one *crucifies* the men on the cooking shows that are overweight as well.

Double standard.

Guys like Guy Fieri- whom I love watching as well- who seems to DEEP FRY everything- and eats a ton of other greasy crap-

but I don't see anyone nailing him for the lifestyle he's promoting/endorsing.........
    no, I hear them all sayin........no one's making you EAT it.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I agree!! I love Paula and she IS an inspiration for ME!!
  • momornana
    momornana Posts: 10
    Options
    I am a mother of 10 and grandmother of 12. FOOD is who I am. I'm known for the pie on the counter and cooking the "good" stuff. Now, I not only have to change what I eat and cook, but I have to redefine who I am. Paula has become famous for adding BUTTER to a ridiculous degree. Who will she be now? How will she go from over indulgence to moderation and become a "new" and still very successful lady. Change is NEVER easy, especially when it involves the very core of who you are. Even if you didn't eat the rich foods she prepared you loved watching her cook. I hope she finds new energy and continue to entertain us. Less is more. Go Paula!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    People are writing me saying I should not have responded to OP and wrote Paula Deen does not inspire me. People are reminding me I am a Christian and I should show more love to her. Here is my public response. I am writing it quickly so forgive any typo's. MFP is full of People who are not rich or famous but are heros on MFP in my eyes and others are inspired also. MFP weight loss hero's is what I call them. These people took their greatest weakness food, and turned it into a greater strength, by learning how to control what they eat they show self discipline combined with healthy food choices. MFP weight loss winners you are my motivation and inspiration not just to me but to thousands of others. I know you have written and felt hurt because a post was put up saying Paula Deen is the OP inspiration. when I responded what I did, at the time you wrote me, no one praised the people on MFP who lost a lot of weight.

I am taking the time to tell all who share their before and after pictures, even humbling themselves in showing tummies in the before pictures, please do not feel rejected or ignored because I believe as I write this I speak for many who thank you also for being our inspiration and motivation no matter how few or how many lbs we have to lose. Thank You!
    People who say Paula Deen is their inspiration, do not realize how they are offending MFP people who have proven on MFP they are worthy of being an inspiration and to be praised.
    like my MFP Friend emancipateurs

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/626426-one-year-later-100-loss-pics

My MFP Friend who has helped me much in helping me with recipes to reduce sodium
    Kalynx here is a shout out to you, you deserve it! It has been a hard long battle but her health is improving and she helps so many people on MFP

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/603162-being-very-brave-my-progress-so-far

MFP weight loss hero's are not rich or famous but they deserve our respect for they truly fought a hard battle without millions of dollars to make it easy. I am inspired by MFP Friends who are still in the battle to lose the weight and they do not give up, they work hard to win the weight loss battle. I have MFP Friends who have lost a 100 or more lbs. I respect them so much. I see real success stories every day on MFP with before and after pictures. I want them to know, in my eyes they are the ones that should get the applause and these people are inspirations not just to me but to many on MFP.

I am inspired by MFP people who log on daily, share their life's biggest struggle with others and encourage others. Man of these People have abuse, rejection,insults. I wept as I read one precious lady was spit on! I saw her before and after pictures when she lost over 200 lbs and she is a very beautiful, humble woman. Many times, tears roll down my cheeks when I read the testimonies how abused,hated disrespected these people were but despite all odds they got the weight loss victory. I have saved in a file people who have touched my heart with their victories. I am grateful I have never been that overweight to be mocked, but that does not mean I am not touched by their pain.

MFP weight loss hero's used their greatest battle in life to turn into the greatest victory. Below are just a few who inspire me and have my deepest respect. There are many more MFP people. I am sorry if I offended people by writing Paula Deen is not my inspiration. Now I share just a few who are my inspiration.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/626293-3-yr-anniversary-307-lbs-lost-picture-heavy

The below link is not a MFP member,but when I found her through a low carb forum I cried for the judgmental abuse she suffered. I rejoice at her victory today and would be honored to meet this winner who won a major victory in her life. If her story does not inspire i suggest you get your heart scanned and see if it is made of stone!
    http://lowcarbcj.blogspot.ie/

CJ the link above does not know me but at one time I put her picture on my computer desktop,when I got discouraged and missed sugary treats I remind myself if she could succeed in fighting temptation I certainly can also. CJ is a winner and a hero in my eyes. I do not have hundreds of lbs to lose yet many times I and others on MFP get discouraged when the scale refuses to budge down numbers. This woman and other people beat all odds of losing wieght because they did not give up. I wrote Ed asked him a question and he took the time to answer my questions.

