Headache/Migraine After Light Jogging

Options
So I've been speed/power walking for about a week or so. Yesterday I decided to step it up and I did some light jogging for part of my walk, probably somewhere around 1/4 of a mile out of a 3 mile walk.

While I was jogging, my HRM said my heart rate got up to 210, and then took at least 10 minutes to get back under 200 when I stopped running (I'm not sure if this is related so I'm adding it in).

An hour or so after my walk/jog, I started getting a headache/migraine. By about 7-8 pm I had a pretty bad migraine that I had to use an Imitrex injection on in order to get it to go away.

I do not think this is a hydration issue, I'm drinking 8-12 cups of water per day. Also, I read online that it can sometimes be an issue with sodium, but I go over my daily allowance of sodium daily, so I don't think this is the issue either.

Does anybody have any advice/input on what could be the cause and ways to prevent this? I really want to build up to jogging the whole 3 miles, I want to improve from just walking, but I don't want to deal with horrible migraines every day because of it.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Shantytownbrown
    Options
    a) go see your doctor!
    b)in the mean time...do you get headaches any other time of day...?
    c)can you check your blood pressure?
    d) have you added any new medicines including prescritions, over the counter or "supplements" or even Naturopathics?
    e) have you recently given up caffiene or added more caffiene to your diet?
    f)any other symptoms...chest pain, palpitations, shortness of breath, sweating out of proportion to your workout? sudden weight loss out of proportion?

and finally

g) go see your doctor...!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    sometimes exercising triggers migraines. Unfortunate, but true sometimes.

Question: Had you a light headache (scale of 1-2 before)? Is there another trigger (food additives, TOM) that may have helped nudged it along? Barometric pressure (weather) changes?

This is one of the sucky things about migraines-they're unexpected sometimes. I've had migraines since I was a little kid. I know how frustrating these are to track. I've developed headaches during/after running as well and when I looked back, realized I had a mild headache already. or ate something I shouldn't have. or, it was some other trigger, like someone walking into the gym reeking of perfume.

I'd just stick with the running. See if it keeps happening or if this is a one time thing. Chances are it won't happen every time you run. I'd pay attention to and track your other triggers well and by all means, and take your migraine meds early! Don't wait till it explodes into something unmanageable.
  • spragukr
    spragukr Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I have a history of migraines but I have mostly eliminated them all. I think I am going to try again and see if it happens again, and if it does I will probably go see my doctor. Unfortunately my doctor is really hard to get in to see any sooner than a 2-3 week wait.

I have been cutting down on caffeine little by little, and was getting some light headaches during the day because of those, but nowhere near the one I got yesterday after exercise. Also, I don't think I had a headache at all prior to the exercise.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice, I really appreciate them!
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    Do you normally get migraines? If so, I know that exercise can trigger migraines fairly easily in some people. I get migraines all the time and if I go to far with exercise I can end up with a migraine. I have found that once I reach the point where I'm breathing a lot, it's time to stop and slow it down. If you don't normally get migraines, go see a doctor. Probably should see a doctor about it anyways.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I have a history of migraines but I have mostly eliminated them all. I think I am going to try again and see if it happens again, and if it does I will probably go see my doctor. Unfortunately my doctor is really hard to get in to see any sooner than a 2-3 week wait.

I have been cutting down on caffeine little by little, and was getting some light headaches during the day because of those, but nowhere near the one I got yesterday after exercise. Also, I don't think I had a headache at all prior to the exercise.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice, I really appreciate them!

Ah. I wonder if your caffeine stepdown is the "1-2 level" headache I was trying to explain in my post. I always think of them pain-wise almost like "TV white noise" in the background of my head. Anyway, if you already have or even had a series of low level headaches like that, they often spike in the way you're describing due to other triggers (food, exertion, etc). I notice these headaches come back down to manageable levels but can spike to full blown migraine again for awhile.

I usually have about 1 cup of coffee a day, though my migraine pills do have caffeine in them. You're not cutting a great deal of caffeine out cold turkey, are you?
  • spragukr
    Options
    I have had a migraine issue for about 8 years or so, but the majority of them were caused by the estrogen in birth control pills. I'm now on a progesterone birth control and my migraines have almost completely disappeared, except for the random one here or there.

I am not cutting caffeine out at a drastic level. I still have one soda per day, whereas I used to have around 3 per day. Eventually I want to get off of caffeine completely but I don't want to do it too quickly because I don't want to get the withdrawal headaches, which would probably result in a migraine for me.

