HELP Tips for Blisters

Options
I originally started my journey doing the elliptical and some walking. Lately, it has turned to predominately walking (19 miles a week). When I was walking occassionally my Nike's were fine, but as I continued to add the miles I got a pair of New Balance. I have blisters all over my feet, but I can deal with that. While I am braking in my New Balance's I have horrible blisters on the back of my heels and it literally flattens me...I cant do my power walking. I have blister plasters, but they keep sliding off and exposing the blister to my sock and shoe. Anyone have tips I can use to get over this hurdle, I am really enjoying the walking. Thanks!

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    I actually tape areas up some times.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Shoes that fit shouldn't give you such serious blisters. Perhaps you could work with someone on shoe fit. I know the two running shops where I live spend significant time with each customer making sure they find a pair of shoes that are right for their feet.

If you can't get new shoes right now, try sock liners. I use them whenever I go on long hikes or backpacking trips, just because they give an extra layer of prevention from blisters. Liners fit close to your skin and absorb any of the rubbing you get from poor shoe fit, wet socks or shoe breakdown.
  • LivetoRun07
    LivetoRun07 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My favorite blister prevention tip: zinc-oxide tape.

Or, you could use petroleum jelly on your blister-prone areas so there's no friction, and as a result, no blisters

=)
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use moleskin. It is great for protecting the current blisters and keeps me from getting new ones. Also I took a hot bath and it dried out the bad blister on the bottom of my foot that had popped.
  • Brandie1558
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the information. I will go back to the New Balance store. They did spend quite a bit of time with me and took pressure point measurements or whatever. I honestly have never had blisters from shoes before so I figured it was just from all the miles I have been logging. So painful. Thanks!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    1. Were your new shoes professionally fitted and you know they are right for you?

2. Are you wearing cotton socks? You should have non-cotton socks. It helps keep moisture away from your feet to prevent blisters.

3. Lamb's wool may help prevent the hot spots that already exist from getting worse.
  • Brandie1558
    Options
    Mork - They were professionally fitted. I am not sure what kind of socks I have, but I got them at New Balance also and they said they are designed to keep the moisture away from your skin (I was already having issues with blisters on other parts of my foot, but it is the back of the heel ones that are putting me out of commission). Can I use tape or Moleskin if I already have open blisters? I used the blister plasters and went to the gym, I had to leave 2 min after I got there. :sad:
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Mork - They were professionally fitted. I am not sure what kind of socks I have, but I got them at New Balance also and they said they are designed to keep the moisture away from your skin (I was already having issues with blisters on other parts of my foot, but it is the back of the heel ones that are putting me out of commission). Can I use tape or Moleskin if I already have open blisters? I used the blister plasters and went to the gym, I had to leave 2 min after I got there. :sad:

Alright. They most likely gave you non-cotton socks. :) It sounds like that is what they did.

If you are afraid of putting the moleskin or tape directly on the wound, you could put a smaller bandaid on it first and then the other options over it.

You could also try baby powder or some other drying powder in your socks in order to prevent further blisters.

It really was trial and error with my feet prior to my new kicks. Once I got rid of all my old blisters, I haven't gotten a new blister since with my new running shoes and non-cotton socks.

I might also suggest going to a running store that sells more than one brand of shoe. NB might not be the right brand for you. For instance, I have Asics cross-trainers and Nike running shoes.
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    I get really bad blisters, too.
    I found that putting a small bandage on the blister, putting duct tape on my foot, and then putting a sock on is the best method for me.
    The duct tape does feel a bit weird, but after a minute or two I completely forget that it's there.
    Then after I'm done working out, I just peel everything off.
    It really helps my weird feet.
    Hope you find a method that works for you, too!
    xx
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I stick the moleskin right to my open blisters. I usually leave it until it falls off by itself. I even shower with it on