I did not insult Paula Deen and if your inspired because she uses publicity with the media to let everyone know she lost 5 lbs a month for 6 months to lose 30 lbs that is your choice. Do not be surprised if she does not write a diet cookbook. Please do not be angry with me because I voice my opinion about Paula Deen and instead applaud the real weight loss hero's in my eyes.

I am inspired by MFP people who are severely overweight but do not give up, they are on MFP and because they log in record what they eat, ask others for encouragement and stay on their eating plan I respect them and I am inspired because they are not quitters.

Everyone has someone who motivates them Paula Deen does not inspire or motivate me in any way. Paula does not know the meaning of suffering, abuse,insults or rejection like the majority of the people in the links I am posting.

There are so many on MFP who are my inspiration, I have seen your before and after pictures and rejoiced with you along with others. Please forgive me if you are my MPF friend and your link is not here. I have already written you congratulated you and told you that you inspire me and thanked you.

People who inspire me are men and women who take high calorie,high carb recipes and change it to an alternative healthy recipe like skinnytaste.com and many other websites who do not do it for profit but it is a labor of love. I highly respect and I am inspired by people on MFP who lose a large amount of weight and years later proved they kept it off.
    Here are just a few MFP Hero's in my eyes who inspire and motivate me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586161-i-m-47-of-the-man-i-used-to-be-my-two-year-journey
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/Jacole18
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/602446-my-progress-so-far-with-pictures
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/594807-160-pounds-down-w-pictures
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/607601-150-9lbs-lighter-in-19-months-pics-onederland
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/579160-12-months-170lbs-lost-with-photos-what-a-year
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/642815-111-lbs-lost-10-months-on-mfp
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/600854-let-s-play-who-is-that-after-107-pounds-gone
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/643511-one-year-140-lbs-pics

Jimmy Moore is my weight loss inspiration he has taught me so much about living low carb
    n January 2004, Jimmy Moore made a decision to get rid of the weight that was literally killing him. At 32 years of age and 410 pounds, the time had come for a radical change of lifestyle. A year later, he had shed 180 pounds, shrunk his waist by 20 inches, and dropped his shirt size from 5XL to XL http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com/

Bowulf on youtube once weighed close to 500 lbs he is my weight loss hero now he shares his testimony with recipes cooking the low carb way.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bowulf
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Sure like to know why no one *crucifies* the men on the cooking shows that are overweight as well.

Double standard.

Guys like Guy Fieri- whom I love watching as well- who seems to DEEP FRY everything- and eats a ton of other greasy crap-

but I don't see anyone nailing him for the lifestyle he's promoting/endorsing.........
    no, I hear them all sayin........no one's making you EAT it.

I enjoy seeing the various establishments Guy Fieri goes to, but I can't STAND his pudgy little face at the end of each segment with him smacking his lips and talking with his mouth full....just poor manners and disgusting!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Wow ok..first off thanks for the shout out miracle - its a two way street you know, I seem to know about lower sodium cooking and can help you, but you inspire and help me in ways you may not realize. <3

I love Paula Deen, I have two of her cook books I watch her shows if its on and I'm in the mood, I actually made a version of one of "her" (but very basic) recipes tonight..it was YUM!! I'm pretty sure I might be related to her because I seem to love butter, cheese & bacon too..AND the casserole line at my family reunion last weekend had many of her dishes...(yummy yummy pineapple/cheddar casserole with sugar butter and ritz).

I love watching her or reading her recipes and changing them to suit me and my goals. Tonight I had a couple of friends over and I wanted to make a nice dessert with my fancier ingredients I had just bought a month ago..I changed her mini blueberry cream cheese tarts into a nice mini cheese cake sweetened with pure sucanant sugar, and instead of topping it with fresh blueberries or pie filling I used a small amount of creme de menthe chips and instead of vanilla wafers for the crust I used graham crackers.

The pineapple cheddar thing I want to make, I'll use the Ritz or some other cracker (or maybe plain bread crumbs?) real unsalted butter, FRESH pineapple, real cheddar...and maybe stevia. :) Still not the healthiest but I wouldn't eat it a bucket at a time, either.

I followed her weight lost/diabetes rumor as I enjoy her food, and have type 2 diabetes myself. I watched as she slowly gave up her two pitcher of sweet iced tea habit, begrudgingly started exercising and herself admits that most of her recipes are for special occasions not every day cooking.

It probably was a struggle for her, but her money, trainers, fancy equipment sure did help!!