Sl1ngsh0t, I think you might be right in that I had a 1-2 level headache that I may have not even been able to notice. Since I've been so prone to headaches for so long, I've gotten pretty good at ignoring them completely unless they get severe or I can tell it's leading into a migraine.

I'm hoping that as I get into better shape, the migraines might lessen? But I'm not sure. I guess the only way to find out is to keep trying and see what happens.

If I get another headache the next time I exercise, I will call my doctor and arrange to set up an appointment with her.

Thanks again for the responses!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    Options
    I have had a migraine issue for about 8 years or so, but the majority of them were caused by the estrogen in birth control pills. I'm now on a progesterone birth control and my migraines have almost completely disappeared, except for the random one here or there.

I am not cutting caffeine out at a drastic level. I still have one soda per day, whereas I used to have around 3 per day. Eventually I want to get off of caffeine completely but I don't want to do it too quickly because I don't want to get the withdrawal headaches, which would probably result in a migraine for me.

Sl1ngsh0t, I think you might be right in that I had a 1-2 level headache that I may have not even been able to notice. Since I've been so prone to headaches for so long, I've gotten pretty good at ignoring them completely unless they get severe or I can tell it's leading into a migraine.

I'm hoping that as I get into better shape, the migraines might lessen? But I'm not sure. I guess the only way to find out is to keep trying and see what happens.

If I get another headache the next time I exercise, I will call my doctor and arrange to set up an appointment with her.

Thanks again for the responses!

Sounds like you're doing great with the caffeine intake! Your body may still be a bit ticked off about not having as much as it used to. You're probably already experiencing withdrawals. It doesn't take much to trigger that process AT ALL.

When I went off caffeine about 10 years ago, I was sick with migraines for two weeks. it was horrible. I reintroduced coffee but don't really drink soda. I have, however, noticed my body craves sugary drinks post-migraine. This is the only time I allow myself one Mexican Coke (sugar, not HFCS sweetened). FYI, this is also a good thing to drink if you ever have a hangover :p

Yep, we migraineurs often live with low level headaches. When I cleaned up my diet a few months ago I remember looking up at my fiancee and telling him I didn't have a headache-at all-anymore. It was amazing. I have them constantly again, but I have hormonal, fragrance, and weather triggers to contend with.

You may be able to just call your doc and ask about what to do in your situation in the meantime. It may save you a co-pay. In truth (and from my past experience, anyway). she's probably not going to tell you anything you don't already know. That's pretty standard for migraine maintenance medical advice. Docs are more likely to kowtow to you when you tell them what you need to take care of you. I'd research the issue on your own, if you haven't already. That way you can speak knowledgeably about the issue.

You know, I've definitely noticed improvement with my headaches the more fit I get. I notice my food triggers a lot more now that I eat cleaner than ever before. I have a feeling you'll adjust and be able to run just fine.

Good Luck!
  • spragukr
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help and advice! I really appreciate it!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about the weather and sun when you jogged. I used to suffer from migraines and my sister has them too. Sun and hot weather is a trigger for both of us. I don't know where you are, but it was 100 degrees here yesterday. Even at 8pm it was still 86. Hope it was a one time thing for you. I know how horrible migraines are.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I would say drink way more water.. try to get a gallon of water a day. Also, have you ever seen a chiropractor? When I first started really working out I was having really bad headaches starting in my neck and moving up. The pressure on my lower back and hips was causing misalignment. After a few sessions with a chiropractor and now a once a month maintenance adjustment and I am mostly headache free. I also have a history of migraines and take topomax as a preventative. I was having the "exercise headaches" even on the medication.
  • spragukr
    Options
    It wasn't that hot here, but it was still relatively warm. I was also wondering if that was a factor, so I'm going to try to go earlier in the mornings and see if that helps.

I will also try to get more water in. It's tough, as I feel like I am already going to the bathroom all the time from the amount I'm drinking now! Sometimes I have to go halfway through my exercise, even!

I have been on what seems like a million different drugs to try to treat/prevent my migraines, and have finally settled on a low dose of amitryptylene (spelling is wrong I'm sure) as a preventative, and the injectable imitrex as a treatment. However, as I said previously, I have mostly eliminated them completely thankfully!

Hopefully it was a one-time occurrence, or it is something that I can learn to prevent in other ways. Thanks!