How to get a neighbors dog to shut up?

Options
bradthemedic
bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
Every day there's a guy who visits his girlfriend in the condo building next to mine. He encourages his small yappy type dog to squeel 500x in the span of the sidewalk to the building. There's several of us who have discussed approaching them and asking them to stop - but I can tell that no one will do that. I can also tell they don't care their dog does it because I've stood outside and watched as everyone stares at them and they continue to encourage their dog to bark like it's on crack.

Looking for ideas and suggestions on how I can indirectly get them to shut their dog up.

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Talk to the manager or grow a pair and talk to him about it.
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to keep my dogs from barking because I know how annoying it is. If its a problem I would want someone to tell me. If they don't try...I am sure you could call the authorities?
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    you can do what my dad threatened to do to our neighbors who had a dog who wouldn't shut up - record the thing, yapping away, and then when YOU leave the house, blast if from your speakers with your windows wide open.

:laugh:
  • Mini_Me_G
    Mini_Me_G Posts: 4
    Options
    Usually condo associations have 'noise' rules. I would find out what they are and then approach these people about their dog. For one thing, it isn't healthy for a dog to continually bark....If they are less than reasonable.....spraying the dog with a water pistol might quiet him down.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Throw it down the garbage chute
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Is it one of those little dogs that have the high pitched ear bleeding barks? If so, I feel your pain. I have a neighbour who lets her little hellion outside in her back yard at 5 every morning and it yaps and yaps..... a real dog bark is fine, but the pitch of this thing make me want to remove it's voicebox. This is the only dog/alien creature that has EVER bothered me.
  • shoeluver67
    shoeluver67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Take him a 6 pack of beer and nicely approach him. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    I would say that your first step it to talk to them. they may not be aware of the impact, but here's the thing - at this point all you are doing is assuming what they are thinking doing trying feeling...and we all know what assuming does to us and to others, right?

Go talk to them. That will direct your next steps.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    We had a neighbor who had a big dog that barked whenever it was outside, non stop, even at 3am. SO glad they just moved away! My brother had this problem, so he secretly hung up something in his back yard that makes a very annoying noise, but only the dog can hear it. It definitely has helped the dog to stop barking when it's near his property.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Most rental spaces have pet regulations which may address this, and cities and counties have noise ordinances. Where I live, a dog that barks non-stop for 10 minutes is considered a 'nuisance', and the owner will be cited. I would recommend talking to the people first, but it sounds like no one wants to do that, so contact the local jurisdiction to see what your options are.

Clearly, they are not responsible pet owners. They probably don't care, and won't make any effort to keep the dog quiet unless forced. As in most complaint situations, it's the people who are 'bad', not the dog!
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    Take him a 6 pack of beer and nicely approach him. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Best advice ever.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't report it. TALK TO THEM.

But there is a nice way to go about it. Tell them that what they are doing to their dog is actually detrimental to the dog's mental well-being. By encouraging it to bark, spin, etc. they are encouraging an unstable mind, which is actually REALLY bad for the dog.

Or, if you don't want to do it that way, just tell them that it's annoying and you wanted to tell them before you reported anything. Be honest and don't report it without telling them first. It'll just cause drama. Trust me.

Let them know that they can train the behaviour out of their dog, and that all they have to do is take it to an obedience class, or call a dog trainer. Either way, it's not a behaviour that YOU can stop, or that they'll be able to stop overnight. It's an encouraged and learned behaviour that only they can change, but they won't change it because they enjoy it. You need to tell them that it's annoying to yourself and the rest of your neighbours.

BUT. If they keep it up for a few weeks, and show no signs of changing or trying to correct the behaviour, definitely report it then. You gave them fair warning, so it'll be all on them to make the change and not you. You're just following through.
  • HausOfTina
    HausOfTina Posts: 92
    Options
    I just literally spat out my coffee reading the title of this topic! HAH
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    we have by-laws regarding dog barking in our city. I would see if they do in your city. People who encourage their dogs like this should be smacked. Horrible dog owners make it harder for the rest of us!!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Have the homeowner's association get in touch with the girlfriend, or leave an anonymous note on her door when you know she's not home.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Best advice ever.

I am seconding this one. Be nice, explain it is a bother and others are upset too. I would respect my neighbors if they told me my dog was an *kitten*. I would appreciate more tho coming to my face and not behind my back or in some other fashion. I like to know where people stand as long as I am treated with respect. Hope your neighbor is the same.
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    Looks like local bylaws are VERY strict regarding this sort of thing. As there are 5 of us in separate units that have the problem, this should stop in no time.

Thanks for the tips.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I do have a story.

My neighbor's dog would ALWAYS bark at anybody who would walk through the courtyard or up the stairs, bark at dust blowing in the wind, at the birds flying by, at anything and a lot of times at nothing. All day long that little beastie would bark, and especially at me. Until that one fateful day he charged up their sofa with the intention of standing on the window sill for maximum barkage. Unfortunately for him, he overestimated his speed and launch velocity as he catapulted himself from the sofa. He hit the window (he was a very small dog and these were double-pane windows so nothing bad happened), then slid down the wall and landed with a thud between the wall and the sofa. He never barked at me again. Yup. Pecking order had been established.
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sometimes even when you approach people nicely they are still jerks about things like this. My neighbors in point...

I feel your pain.

Approach him first and if it doesn't stop then I would contact the condo association about it. I'm sure they have something in writing about noise etc.

and document what you do.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    When I have a reasonable beef with a guy, I always approach him man to man in a very respectful, kind way. :bigsmile:

And if that does not work, then he goes to the emergency room.:angry:
    Either way, I get my way.
    I get tired of the way some people think they can walk all over others.
    Good Luck!