I think the harder part, and why I admire her now is that she was honest, admitted the problem and did something about it despite what people were going to say or write, jokes made, etc. She hit that wall where its time to change or you might die soon. I've been there, done that..my case was much more severe BUT once you hit that low you must make changes no matter what, even celebrities have to do things for themselves first sometimes. I sure would hate to be famous and worry if I broke up with some idiot I was dating it would be on Leno that night, or if I gained 5 lbs "man that Kalyn sure did balloon up over the summer" etc...its the price they pay for their fame (and yeah again, the money surely helps them sleep better at night! lol) Kirstie Alley comes to mind..Miley Sirus (that poor girl never could grow up without some body commenting on EVERY mistake she made...being the but of jokes as a teenager when really deep down she's just a little girl that grew up fast).

Paula's son's show I think the name is "Not My Mama's Cookin'" is also really fun to me to watch, he'll take one of her classic really fatting horrible recipes and show us how to do it healthier, fresher, in a whole new way. The end of the show he talks to her or eats with his Mama and she samples the revised version and they chat about it after the appropriate "MmMmM Son, that is good!" comments. lol

The thing about MFP that I do NOT like is that on the boards people sometimes snark back and forth offering criticisms to people who were honestly just sharing THEIR feelings and what not...in what they thought was a safe place. (I'm not saying anyone in this thread is doing that!!) The original OP said something she felt, and then the first responder did, too..neither were attacks but because we all feel strongly about what we believe it turns into a big ugly debate, feelings are hurt, etc. People naturally get defensive about their views, even when they arent really being attacked. That's why I kind of shy away from boards these days, or just cruise around looking for good food tips/recipes. I just cannot handle one more debate on sodium, butter vs fake spread, or natural oils vs hydronated oils..lol.

There are also so many wonderful people its really great to get to know people like yourself, or completely different that inspire you!! <3
    Options
    People are writing me saying I should not have responded to OP and wrote Paula Deen does not inspire me. People are reminding me I am a Christian and I should show more love to her. Here is my public response. I am writing it quickly so forgive any typo's. MFP is full of People who are not rich or famous but are heros on MFP in my eyes and others are inspired also. MFP weight loss hero's is what I call them. These people took their greatest weakness food, and turned it into a greater strength, by learning how to control what they eat they show self discipline combined with healthy food choices. MFP weight loss winners you are my motivation and inspiration not just to me but to thousands of others. I know you have written and felt hurt because a post was put up saying Paula Deen is the OP inspiration. when I responded what I did, at the time you wrote me, no one praised the people on MFP who lost a lot of weight.

I am taking the time to tell all who share their before and after pictures, even humbling themselves in showing tummies in the before pictures, please do not feel rejected or ignored because I believe as I write this I speak for many who thank you also for being our inspiration and motivation no matter how few or how many lbs we have to lose. Thank You!
    People who say Paula Deen is their inspiration, do not realize how they are offending MFP people who have proven on MFP they are worthy of being an inspiration and to be praised.
    like my MFP Friend emancipateurs

My MFP Friend who has helped me much in helping me with recipes to reduce sodium
    Kalynx here is a shout out to you, you deserve it! It has been a hard long battle but her health is improving and she helps so many people on MFP

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/603162-being-very-brave-my-progress-so-far

MFP weight loss hero's are not rich or famous but they deserve our respect for they truly fought a hard battle without millions of dollars to make it easy. I am inspired by MFP Friends who are still in the battle to lose the weight and they do not give up, they work hard to win the weight loss battle. I have MFP Friends who have lost a 100 or more lbs. I respect them so much. I see real success stories every day on MFP with before and after pictures. I want them to know, in my eyes they are the ones that should get the applause and these people are inspirations not just to me but to many on MFP.

I am inspired by MFP people who log on daily, share their life's biggest struggle with others and encourage others. Man of these People have abuse, rejection,insults. I wept as I read one precious lady was spit on! I saw her before and after pictures when she lost over 200 lbs and she is a very beautiful, humble woman. Many times, tears roll down my cheeks when I read the testimonies how abused,hated disrespected these people were but despite all odds they got the weight loss victory. I have saved in a file people who have touched my heart with their victories. I am grateful I have never been that overweight to be mocked, but that does not mean I am not touched by their pain.

