NSV: My 2nd 5K, Changed me..

Options
I started my weight loss journey 6months ago. I have lost 34lbs total. It has been a struggle. I have struggled with food, exercise, and attitude. I used to go to work come home sit and do the normal house and mom stuff. I didn't think I could do anymore, because I was told I couldn't, because I have MS. I have spent the better portion of 9years (since I was diagnosed with MS) believing the lies of, you can't, you wont, you shouldn't, and it's not safe for you. I am done listening to these lies! 6 months ago I just plain old got sick and tired of being sick and tired, going home and not having anything left in my "gas tank" to give to my family bc I gave to everyone else at work. How sad is that? When I need to be raising, loving, and being available to my husband and kids!
First thing I did was get in contact with a trainer that some of the gals in my office were seeing too. After my first session I was hooked. He saw right through me and told me the biggest hurdle I have is the 4inches between my ears. He was and is so right! I have gotten stronger week by week. I have become more confident in my physical abilities. I still am my harshest critic. I am learning to give myself a break. I am realizing it is ok to adjust your goals as needed. I continue to work through weakness, fatigue, and pain. If you know anyone with MS you know those things are huge! Take those things for a person without MS and multiple it by 10 for someone affected by MS. I have had to learn to push through all these things each workout, plus the normal I dont know if I can, I dont want to be here today, and I look and feel like a dork.
I did my first 5k in May and walked it and I made it! I did what other people in my life told me I couldn't and shouldn't do! It was amazing! Yesterday I finished my 2nd 5K. It was harder than the first bc it was hot and humid and mostly an up hill grade. I did it! I also shaved off 3mins and 15secs from my first 5k! How amazing! This tells me I am on the right path and my body is changing! I also have great support from my Husband and a Great friend and her husband! I am blessed!
Before working out I was sick, tired, unsure of myself, unsure of what the future held, and fearful! Today, I am strong, not a quitter, the future looks bright, and I am not afraid!

If I can do this through chronic pain, MS, and a multitude of excuses, You can too! I have been given every excuse and excuses I have given myself to never try and to quit. Something clicked one day and my attitude changed and I said WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME I CANT AND I WONT??!!!??? BECAUSE I WILL AND I CAN! I WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE STILL AND STAGNANT, I WAS MEANT TO MOVE, TO LIVE, TO LOVE, TO LAUGH, and MOST OF ALL BE WHO I WAS CREATED TO BE!

Replies

• LaPati
    LaPati Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I am starting to realize how much we hold ourselves back because we think we can't do it. We are all capable of amazing things if we just give ourselves the opportunity to do them. Congratulations on your breakthrough!
  • jkallen319
    jkallen319 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome! Keep up the good work and the great attitude!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Good for you for realizing you're worth it!! My uncle has MS and struggles with the pain. When things are good he is too, but other days the 2 block walk to the bus stop literally wipes him out. His goal this year was to do a Warrior Dash with my cousins. He wasn't able to--it's been a rough year for him, physically and mentally--but I'm sure his time will come. He turns 50 this year and has suffered for 20 years.

Congrats to you and your NSV!
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Your story really touched my heart! My aunt had MS and unfortunately she lost her battle. But you are amazing and i commend you for not listening to what everyone else has to say! Good job!
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You ARE amazing and I am teary eyed! You go girl!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    TY! My next big goal is the Warrior Dash, August 25! I will get there and I will keep pushing through!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Wow....thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your story of "being the example"!! I love your spirit, I love your attitude. Yes, it can be done if you truly want to make it happen and YOU are a shining example of it!!
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    wow, what an inspiring story, good for you for being so determined and strong and not giving up, it just goes to show what can be achieved if you truly believe in yourself!! you're amazing thank you for sharing your story :smile:
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    Options
    TY :)
    I my hope is people see they are worth and stop listening to the lies they are told and the lies they tell themselves. We are all so much more than our short coming and can achieve so much more!
  • Oretexan
    Oretexan Posts: 108
    Options
    You are a huge inspiration! Thank you for sharing your story. I wish I had examined some of my beliefs and some of the things I had been told years ago. We CAN do this!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    Options
    Oretexan, youre right! We CAN do this!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!