What to eat when fast food/eating out is your only option?

Options
2»

Replies

• kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake once of ordering a chicken wrap at Burger King thinking it would be okay. It was like 370 calories! What a waste of calories. I'd rather buy 6 bags of apple slices. I always bring snacks with me wherever I go, so if I am at a fast food place with the kids, I eat my snacks (like a Zone bar, peanuts, Fiber 1) - edited to add or find a Panera, there is so much to pick from and so much of it fits into my daily calorie plan.
  • yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot....

Plan in advance and bring my own food
    Subway whole wheat 6" veggie sandwich no cheese no dressing or lite mayo or olive oil
    Starbucks feta cheese wrap (with scrambled egg whites yum)
    Salads wherever I can get them

If desperate - Denny's light fare egg white omelet
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Try to avoid "fast food" at all costs! BUT...that being said...these are some things I have eaten and didn't feel too guilty about:

Charley's - Grilled chicken salad - 198 cal

Subway - Vege Sub on Wheat (hold the cheese and dressing or chose mozzarella and olive oil/vinegar if you must)

McDonalds - grilled chicken salad with balsamic dressing (hold the croutons)

Taco Bell Fresco Chicken Burrito - 350 cal (watch this one because the sodium content is still high)

Wendy's - Plain Baked potato (not much food, and not great choices for protein, but it's something).

Hope this helps a little bit.
  • Jude1064
    Jude1064 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Subway, taco bell fresco menu, mcdonalds grilled chicken salad
  • crownedbee
    crownedbee Posts: 10
    Options
    There are usually a few options at each fast food restaurant that I know I can have.

Wendy's grilled chicken go wrap is okay, but you can sub the honey mustard for pico de gallo and it's better. A small chili (nothing added but the chili sauce), a baked potato with chives and one tube of sour cream no butter, a side salad with lite ranch. I usually choose either the wrap or the chili and a potato or salad.

Chick-Fil-A's southwestern chargrilled salad is delicious and the spicy dressing isn't terribly bad for you, but there are lighter options if you'd prefer. I also like their wraps. I also always sub a fruit cup with my wrap combo.

McDonald's grilled southwest salad is also good. That's the only thing I'll eat there.

At Subway you can get a 6" turkey or oven roasted chicken on wheat or flatbread with cheese, all the veggies you could possibly want, and either mustard or sweet onion sauce for about 400 calories.

Chipotle's burrito bowl is pretty heavy on the calories, but if you do a salad there instead just taking away the rice and adding more lettuce really saves you a bunch of calories.

I haven't had Taco Bell since before I started MFP, but they do have that fresco menu with the better options.

I don't eat at any other fast food restaurants. Arbys, Burger King, KFC, etc don't have enough healthier stuff to make it worth it for me to go there. There are a few local places that have healthy foods and I just make sure I know what am having before I ever get there. If I'm faced with the menu and no nutritional value, I'll inevitably make a bad decision. Make a cheat sheet of the things you can have a different restaurants you may frequent and keep it with you. That way you won't be tempted to get something you shouldn't have.

I also try to always have snacks with me. If I already have healthy snacks, I'm less likely to stop at a gas station or a fast food restaurant and get something that will totally blow my progress.
  • mscrholder
    mscrholder Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What do you all eat when you're traveling and fast food/eating out is all you have?

I should've said away from home instead of traveling. I'm out of town right now but not in a hotel or a place where I can refrigerate things or cook my own food. These ideas have been great though!! Thank you all soo much!!
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    mmread - have you ever done a very long road trip across the Midwest? We do every spring & there are many, many towns where we have to stop & gas up, eat, etc & there are NO restaurants or grocery stores, only option maybe 1 fast food place in very rural areas.
    We tend to pack food in our coolers anyway on long trips. Otherwise, try to get some type of grilled chicken option and/or salad (dressing on the side). I worked in sales for many years, in a very large rural territory, with few restaurants at all. I did pack lunches & snacks in a cooler. Another thing that worked well (for a day trip) was making protein shakes the nite before & freezing them. Eat them when they thaw a bit & it's like an "icecream" snack. Helps keep stuff in your cooler cold, too.
    Happy travels.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I will choose Mc Donald's Hamburgers, but get them plain, KFC's grilled chicken and green beans, but make sure the chicken is white meat, Subway Ham and pile on the veggies, Pizza, but thin crust with lots of veggies. It does seem like more and more fastfood restaurants are offering vegetables, so go for them. I do agree with salads not always being the best option, because they are skimpy on the vegetables and aren't very filling.

Nobody has mentioned breakfast, though. You best choice is probably the Oatmeal at Mc Donalds. It's under 300 calories, tastes great, and is the most filling.

Places to avoid would be Hardee's/Carl's Jr. and Steak N Shake. Not too many options there.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I just try and make smart choices when going out. Not everything on a fast food menu is horrible, which is a good thing. But thanks to this app, i can see which foods are the devil, and which are not.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Anything with grilled chicken - scratch the bread.
  • mscrholder
    mscrholder Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is excellent advice!! Thank you all so very much!!