MFP weight loss hero's used their greatest battle in life to turn into the greatest victory. Below are just a few who inspire me and have my deepest respect. There are many more MFP people. I am sorry if I offended people by writing Paula Deen is not my inspiration. Now I share just a few who are my inspiration.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/626293-3-yr-anniversary-307-lbs-lost-picture-heavy

The below link is not a MFP member,but when I found her through a low carb forum I cried for the judgmental abuse she suffered. I rejoice at her victory today and would be honored to meet this winner who won a major victory in her life. If her story does not inspire i suggest you get your heart scanned and see if it is made of stone!
    http://lowcarbcj.blogspot.ie/

CJ the link above does not know me but at one time I put her picture on my computer desktop,when I got discouraged and missed sugary treats I remind myself if she could succeed in fighting temptation I certainly can also. CJ is a winner and a hero in my eyes. I do not have hundreds of lbs to lose yet many times I and others on MFP get discouraged when the scale refuses to budge down numbers. This woman and other people beat all odds of losing wieght because they did not give up. I wrote Ed asked him a question and he took the time to answer my questions.

I did not insult Paula Deen and if your inspired because she uses publicity with the media to let everyone know she lost 5 lbs a month for 6 months to lose 30 lbs that is your choice. Do not be surprised if she does not write a diet cookbook. Please do not be angry with me because I voice my opinion about Paula Deen and instead applaud the real weight loss hero's in my eyes.

I am inspired by MFP people who are severely overweight but do not give up, they are on MFP and because they log in record what they eat, ask others for encouragement and stay on their eating plan I respect them and I am inspired because they are not quitters.

Everyone has someone who motivates them Paula Deen does not inspire or motivate me in any way. Paula does not know the meaning of suffering, abuse,insults or rejection like the majority of the people in the links I am posting.

There are so many on MFP who are my inspiration, I have seen your before and after pictures and rejoiced with you along with others. Please forgive me if you are my MPF friend and your link is not here. I have already written you congratulated you and told you that you inspire me and thanked you.

People who inspire me are men and women who take high calorie,high carb recipes and change it to an alternative healthy recipe like skinnytaste.com and many other websites who do not do it for profit but it is a labor of love. I highly respect and I am inspired by people on MFP who lose a large amount of weight and years later proved they kept it off.
    Here are just a few MFP Hero's in my eyes who inspire and motivate me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586161-i-m-47-of-the-man-i-used-to-be-my-two-year-journey
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/Jacole18
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/602446-my-progress-so-far-with-pictures
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/594807-160-pounds-down-w-pictures
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/607601-150-9lbs-lighter-in-19-months-pics-onederland
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/579160-12-months-170lbs-lost-with-photos-what-a-year
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/642815-111-lbs-lost-10-months-on-mfp
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/600854-let-s-play-who-is-that-after-107-pounds-gone
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/643511-one-year-140-lbs-pics

Jimmy Moore is my weight loss inspiration he has taught me so much about living low carb
    n January 2004, Jimmy Moore made a decision to get rid of the weight that was literally killing him. At 32 years of age and 410 pounds, the time had come for a radical change of lifestyle. A year later, he had shed 180 pounds, shrunk his waist by 20 inches, and dropped his shirt size from 5XL to XL http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com/

Bowulf on youtube once weighed close to 500 lbs he is my weight loss hero now he shares his testimony with recipes cooking the low carb way.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bowulf

I'm sorry if others jumped on your case over my original post.
    Please let me clarify for YOU that I posted this post under the Chit-chat, Fun and Games topic,
    NOT the SUCCESS STORIES/MOTIVATION
    BECAUSE I was not putting Paula Deen in the same category as my own friends I've met along the way here
    on MFP. (Some I also know in real life, most only thru this site)

It was NEVER my intention of offending you or anyone else on this site.

I simply was making a statement that I appreciate someone who has such a spotlight in their life=
    to FINALLY become honest and REAL about the struggle with weight loss.

Let me make sure you understand, I am not the least bit impressed by those who endorse the gimmicky diet plans,
    such as other celebrities who've lost a lot of weight and become a spokesperson.
    The weight loss might be real, but UNLESS it becomes a lifestyle change>>>particularly the MENTAL changes of the relationship
    with FOOD (emotional eating issues).........I don't hold out much hope for it being something anyone can maintain the rest of their lives.
    THAT is the part of her story that inspires me because someone of her stature
    is willing to SAY that, not endorse a meal plan/fad diet aid.
  • judiiiiindisguise
    judiiiiindisguise Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Paula Dean had a hard life and many disappointments and managed to create the world she has today by working her *kitten* off...i love her y'alls! She is a funny, exhuberant person and a complete blast and i wish i was in her circle of friends..havin food, cooking, laughing, enjoying life..so i do my own version...for myself and my world...she is a kick! xoxoxo Paula Dean!